Beyerdynamic MMX300 Gaming Headset
Apr 2, 2014 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

rc10mike

100+ Head-Fier
Ive been wanting to try this headset for YEARS, the price has always kept me from buying. I always read mostly positive things about it, but I rarely see it mentioned and compared to others. Also, most of the reviews/threads I find are outdated.

Today was the day I finally got my hands on one.

Out of the box I love the all Black/Carbon Fiber design.

Comfort is great. Pads feel great. Clamp is more than my AKG K702, but those dont have a huge clamp anyway..

Performance wise, coming from using K702 65s (open) to the MMX300 (closed), I couldnt really tell a huge difference in soundstage. The MMX had better isolation than the K702s for sure. The MMX also had "nice" bass compared to the K702. There was definitely more of it, but it wasnt overpowering in any way. Nothing like DT990 bass. The mids sounded nice and Ill say slightly more detailed than the 702s (BTW, Im referencing the K702s so much because its currently my favorite setup for gaming). This was a good thing IMO simply because I was able to hear subtle things like footsteps a little better. Highs were a little brighter than the 702s, but nothing like DT990 highs.

Positional accuracy I would say equals that of my current setup (K702s), but its kind of early to say for sure. I need to do more testing.

Mic quality on the MMX300 is absolutely amazing. My means of testing this is recording a message on my PS4 then playing it back. Having tried this with the mic of the PC350, PC360, Astro A30, Astro A50, and even the add-on Beyer mic (like the Boom Pro), I can honestly say this is the best mic Ive heard on a headset. The only problem I have, is the mic picks up even the quietest sounds, If the PS4 had mic level control like the PS3 had, this would not be an issue.

That being said, I feel the MMX300 is an amazing headset. Whenever I try something new, Im very quick to find things I dont like, not the case this time. It has very good strengths for what its designed to do IMO. Gaming and chat.

Apr 8, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #3 of 18
That most likely has to do with its exorbitant price tag.

To be honest, the only reason I own one is because I got it for a mere $142 shipped, knowing full well there would be a problem with the spliced replacement headphone plug and I'd have to break out the soldering iron to fix it...and I did. (Still wanna fully recable this thing, though.)

At $300+? No thanks. The mic's really nice, one of the few that can effectively negate a Model M's noise in the background, but at that point, you might as well buy a DT770 and a ModMic.

I'd consider lending my set to Mad Lust Envy if that drums up interest, but the whole headphone connector issue is a cause for concern, alongside the fact that it's the older "silver" variant.

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #4 of 18
If it was me, I would have bought a pair of Bowers And Wilkins P7's and a Blue Snowball desktop mic instead. In Canada (where I live) this thing is almost $500, which is more than I would ever spend on gaming peripherals.

Aug 24, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #5 of 18
Figured Id bring this thread back from the dead to see if anyone else has some more opinions.

I really like this headset, and it performs great on my laptop with music too.

32ohms, closed back, velour pads, with a mic is pretty unique vs Beyers other lineup.

Im really hoping to see some more critical reviews on this and less of "you could get x headset with y clip on for z dollars less" stuff...after all, this is Head-Fi, where spending obscene amounts of money on good headphones is common.

Aug 28, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #6 of 18
If it was me, I would have bought a pair of Bowers And Wilkins P7's and a Blue Snowball desktop mic instead. In Canada (where I live) this thing is almost $500, which is more than I would ever spend on gaming peripherals.

Tis what I use for my PS4 though I have no issues with the mic that comes on the headphones.

Aug 28, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #7 of 18
Figured Id bring this thread back from the dead to see if anyone else has some more opinions.

I really like this headset, and it performs great on my laptop with music too.

32ohms, closed back, velour pads, with a mic is pretty unique vs Beyers other lineup.

Im really hoping to see some more critical reviews on this and less of "you could get x headset with y clip on for z dollars less" stuff...after all, this is Head-Fi, where spending obscene amounts of money on good headphones is common.

Had a nice little laugh reading this but also couldn't agree more (Sennheiser HE-90 anyone lol). Anywho no they're awesome isolation as you said is perfect for what I need/would be looking for and the soundstage is amazing I've never found any need to put a amp to it because it's very low OHM and as just mentioned its huge and very acurate soundstage.

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #8 of 18
I bought these yesterday and I've been pretty let down because I cant seem to find a way to set these with correctly with a PS4. I have an astro mixamp and that only has one input plug. So i can get the game audio through the headset ( which sounds amazing) but I cannot find a way to use the mic as well. I bought a y splitter, but that disnt work. Mine also didnt come with the sound card. Is these a way to use these with the PS4 and keep Dolby surround sound?

The 2 jacks on the MMX300s are TRS but the single jack on the A40s is a TRRS. Do I need a 2xTRS>1 TRRS splitter? Also, do the input jacks on the splitter have to be labelled as "mic" & "headphone" for them to work with a headset?

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #9 of 18
I bought these yesterday and I've been pretty let down because I cant seem to find a way to set these with correctly with a PS4. I have an astro mixamp and that only has one input plug. So i can get the game audio through the headset ( which sounds amazing) but I cannot find a way to use the mic as well. I bought a y splitter, but that disnt work. Mine also didnt come with the sound card. Is these a way to use these with the PS4 and keep Dolby surround sound?

I have this problem with the PS4 too. I have a thread on here about it. You can find some help there.

That being said, the headset itself is great, its the PS4 that wont let it work properly. The PS3 works fine with this headset.

The soundcard doesnt do any sort of Dolby processing, so you arent missing much.

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #10 of 18
Is there a way to use a separate mic, lets say a Blue Yeti in conjunction with this headset (on the PS4)? I can hear game and chat audio, but i need to figure out a way to use a mic, or i just wasted a good wad of money. I have a pair of T90s arriving in the mail soon, so if i cant use the mic, i have no use for these.

Sep 17, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #12 of 18

The 2 jacks on the MMX300s are TRS but the single jack on the A40s is a TRRS. Do I need a 2xTRS>1 TRRS splitter? Also, do the input jacks on the splitter have to be labelled as "mic" & "headphone" for them to work with a headset?

You have to have the USB plugged into the PS4 aswell. If you're using a splitter for the mic.

Oct 28, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #13 of 18
I got one. I like the ergonomics and the integrated mic. Sure a modmic would be cheaper but I prefer the factory integrated approach. 

However ... does this take a significant break in? Coming from Sennheisers here. I like 555's for everyday listening, have had all the top drawer ones too at one time or another.  So far there's a "sheen" to the upper frequencies, or something. You hear it in strings, it sounds rather sparkly in a bad way. 

Not sure yet if it's me, or my ears and these headphones, or it just needs to break in. So far some minimal break in seems to help a bit, but I would have expected better at this point. 

Edit: I should add, I also got it based on the looks. All the other headsets I've seen look designed for my 13 year old son, who I game with but don't want to look like 
smily_headphones1.gif

For comparison I have a Logitech Z906 5.1 surround sound rig for my gaming setup, which sounds surprisingly, seriously good (with games at least). 

Anyhow I'll keep and use it regardless but am hoping my ears or the cans smooth out. 

Oct 29, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #15 of 18
Ive never experienced overly "bright" highs with the MMX 300.

Yeah I'm not explaining it well. It's not brightness, it's a tonal thing. The best way I can describe it, is that it sounds like the headphones took a cheese grater to about 880Hz (A above middle C) on up. The notes up there sound somewhat shredded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back