Best Tube Amps for Grado's
Jan 28, 2008 at 11:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tunes

Headphoneus Supremus
I am searching for a tube head phone amp in the $2,000 range to be used with Grado RS-2 and GS-1000

So far have narrowed it down to:

1. Zana Deux

2. MPX3 with mods

3. Mapletree Ear + Purist HD with Mods

4. SLAM PPX3 That said, the SLAM ppx3 is a much better amp, IMO, and well worth the $200 premium. The SLAM has more speed and dynamic punch, a slightly bigger soundstage, more clarity/ transparency .... and the combination of these improvements seems to exceed the sum of the improvements. If you hear the SLAM ppx3 in direct comparison you immediately recognize the sound is a step up.*

5. Yamamoto HA-02

Any help here appreciated.

Jan 28, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 6
I can say that I like Little Dot MKIV SE with my RS-2's. All portions of sound spectrum sounds great and I can listen to any genre of music.

Jan 28, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #4 of 6
The GS1K with ZD wasn't a jaw dropper for me. It was a quality sound, but I've tried some combos that costed less that came close. My ZD is with the stock tubes, and not fully burned in, so tuberolling and more time may help.

I found the GS1K sound signature to be emphasized in a less than optimal way. A smoother sounding input tube may be the solution on the ZD if you try it. I've got the Tung Sol 6SL7 reissue.

Jan 28, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #6 of 6
If you are considering Single Power, you also want to take a look at the Extreme. I enjoy mine with my RS-1s although I did sell my GS-1000s before I received it so i can't speak on how well it does with them.

Happy Listening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back