Audio Show Hygiene: Headphone Cover Recommendations
Jul 30, 2022 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Frank Brown

New Head-Fier
Hi!
when attending an audio show I would like to put earpad covers on the headphones I try. Does anybody know of covers for HIFIMAN Edition XS ? I looked on Amazon but most seem to not go that large. Edition XS ear cup size is 5" x 4" approx 12.5 cm x 9.5 cm.

Aug 1, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #2 of 16
You're probably better off wiping the cushions with a Clorox wipe or similar. I'm actually surprised this question hasn't come up before, but maybe I've missed it and haven't searched, either.

Any cover on the headphone/cushions will affect the sound quality, ruining your efforts at sampling the headphone.

P.S. Maybe something a bit less stringent than Clorox wipes - I think they may have a bleaching effect over time, if the pads are velour or cloth.

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #3 of 16
Not exactly what you are asking for, but like tomb said, anything that covers the earpad openings will affect the sound. How about anti-bacterial hand wipes to clean the pads? I've been using something like that and so far I don't see any detrimental effects on natural or artificial leather.

Aug 1, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 16
Not exactly what you are asking for, but like tomb said, anything that covers the earpad openings will affect the sound. How about anti-bacterial hand wipes to clean the pads? I've been using something like that and so far I don't see any detrimental effects on natural or artificial leather.
If you're at an audio show, I don't know how well that's going to be received when you're wiping down headphones you don't own. Rather than risking offending someone, wouldn't it be much more easy to carry alcohol wipes and sanitize your skin after use, @Frank Brown ?

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:43 AM Post #5 of 16
@trollchu: Funny, before covid I didn’t care, but 2 years later I sanitize everything 😄. I would like to try in-ear monitors, but would not like to share in fellow audiophile’s earwax 😁. Just trying to be prepared so that I have a good experience. It’s not the end of the world if I can’t sanitize.
@tomb thanks for the idea I’ll bring some wipes. @Poganin I agree I wouldn’t regularly wipe down my headphone ear pads with Clorox wipes, but wouldn’t mind doing it at anAudio show since those are floor demos.

Aug 2, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #6 of 16
If you're at an audio show, I don't know how well that's going to be received when you're wiping down headphones you don't own. Rather than risking offending someone, wouldn't it be much more easy to carry alcohol wipes and sanitize your skin after use, @Frank Brown ?
All it takes is asking permission ahead of time. If that's not given, then you move on to another headphone.

As someone who's debuted my equipment for over a decade, I'd consider it perfectly reasonable and probably do it myself for the potential customer. (That way, I'd know what kind of wipes I was using.)

EDIT: To be perfectly honest, this concern existed well before COVID. If you think it's sanitary for someone to try on headphones that touch their hair and face, you're not understanding biology and disease transmission. :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #10 of 16
Beyerdynamic has some covers for studio work, where headphones may be used by several people. They have it well before covid, I believe.
Being from a headphone manufacturer, and intended for pro use, I imagine the covers will be fairly neutral...

Aug 3, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #11 of 16
By the way, a quick wipe and dry is not optimum. If you read the fine print on Chlorox, Lysol, Purell, etc. they generally recommend leaving the goop wet for a while -- at least 10 seconds for Chlorox.

https://www.cloroxpro.com/products/clorox/clorox-disinfecting-wipes/
  • To disinfect: Use on hard, nonporous surfaces. Wipe surface to be disinfected. Use enough wipes for treated surface to remain visibly wet for 4 minutes. Let surface dry.
  • To sanitize and deodorize: Use on hard, nonporous non-food contact surfaces. Wipe surface. Use enough wipes for treated surfaces to remain visibly wet for 10 seconds. Let surface dry.
CDC recommends a minimum of 20 seconds for alcohol-based sanitizers (like Purell).
https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/hand-sanitizer-use.html

Aug 3, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #12 of 16
Aug 5, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #14 of 16
Thank you @vmiguel. I couldn’t find the dimensions. Do you think it will fit HIFIMAN 5” x 4” i.e. 12.7 x 10.1 cm?
I've sold my DT990 over a year ago, so it's hard to tell, but the DT series have a big round earcup, so I imagine it will fit. But you can try to find the measures online and compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back