Audio-gd HE-9 MK2
Oct 27, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #106 of 177
I’m a bit confused by the Audio-GD headphone amplifiers lineup.
As far as I understand there are 4 main high end amps: HE1MK2, HE9MK2, HE1LE, HE9LE.
Now, I can see the differences between the HE and LE versions (regenerative vs linear PSU) but I’m not sure about the 1 vs 9 versions.
How do they differ sonically? I’m looking for a new solid state amp, a clear upgrade over my Fluxlab FA-12 and my headphones are HD800s, Meze Empyrean and ZMF Atrium. I’d like to add a Hifiman in the future.
Thanks for your help!

Oct 27, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #107 of 177
I think the HE-1 are preamps, not headamps.

On the HE-9LE page, Kingwa says "If customer want the best sound quality, choice the HE-9 MK2."

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #108 of 177
Gosh, you’re right!
facepalm-really.gif

At last it makes the choice easier

Oct 27, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #109 of 177
I’m a bit confused by the Audio-GD headphone amplifiers lineup.
As far as I understand there are 4 main high end amps: HE1MK2, HE9MK2, HE1LE, HE9LE.
Now, I can see the differences between the HE and LE versions (regenerative vs linear PSU) but I’m not sure about the 1 vs 9 versions.
How do they differ sonically? I’m looking for a new solid state amp, a clear upgrade over my Fluxlab FA-12 and my headphones are HD800s, Meze Empyrean and ZMF Atrium. I’d like to add a Hifiman in the future.
Thanks for your help!
I feel the HE-9 LE does a great job, does not get warm(mostly luke warm after couple of hours+)
-I am using silverplated supra xlr interconnects(100$) I am close to around 100 hours of burnin.
-I feel the sound opens up as the burnin proceeds.
-A lot of details/distortion/saturation from the tracks is easy to hear. I don´t feel it lacks behind the SE jack on the TT2

Short said it sounds neutral, it does have a touch of the analog components, but it does not get in the way, with a too "warm" sound. Its clean to my ears.

I don´t know if it is a upgrade sound quality wise(fa12), but definilty on power output. (I feel like I am powering speakers when listening to Susvara. The sound is soo big I feel present in the music)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #110 of 177
I feel the HE-9 LE does a great job, does not get warm(mostly luke warm after couple of hours+)
-I am using silverplated supra xlr interconnects(100$) I am close to around 100 hours of burnin.
-A lot of details/distortion/saturation from the tracks is easy to hear. I don´t feel it lacks behind the SE jack on the TT2

Short said it sounds neutral, it does have a touch of the analog components, but it does not get in the way, with a too "warm" sound. Its clean to my ears.

I don´t know if it is a upgrade sound quality wise(fa12), but definilty on power output. (I feel like I am powering speakers when listening to Susvara. The sound is soo big I feel present in the music)
It takes nearly 1000h to reach its peak perf. Staging will improve. I am totally happy with my he9 mkii, both as pre and hp amp. It's a gem.

Oct 28, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #111 of 177
It takes nearly 1000h to reach its peak perf. Staging will improve. I am totally happy with my he9 mkii, both as pre and hp amp. It's a gem.
Cant wait to use it as a preamp when I get active speakers. I really like how fast this headamp respond on fast tracks also. It gives me the speaker vibes on my Susvara. On my Diablo its another vibe, which I also like, but the HE9LE just give the unexplainable(esoteric) energy it feels it amplifies every element individually. Weird explaination I know.

I think this headamp justifies my Susvara. The analog signature(HE9LE) on Susvara is great. There is a mat/"dull"/neutral wall between the headamp - Susvara. This makes it really easy to distinguish how great the production(Mastering tools) is.

Oct 28, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #112 of 177

Thanks for your reply.
How do you find the HE-9 compared to the TT2, as all in one solution? From what I read, the TT2 works best as AIO box, but I’m curious to know what you get when you add the HE9-LE to the mix. Is the sound signature very different? Thanks!

Oct 28, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #113 of 177
Thanks for your reply.
How do you find the HE-9 compared to the TT2, as all in one solution? From what I read, the TT2 works best as AIO box, but I’m curious to know what you get when you add the HE9-LE to the mix. Is the sound signature very different? Thanks!
The SE on TT2 is actually pretty powerful with Arya and Susvara. Sus does need a little more power than Arya. Arya shines best on the SE than Sus.....

I was not expecting to buy headamp for the TT2 when I initially bought it, the only reason I bought one was because of Susvara and the hype of it being very hungry.

I don´t feel the XLR is behind the performance, every little small detail is there, the only difference I am suspecting is the muisicality/rythm that might be better on SE(might be placebo). In january I will record and test all the gears outputs/inputs.

If you have a easy to drive headphone I would not buy and headamp. Arya is the limit on TT2 it is just powerful enough for Arya and nothing more...

Why buy the HE9LE? = if you need a powerfull headphone output. Also if you need it as preamp for active speakers. Do I like it more than SE/TT2 output. Yes I do also for Arya, which is another beast on the HE9LE. It adds power in all the frequencies, it sounds thicker, the analog component adds body to the sound, wihtout being too warm or tubish. I get the feeling it really has a good Linear PSU built in, its so obvious from how fast it responds.

The only con is how big it is. It takes up space alot though.

So if you are looking to also have active speakers the HE9LE will probably be the best buy ever for the money. Im in search for active speakers myself :)

Oct 31, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #114 of 177
So if you are looking to also have active speakers the HE9LE will probably be the best buy ever for the money. Im in search for active speakers myself :)
I'm using Dynaudio pro active monitors + pro active sub with my HE9 Mk2.. This pro setup allows adjusting the sound further in quite a number of ways and all the components are connected via XLR (balanced)..

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2022 at 6:25 AM Post #115 of 177
I'm using Dynaudio pro active monitors + pro active sub with my HE9 Mk2.. This pro setup allows adjusting the sound further in quite a number of ways and all the components are connected via XLR (balanced)..
Do they make a sealed one?

I like dynaudio, but I gained a passion for sealed speakers after I tried the ATC loudspeakers :)

Oct 31, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #116 of 177
Do they make a sealed one?

I like dynaudio, but I gained a passion for sealed speakers after I tried the ATC loudspeakers :)
https://www.dynaudio.com/

Mine are ported.. I partially closed the port with soft material a couple of times to reduce the amount of low frequency in the balance.. was quite happy with the result for some time.. can adjust one monitor only if it is located closer to a wall.. don't think you have the same flexibility with sealed design ))

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #117 of 177
I must say I am getting more serious about audio-gd after some more listening on the HE9LE(TT2/XLR) vs the SE/TT2.

Im looking for furniture for an audio-gd stack and preparing for which dac + di20he.

Well Im still in doubt why I need DI20HE if I get the R8HEMK2 they have both the same clock crystals?

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 2:30 AM Post #118 of 177
I must say I am getting more serious about audio-gd after some more listening on the HE9LE(TT2/XLR) vs the SE/TT2.

I told you this would happen :wink:

Im looking for furniture for an audio-gd stack and preparing for which dac + di20he.

Look at Norstone, but avoid the temptation to buy one with wood shelves.

Well Im still in doubt why I need DI20HE if I get the R8HEMK2 they have both the same clock crystals?

It's much more than clock crystals. I think @FredA has said that with the new USB boards the R8 needs the DI-20 much less. But I like the DI-20 for the connectivity, if you have audio-gd DACs it's really a great piece of gear to have. If you like IIS, the DI-20 is the best interface to use with audio-gd gear.

Nov 1, 2022 at 4:16 AM Post #119 of 177
I told you this would happen :wink:

Look at Norstone, but avoid the temptation to buy one with wood shelves.

It's much more than clock crystals. I think @FredA has said that with the new USB boards the R8 needs the DI-20 much less. But I like the DI-20 for the connectivity, if you have audio-gd DACs it's really a great piece of gear to have. If you like IIS, the DI-20 is the best interface to use with audio-gd gear.
Its happening, and its going fast! 🤣

Those Norstone looks really good I have been looking for them before. I just like the idea of wheels. I have looked at Thomann(rack solution), but no luck

Ok here is my thought, and it will break with alot of challange to my logic: A well, good, perfect implemented clock, right next to the DAC is the way to go, it does not make sense to me using a clock for a single digital device. This is something that came up in the analog era of music production, where computers was the future(today) Every single piece of equipment had to sync/time in the perfect analog enviroment.

Now I see this trend everybody is buying it like bread. With the little I know I am starting to ride the wave also, but I still don´t wanna buy a clock if it does not add anything to to the sound. I mean the femto clock or whatever clock today are very fast and good right? -----

I have the Matrix Spdif2 which is bus powered by my jcat card, I hear the difference even though it subtle the rythm, optical glass, the silky smooth analog(HE9LE)

Nov 1, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #120 of 177
Its happening, and its going fast! 🤣

Those Norstone looks really good I have been looking for them before. I just like the idea of wheels. I have looked at Thomann(rack solution), but no luck

Ok here is my thought, and it will break with alot of challange to my logic: A well, good, perfect implemented clock, right next to the DAC is the way to go, it does not make sense to me using a clock for a single digital device. This is something that came up in the analog era of music production, where computers was the future(today) Every single piece of equipment had to sync/time in the perfect analog enviroment.

Now I see this trend everybody is buying it like bread. With the little I know I am starting to ride the wave also, but I still don´t wanna buy a clock if it does not add anything to to the sound. I mean the femto clock or whatever clock today are very fast and good right? -----

I have the Matrix Spdif2 which is bus powered by my jcat card, I hear the difference even though it subtle the rythm, optical glass, the silky smooth analog(HE9LE)
Oh, there are a few things going on.

There were no clocks in the analog days. Digital clocks started to become mainstream in music production in the very early 1980s I think. And the logic of one master clock running all the digital devices in the chain is still valid.

A good clock does sync all your gear- DACs, digital recorders, DDC, etc. can all (should all) be run off the same clock. A good standalone clock is better than what's available in most DACs. However, this is an expensive, incremental add-on. If you don't use one you won't miss it. The improvement is noticeable but it is not drastic. The more resolving system you have, the more a good clock becomes important.

As far as racks, you could get a studio rack on wheels or a roadie rack case on wheels, and buy shelves for gear you have that isn't rack-mountable. I will probably do this the next time instead of buying stereo shelving. Because in my setup I have very little clearance on the sides and back, and it's hard to get to the wiring without a lot of work. If I had a rack on wheels I could spin it in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back