Audeze MM-100
Mar 14, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #1,441 of 1,460
My set finally came in. I'm looking to move to something more normal sounding than my DT-1990s. I bought MM-100 because I liked single sided entry, I prefer bright(er) signatures generally, and wanted something more "all day" for WFH listening than some of my other sets.

Some random listening notes from the first couple hours:
- bass texture & quantity is good, lower mids are a bit dry
- Dynamics are ok, but not great
- it's been said before but backing up the feedback that they work very well with good recordings, but thin sounding if they're not mixed that well
- La vita nuova - Christine and the queens wasn't great
- Not super awful though. Some cans are PUNISHING with poor recordings, these aren't like that.
- timbre is solid
- I like the vocal forwardness, not as much as a focal or some ZMFs but still there

Build/comfort
- Like the new headband adjuster in general but at first, I was kinda stuck inbeween two settings and had to deal with it being a bit tight for a few hrs until the band stretched out a bit.
- Materials feel great, high quality, light (ish) and solid. I don't feel like I need to baby them.

Apr 1, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #1,444 of 1,460
I just got a pair for my brother and both drivers are playing the R ch only 💩 unlucky

Make sure the cable is fully seated into the cup, and test both sides to see if it happens on the other end.

Also, do not use aftermarket dual sided cables, as the MM-100 is not wired for traditional dual entry 3.5mm cables. Unless the cable pin out is specifically made for MM-100 or other headphones like it.

Otherwise, it is wired so that you can plug in the stock cable to either side, not for standard dual entry cables.

If you have ensured the cable is plugged in as into the headphone as possible, tested that on both ends, and still have this issue, please email support@audeze.com for assistance.

Last edited:
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Apr 26, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #1,445 of 1,460
I've had my MM-100s for a while now and am enjoying them a ton! They're my main headphone at home outside of the HAC offices. I frequently get emails / see confusion about what cables work with these cans, so I went ahead and created an info page on our site that sheds a little light on this as well as what cables we offer that work with the MM-100s. Link to that here. I've also been able to grab some pics that I thought I'd share:

TWBRA-HC-2.jpg

NK8-HC-2-635mm.jpg

NK8-HC-2-635mm B.jpg

May 2, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #1,446 of 1,460
Has anyone had a problem with the right channel fading out a bit? Mine starts out fine but after a while, if I move my head or shift the headphone a bit, I can “hear” movement in the diaphragms and the sound shifts to the left.

May 2, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #1,447 of 1,460
Has anyone had a problem with the right channel fading out a bit? Mine starts out fine but after a while, if I move my head or shift the headphone a bit, I can “hear” movement in the diaphragms and the sound shifts to the left.
Please email us at support@audeze.com for direct assistance.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
May 28, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #1,448 of 1,460
Do these need a amp/dac? I was running these off the Prime X370 Pro but thought maybe they could use more power, so i bought Ifi Zen Air, which made no difference in sound quality, just went louder with heaps of distortion and so i sold it. Maybe something higher end could be beneficial to these? i want to properly run these.

Last edited:
May 28, 2024 at 6:27 PM Post #1,449 of 1,460
Do these need a amp/dac? I was running these off the Prime X370 Pro but thought maybe they could use more power, so i bought Ifi Zen Air, which made no difference in sound quality, just went louder with heaps of distortion and so i sold it. Maybe something higher end could be beneficial to these? i want to properly run these.
In my experience, they don't require much power. I run them just fine off my Qudelix 5k, for example.

May 28, 2024 at 7:59 PM Post #1,450 of 1,460
An average product at best.

In EU, where quality matters, so far no hype.
LOL! In the EU they forbid the best tomatoes in the world (Italy) just because they fail the EU sizing standard, in the EU people buy outrageously priced "high-end" products full with cheap industrial parts you can buy from Conrad! Please...

Last edited:
May 28, 2024 at 8:06 PM Post #1,451 of 1,460
I don’t have a ton of experience with a variety of planars but this is one of the easiest to drive that I’ve ever heard. Usually there’s a looseness and lack of dynamics when a planar driver isn't getting enough juice (current?) but the MM-100 still has plenty of detail and sound pressure from even smaller portable devices.

May 28, 2024 at 9:01 PM Post #1,452 of 1,460
Just tested a cheap Douk U3 HP-amp in Class-A vs SMSL SH-9. The bass with the Douk is just a rumbling undefined something, whereas the bass of the SMSL is outstandingly clean, deep, dynamic and very well defined. Even with less demanding HP's like Sennheiser or Philips not to mention HifiMan...

Last edited:
May 29, 2024 at 8:25 AM Post #1,453 of 1,460
I don’t have a ton of experience with a variety of planars but this is one of the easiest to drive that I’ve ever heard. Usually there’s a looseness and lack of dynamics when a planar driver isn't getting enough juice (current?) but the MM-100 still has plenty of detail and sound pressure from even smaller portable devices.
Another plus for the MM-100! Thx for the info.

May 29, 2024 at 7:52 PM Post #1,454 of 1,460
So it makes no sense to get a separate dac/amp for them at all?

May 29, 2024 at 8:49 PM Post #1,455 of 1,460
So it makes no sense to get a separate dac/amp for them at all?
I dunno how good desktop DAC/amp combos have gotten these days, esp since I kinda became a separate component snob a few years ago. That AKM4499/4191 chip sounds interesting. If I was to get a desktop combo, I'd want it to use some type of ladder DAC or that chip. Or a tube combo, if that's your thing. If it came with a PEQ even better lol.

I was running the MM-100 off the 5K last night and while the sound quality wasn't the greatest, there was enough power. So in terms of quality not quantity, the headphone sounds noticeably better when driven by the Mjolnir 3 over the Jot2. My advice in these situations is usually to get a decent combo with a great DAC and then when you get bored of the built-in headphone amp, you can step up to a separate amp without having to invest in a new DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back