Android Tidal with USB DAC issue
Apr 21, 2024 at 4:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Ookamikun

New Head-Fier
Hi community,

I just noticed this while testing some DACs. When I connect the DAC (any DAC) with USB to my android phone, Tidal asks for permission and I get sound. When the track changes and the next track has a different quality, e.g. track 1 is max and track 2 is high quality, I suddenly lose sound but the track keeps playing.
Depending on the DAC I need to reconnect it, restart the DAC or switch from USB to something else and back.

Is that behavior known? Any way to mitigate this?
This makes a USB DAC with Tidal quite unusable.

Apr 21, 2024 at 8:44 AM Post #2 of 10
Depending on the DAC I need to reconnect it, restart the DAC or switch from USB to something else and back.

Is that behavior known? Any way to mitigate this?
This makes a USB DAC with Tidal quite unusable.

Which dacs exhibit this and which don't?

Apr 21, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #4 of 10
Apr 22, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #6 of 10
Confirmed for me, too. LG V60, Android 13, iFi Go Bar

If I give Tidal exclusive access to the Go Bar, MQA and FLAC do not 'always' play unless I disconnect and reconnect USB. However, if I skip forward some songs, I'll occasionally come across an MQA or FLAC file that will play on Max. This also causes some High encodes to not play.

If I do not give Tidal exclusive access, everything plays. Doesn't sound great though.

Apr 22, 2024 at 8:20 PM Post #7 of 10
Thanks a lot for confirming! Wow okay, I was hoping that maybe it was because of my weird Android version (CalyxOS).
I didn't know that it would work without giving Tidal exclusive access.

Maybe it works without problems using UAPP?

Apr 27, 2024 at 5:45 AM Post #8 of 10
Had the chance to test it with UAPP Trial and it was no problem to listen to different audio quality songs.
However, I couldn't use the Pro version because of CalyxOS which is de-googled...

I got the Gryphon in the end which is great. The Mojo2 and Shanling H7 were also very good.

When I tested it, I thought the bug went away because I tested it with Low quality song --> MQA song, which worked and played both songs correctly.
However, after coming home I noticed that low quality song --> MQA song --> low quality song didn't work 🤦
Man, that is so freaking frustrating...

I will use the Gryphon on my desktop for now which worked perfectly from the start and hope that UAPP works on my next phone where I will install GrapheneOS...

Should have gone with a DAP, damn...

Jun 5, 2024 at 4:21 AM Post #9 of 10
I too have this problem.. Samsung S24U both my ifi hipdac and fiio btr15 have this problem with no sound on changing tracks with different quality

Jun 5, 2024 at 4:39 AM Post #10 of 10
I resolved it by using USB Audio Player Pro. With that app, any kind of quality is properly played.
The downsides are that it's not possible to have songs available for offline listening (via the Tidal connection) and that it's a paid app.
You also need to have access to Google Play Services if you are on Android, so it doesn't work with CalyxOS but GrapheneOS works. No idea about iPhone, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back