Amphora Headphone Amp Impressions
Sep 15, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #241 of 307
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Over the weekend, it started drizzling and I was carrying in my chair, my HD800's, a copy of Stereophile (wouldn't want that to get wet, now, would we)?. I was also carrying my prized Amphora possession (did I mention that it was a prized possession?)
...and lo and behold, I dropped the Amphora right on the door jamb threshold (4' drop) and performed some irreparable damage.
Besides damage to the finish, it has since become more of a parallelogram than a rectangle.

I am in a deep funk and every time that I look at it, I think of a MGD 64 commercial.

Lemons to Lemonade. Time to re-case it in a hammond box and make it a real portable.

Sep 15, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #242 of 307
Quote:

Over the weekend, it started drizzling and I was carrying in my chair, my HD800's, a copy of Stereophile (wouldn't want that to get wet, now, would we)?. I was also carrying my prized Amphora possession (did I mention that it was a prized possession?)
...and lo and behold, I dropped the Amphora right on the door jamb threshold (4' drop) and performed some irreparable damage.
Besides damage to the finish, it has since become more of a parallelogram than a rectangle.

I am in a deep funk and every time that I look at it, I think of a MGD 64 commercial.

No worries brother! send that baby back to me I will operate! I can not promise you anything concrete but will give it a go..

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Sep 15, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #243 of 307
Well... i guess you can say it has personality now. I think I would drop the magazine in the future. Sorry about your luck.

Sep 15, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #244 of 307
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lemons to Lemonade. Time to re-case it in a hammond box and make it a real portable.

I was thinking of using a shoe box, leaving the top open, and making a diorama out if it
normal_smile .gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No worries brother! send that baby back to me I will operate! I can not promise you anything concrete but will give it a go.

Seriously Ken? Wow, that's awfully generous of you. I think that it's property line needs to go from a quarter of an acre to a 1/5. It should get better gas mileage now, though.
redface.gif
, less coefficient of friction and all that!

Sep 15, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #245 of 307
Quote:

I am in a deep funk and every time that I look at it ...

As a fellow Amphora owner, when I read the above, I felt a sharp pain straight up my spinal column just thinking about it. I wish you the best with what you decide to do with that gem. Ken's giving its restoration "a go" seems to me to be worth a whole lot more than the concrete promises of many. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something very satisfying to me about the shoe box idea as well.....

I'm with you in feeling the pain of the damage to such an object of beauty. I wish you the best in figuring out in what direction you want to take its repair: an attempt at restoration or an opportunity for transformation.

Sep 16, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #248 of 307
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnie R. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And if it needs some re-wiring help after Ken works on it, Ken will send it my way and I'll take care of that part for you, Aaron
wink.gif

See he will not let me touch the guts of his baby
normal_smile .gif

Thanks Vinnie I will get the enclosure and hardware all rectified and send it your way, at least I hope... will see how bad the patient is.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Sep 16, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #252 of 307
Aaron,
I noticed in your post describing the accident that you mentioned carrying in your HD800's. There's been a lot of discussion about what kind of ampage it takes to make the HD800 worth getting. So, I'm interested in your take on the HD800 and the Amphora. Have you posted somewhere on how the Amphora and HD800 work together? If so, I'll find it with the Search function, so a yes or no will give me all I need.

Sep 17, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #253 of 307
Quote:

Aaron,
I noticed in your post describing the accident that you mentioned carrying in your HD800's. There's been a lot of discussion about what kind of ampage it takes to make the HD800 worth getting. So, I'm interested in your take on the HD800 and the Amphora. Have you posted somewhere on how the Amphora and HD800 work together? If so, I'll find it with the Search function, so a yes or no will give me all I need.

I have the isabellina hpa which has the amphora headphone amp in it. It drives my hd800 to loud levels easily. They sound very good through this amp as well. I believe ipoddj stated he thought the hd800 sounded pretty good with the amphoria and there is some posts in the isabellina hpa threads about how it does with the hd800 also.

Sep 17, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #254 of 307
Quote:

I have the isabellina hpa which has the amphora headphone amp in it. It drives my hd800 to loud levels easily. They sound very good through this amp as well. I believe ipoddj stated he thought the hd800 sounded pretty good with the amphoria and there is some posts in the isabellina hpa threads about how it does with the hd800 also.

See:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/red...na-hpa-441696/

Sep 17, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #255 of 307
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aaron,

I feel that the HD800/Amphora combo needs a little more gain. Even in Hi gain, I am at the last 25% of the volume switch to properly amp the Senns.
B4 my unfortunate incident, I was going to ask Vinnie if he could increase the gain for "hi gain mode", by 2 or 3 just for the 800's. It drives everything else with the greatest of ease.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back