ALO/ Red Wine Audio Desk Top Headphone Amp (Amphora) W/ PHOTOS
Feb 20, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #31 of 203
Ken,
give us your first listening impressions.
PLEASE.
How it sound with GS1000 ?
Time of burning hours for the caps inside ?

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #32 of 203
HI all,

I am starting a waiting list for the Amphoras. If your are interested in picking one up please email me so I can get you lined up. I will be releasing sales to the folks on this list first crack. Please indicate what your preference is.

imod/ipod

or

Non ipod/imod (the standard Amphora has 2 input selects, a RCA and mini imput)

Then wood type

Padauk OR Walnut

Audiolineout@gmail.com

Also keep in mind that for my international customers I will have an adapter prong that will work with the USA charger in your country, these will be an extra $3 for the adapter and will allow you to use the supplied charger.

Thanks

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Feb 20, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #33 of 203
I just found out that I will be taking a road trip from Vancouver Canada to Battle Mountain Navada this spring. It will take me through Washigton, Oregon, Idio and Navada.I will have to wait and see when this trip would take place but I am thinking in May some time.I could stop by and buy one of your amps when I am in Oregon or if it turns out these are hot sellers I may have to get my hands on one in advance of my road trip.
k701smile.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #34 of 203
Ken could you post pictures :
One in Padauk and a second in Walnut ?
It can be usefull to make a choice.
Thank you.

Feb 21, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #35 of 203
Ken and Vinnie, that is one beautiful amp. I really look forward to more impressions as well as pictures of the paduak enclosure which should be stunning.

Are the two headphones out in parallel? Thanks.

Feb 21, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #36 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rico67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ken could you post pictures :
One in Padauk and a second in Walnut ?

Since you probably don't have one completed in Padauk, yet, could you just post a pic of two planks of the two colors?

Feb 21, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #37 of 203
Sorry about getting a little ahead of ourselves here. I should have some photos of everything later in the week next week. But the Padauk is like this.

Padauk color

However a buddy of mine who works at the Joinery turned me one to the finish they use and I bought some of it and have been using The Joinery's formula for a finish, I am also using it on the inside of the box as well. This is a blend of natural oils, Tung oil, Lindseed, and Soybean that penetrate and seals the wood. They use this on all their furniture and it looks and more importantly feels wonderful, very natural. I am going over this will a wax and buff. So the Padauk actually looks better than the Jensen Super dock seen above IMO.

Thanks

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Feb 22, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #38 of 203
Thanks to Ken and Vinnie for their support for the Carolina Audio Society and our big headfi meet.

The meet was very well attended. Joe Grado gave a wonderful and informative 1 hour presentation. And I had lots of visitors to hear RWA and the Amphora gear.

For the most part I put the Amphora front and center, either driving ALO cabled AKG K702s, or on occasion, a headphone brought by an attendee.

There were a lot of pricey rigs at this meet. Probably more than you’d expect in a small city like Charlotte, so technically the Amphora was a budget product by comparison.

At this point no one has posted comments for the meet on in Comments Tread, so it may be a day or more before others provide their feedback. But I received a number of favorable comments. One of the most telling was that a number of people commented that they previously had not liked the sound of AKG headphones (like 701s). One even said he bought and returned a recabled pair from one of ALO's competitors.

The universal complaint was they thought AKGs were too bright. Yet everyone who made this comment felt the AKGs were NOT bright via the Amphora rig. Too this I would agree. The AKGs were IMO (for my taste) one of the best cans I heard at my table (not counting the K1000s driven straight from the Signature 30.2, which is a whole 'nother animal.)

In time we will hear what others have to report. But for me, I had a blast. And felt proud to have ALO / RWA gear featured at my table.

Good listening. Kent

Feb 22, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #40 of 203
yes, but carolina doesn't talk about the sound quality exepted than AKG sound less bright ...
Waiting more comments.

Feb 22, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #41 of 203
I have to say I am quite eager to get some first hand impressions as well.
This could be a very nice all rounder for the office as well as some business travel - the iMod "Capped" connection and the 1/8'' plug + battery support that idea :)

Feb 22, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #42 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the two headphones out in parallel? Thanks.

Hi mrarroyo,

Yes - the two headphone outputs are in parallel. The Amphora has no trouble with low impedance loads. So even if you connect two 32-ohm headphones in parallel (16-ohm equivalent load), it is not a problem...

Vinnie

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #43 of 203
What are the impedances input (lin in) and output ( preamp ) ?
Thanks.

Feb 23, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #44 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rico67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are the impedances input (lin in) and output ( preamp ) ?
Thanks.

Hi Rico67,

Input impedance = 20k
Preamp Output impedance is < 100 ohms

-Vinnie

Feb 23, 2009 at 8:43 AM Post #45 of 203
Thanks Vinnie for all replies so far, yet here's me with another silly question.
I may have missed it in one of the earlier posts so far but would have one more querie in the power supply
normal_smile .gif

Will the amp be powered in any case by the internal battery even when the wall wart is plugged in?
In other words is the wall wart just for charging or can/will the amp be powered by the wall wart when plugged in?
I seem to remember that the Isabella had a switch to change between wall wart and battery but maybe I got this wrong...

Thanks again,
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back