Aegis DIY Tube Headphone Amplifier
May 19, 2024 at 8:39 AM Post #2,431 of 2,590
I used to work with a guy who could roughly guess the voltage left in a 9V by putting it on his tongue. He was an odd fellow. Probably spent too much time putting batteries on his tongue.
Lol... yeah, maybe not a skill that would get him far with Britains Got Talent... or any other country for that matter!

May 19, 2024 at 8:40 AM Post #2,432 of 2,590
Lol... yeah, maybe not a skill that would get him far with Britains Got Talent... or any other country for that matter!

It would be more appropriate for "Britain's Got Too Much Time On Their Hands."

May 19, 2024 at 8:43 AM Post #2,433 of 2,590
I used to work with a guy who could roughly guess the voltage left in a 9V by putting it on his tongue. He was an odd fellow. Probably spent too much time putting batteries on his tongue.

I need a GVM (glossal voltmeter) rated up to 600V, might save me a few bucks on batteries for my DMM. Can this man help me?

May 19, 2024 at 8:45 AM Post #2,434 of 2,590
May 19, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #2,435 of 2,590
I need a GVM (glossal voltmeter) rated up to 600V, might save me a few bucks on batteries for my DMM. Can this man help me?

I'd be curious to see him try.

May 19, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #2,436 of 2,590
Anyone have a good source for EL37 or RCA 5691 tubes, or should I just hunt on Ebay?

I'm getting a production Aegis and need to get my favorite tube roll that I used when reviewing the DIY version.

May 19, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #2,437 of 2,590
Anyone have a good source for EL37 or RCA 5691 tubes, or should I just hunt on Ebay?

I'm getting a production Aegis and need to get my favorite tube roll that I used when reviewing the DIY version.
I wish I could help you out with those two, and would love to know this as well. Those are the two hottest/most popular tubes for this amp it seems. . .

May 19, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #2,438 of 2,590
I wish I could help you out with those two, and would love to know this as well. Those are the two hottest/most popular tubes for this amp it seems. . .
Yeah, I wish I had a box full of each 😀

May 19, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #2,439 of 2,590

Keeping an eye on eBay is likely your best shot. I got my rca 5691s red base on there and only paid $90/pair. Great tubes. Seems these aren’t that hard to find.

EL37s seem to take some patience. I got a pair with hairline cracks from tubeworldexpress a few months ago so was half the price of usual. Told me they should sound great and they do. They don’t appear to have anymore right now. I actually don’t use my 37s much. I find them a bit too dark on a lot of music using my Atriums. They were great with the Verite Closed I had for a bit. Guessing they are great w most neutral to leaning bright cans. To my ear, the darker sound of the atrium is a better match w EL38. But I can see those as possibly too bright of a tube for a lot of headphones out there.

Good luck!

May 19, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #2,440 of 2,590
I can get away with the EL38s with the Meze Elites for most genres but I use the rectifier to help warm, thicken the sound… or lighten if using warmer EL37 & EL39 tubes.

More recently, I’ve also found the ECC35 are very good at adding weight and warmth to brighter tube combinations while providing possibly the best imaging I’ve heard but they’re not as dynamic as the 5691s.

So many tubes and combinations available it requires a bit of experimenting to find the right combos to suit the chain, genre and preferences. A lot of fun to be had!!

May 20, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #2,441 of 2,590
Well, the final piece of the jigsaw turned up and after some butchering / tweaks I think I’m happy with the badge. It was supposed to have black text but … errr, that ended up as engraved only! It’s growing on me though 😂

IMG_6885.jpeg

IMG_6881.jpeg

May 21, 2024 at 1:20 AM Post #2,442 of 2,590
Well, the final piece of the jigsaw turned up and after some butchering / tweaks I think I’m happy with the badge. It was supposed to have black text but … errr, that ended up as engraved only! It’s growing on me though 😂

IMG_6885.jpeg

IMG_6881.jpeg

This is one nice looking Aegis. Great work!! I am gathering components for my own build, how do you like the elrog 274b? I am debating if I should get an elrog or takatsuki.

May 21, 2024 at 2:08 AM Post #2,443 of 2,590
Thank you 🙏🏻

I've tried to move back to the Brimar 5R4GY and the Mullard GZ34 on a few occasions but it doesn't last. I love the realism I get from the Elrog274b. It's hard o explain but in my setup, everything feels bigger. Like going from a room to a hall. The notes seem to carry more, bass is tight and textured and the highs are detailed but liquid smooth as well. When I move to the Brimar, notes seem to stop faster and the sense of being there isn't as strong. I really like both other tubes so I may need to make an effort for a longer spell with them again.

I listen to anything from EDM, Trance to Jazz and Classical without the need for changing the rectifier. I tend to keep that in place now and swap between 5691 & ECC35 / EL38, EL39 & KT88 to create the right balance for me based on my chain.

The Takasuki 274b is possible my next big tube purchase I think. Not sure when but it's one that has my interest a due to the way the Elrog 274b has performed. Although I expect them to be quite different. I've read great things about it so I guess you probably can't go to far wrong with either!

Edit. What I would say, is when the Elrog dies, I'll be buying a replacement the same day.

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 6:02 AM Post #2,444 of 2,590
Thank you 🙏🏻

I've tried to move back to the Brimar 5R4GY and the Mullard GZ34 on a few occasions but it doesn't last. I love the realism I get from the Elrog274b. It's hard o explain but in my setup, everything feels bigger. Like going from a room to a hall. The notes seem to carry more, bass is tight and textured and the highs are detailed but liquid smooth as well. When I move to the Brimar, notes seem to stop faster and the sense of being there isn't as strong. I really like both other tubes so I may need to make an effort for a longer spell with them again.

I listen to anything from EDM, Trance to Jazz and Classical without the need for changing the rectifier. I tend to keep that in place now and swap between 5691 & ECC35 / EL38, EL39 & KT88 to create the right balance for me based on my chain.

The Takasuki 274b is possible my next big tube purchase I think. Not sure when but it's one that has my interest a due to the way the Elrog 274b has performed. Although I expect them to be quite different. I've read great things about it so I guess you probably can't go to far wrong with either!

Edit. What I would say, is when the Elrog dies, I'll be buying a replacement the same day.
Good stuff, is the Elrog 274B still available? For some reason I thought Thomas quit making that tube. . . :thinking: I hope I am wrong though.

Also, for reference what version of Mullard GZ34 do you have?

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 6:14 AM Post #2,445 of 2,590
Good stuff, is the Elrog 274B still available? For some reason I thought Thomas quit making that tube. . . :thinking: I hope I am wrong though.
Yeah, still available... the only trouble I've seen was with Woo amps where the circuit wasn't performing exactly as required for the 274b. It would flash bright on startup I think and potentially blow the filament. Not sure of the exact technical problem but it seemed to only be related to how Woo amps operated. For those amps it was recommended to use ER5U4G.

Other than that there was the quality control issues prior to Thomas taking over but he sorted all that out quite a while back now. The 274b & 274a are both listed on Elroy's website as well as being sold via the UK distributor. I'd imagine that will be the same in the US. Certainly haven't seen anything about them being pulled.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back