Absolutely Best Money-No-Object Amp for Hd-600/650
Aug 19, 2005 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

neilvg

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello Folks,

I'm sure a discussion surrounding this topic may have occured before, but here I am to bring it back to see what any current opinions are. I'd rather not have this turn into a debate thread but rather just some friendly opinions.

My equipment is as follows currently:

HD600 & 650 w/Cardas Cables
Esoteric DV50-s w/ Cardas Golden Cross Interconnects (2m)
Headroom Supreme

Obviously the headroom supreme represents the bottleneck so to speak in the system. Possibly even the headphones may not be capable of delivering all the goods the DV50 is capable of transmitting. Any opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Neil

Aug 19, 2005 at 5:33 PM Post #2 of 32
If it's cost-no-object, then you should go Balanced. Would need to recable the headphones - the cardas version ranges from $150-$250 depending on length.

I can't work out from the new balanced headroom amps if you need balanced input to run the headphones in balanced drive. Anyone know about that?

Aug 19, 2005 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 32
I can't work out from the new balanced headroom amps if you need balanced input to run the headphones in balanced drive. Anyone know about that?
========

I'm not sure what your trying to say here. Also, in my opinion, although balanced cables are superior technically speaking, and can help to cut out some forms of electrical interference, w/ two identical cables, oh let's say, cardas golden reference, balanced v.s. unbalanced, I ONLY notice a 6 db difference in volume (3db left / right). When I (now this may just be me) performed a blind test with the corresponding 6db difference matched, I could not tell the difference at all, not at all. 0. Of course at first the balanced sounds better because the subjective 'loudness' makes it seem that way. Also another thing to take into consideration is if the amp is already being pushed, a cable with the ability to deliver greater bandwidth would (i'm supposing here) strain the amp a little less, and what some might be hearing is a more natural strain-free sound with balanced cables. Again, I believe this is primarily due to a over-burdened amp.

Neil

Aug 19, 2005 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 32
Singlepower SDS XLR and Sft Dynamight are obvious candidates even if they are not in the same price range. Headroom Max Balanced too but it is not yet available.

Aug 19, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #5 of 32
Singlepower SDS XLR and Sft Dynamight are obvious candidates even if they are not in the same price range.
========

What do you mean not in the same price range? How much do they go for?
To keep this in perspective, the DV50s currently sells for $6K.

Neil

Aug 19, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #7 of 32
Headroom Max-balanced.

Aug 19, 2005 at 6:39 PM Post #8 of 32
Actually, once you're done with the upgrades you may want (kind of like a Porsche, eh?) the SDS XLR will go for more than $10k. Call Singlepower and Mikhail's great talking with you about the sound you're looking for. There are threads on "balanced" in this (or the headphone forum) you can search for.

Dunno if I'd go this nuts for a HD650 rig, as I'd rather HE90 at these prices.
biggrin.gif

But at that stage you might start feeling your source was the bottleneck!

Best regards,

-Jason

Aug 19, 2005 at 6:44 PM Post #9 of 32
SDS-XLR if money is no object. Supra-XLR will put you in the same price range as most the other balanced amps $2-3K. Balanced Zu cable 240.00.
600smile.gif

Aug 19, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #11 of 32
Are you interested in the highest price or in the highest quality???

Best!
Nicola

Aug 19, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #12 of 32
Translated: Best SQ. Also, at the higher price ranges it'd be nice if it looked sexy also. But, I'm in this for the sound quality and unfortunately in our world, that comes at a price. I'm not however interested in bragging rights, or simply to display an expensive piece of junk.

Neil

Aug 19, 2005 at 8:41 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg
Translated: Best SQ. Also, at the higher price ranges it'd be nice if it looked sexy also. But, I'm in this for the sound quality and unfortunately in our world, that comes at a price. I'm not however interested in bragging rights, or simply to display an expensive piece of junk.

Neil

I'm pretty sure the HE90 + HEV90 Orpheus rig is hard to beat.

There's a BRAND NEW set selling in Australia for $16,000 USD.. maybe it is fate that they are available to you now..

https://www.streetwise.com.au/produc...52102478046de1

You get this setup.. you can forget about coming back to Head-Fi.. it's over man, over! Except maybe for source upgrades,
tongue.gif

Aug 19, 2005 at 8:59 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
You get this setup.. you can forget about coming back to Head-Fi.. it's over man, over! Except maybe for source upgrades,
tongue.gif

He already has one of the better digital source available.
600smile.gif

Aug 19, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #15 of 32
The orpheus (he90/hev90) is the best system ever made imo. The only thing I could imagen coming close would be maybe l3k balanced > sds-xlr (totally maxed) or maybe 010. The hd650/hd600/hd580 are great but even ask singlepower and they will tell you that the r10 (and any other high end headphone ) is going to sound better then the hd650 on the same amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back