A Sensational, Fantastic, And Simply Amazing New Binaural Album By Chesky!
Dec 6, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #136 of 148
Quote:
I just watched a video with a roundtable discussion on a bunch of the most famous music producers, mastering engineers, etc. and many/all seemed to agree that SACD was the closest to the master tapes, so I'd love to hear some but the limited amount of material is kind of, well, limiting
redface.gif
(discussion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY5hI98HEi0 )
And I know mastering is a big deal, but it seems like the music I would listen to isn't stuff that is a serious thing with mastering. Like (good!) hip hop, and modern rock (Skillet, Breaking Benjamin etc.), and metal (Disturbed and Black Sabbath and maybe Metallica). Well I was gonna keep an eye out for different masters on the Black Sabbath and I noticed a difference on some vinyl rips of Metallica's black album vs. the streaming (but that's FLAC vs. MP3 anyway) but the other stuff, I mean....*shrug*
I like vinyl and it probably sounds better because of the better mastering and stuff on them for the audiophile market vs. CDs, but I wish there were such thing as "Audiophile" or "Vinyl-Mastered" CDs that were just the superior vinyl master on CD. Maybe that's what SACD is?

The Super Audio CD is inherently limited in the performance increase it offers by the capacity and throughput constraints of the Compact Disc.  I wanted to investigate the possibility of better approaching the seamlessness of analog via the Digital Versatile Disc Audio format, which is capable of at least 24/192 stereo or binaural performance in typical album durations (DVD has already demonstrated 24/48 performance in multichannel audio formats); the Sony® Blu-Ray®, a further evolution of the DVD, is potentially capable of 24/192 multichannel audio.

Dec 6, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #137 of 148
The Super Audio CD is inherently limited in the performance increase it offers by the capacity and throughput constraints of the Compact Disc.  I wanted to investigate the possibility of better approaching the seamlessness of analog via the Digital Versatile Disc Audio format, which is capable of at least 24/192 stereo or binaural performance in typical album durations (DVD has already demonstrated 24/48 performance in multichannel audio formats); the Sony® Blu-Ray®, a further evolution of the DVD, is potentially capable of 24/192 multichannel audio.

Hopefully someday soon people will wake up to wanting better audio quality and then that technology will develop further and have more material.

Dec 17, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #138 of 148
Quote:
I just watched a video with a roundtable discussion on a bunch of the most famous music producers, mastering engineers, etc. and many/all seemed to agree that SACD was the closest to the master tapes, so I'd love to hear some but the limited amount of material is kind of, well, limiting
redface.gif
(discussion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY5hI98HEi0 )
And I know mastering is a big deal, but it seems like the music I would listen to isn't stuff that is a serious thing with mastering. Like (good!) hip hop, and modern rock (Skillet, Breaking Benjamin etc.), and metal (Disturbed and Black Sabbath and maybe Metallica). Well I was gonna keep an eye out for different masters on the Black Sabbath and I noticed a difference on some vinyl rips of Metallica's black album vs. the streaming (but that's FLAC vs. MP3 anyway) but the other stuff, I mean....*shrug*
I like vinyl and it probably sounds better because of the better mastering and stuff on them for the audiophile market vs. CDs, but I wish there were such thing as "Audiophile" or "Vinyl-Mastered" CDs that were just the superior vinyl master on CD. Maybe that's what SACD is?

I agree here. SACD does not only offer higher resolution but also way better mastering process.

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #139 of 148
There's just been a new addition to the Binaural+ album collection:

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HX090368035967

I'm surprised that HDtracks has done nearly no advertizing for the Binaural+ albums since the sensational/fantastic/amazing album. The last 3 didn't even make it to the featured 'New Albums' on the front page.

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #140 of 148
Quote:
There's just been a new addition to the Binaural+ album collection:

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HX090368035967

I'm surprised that HDtracks has done nearly no advertizing for the Binaural+ albums since the sensational/fantastic/amazing album. The last 3 didn't even make it to the featured 'New Albums' on the front page.

Which do you mean (which album is sensational/fantastic/amazing) ?

Thanks!  
smile_phones.gif

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #143 of 148
Quote:

Which do you mean (which album is sensational/fantastic/amazing) ?

Thanks!  
smile_phones.gif

Quote:
The one this thread is originally about. :wink:

basshead.gif
   Holy cow ... It's hard to believe I didn't pick up on that! 

Thank you.

and I will be getting that Sensational album, as soon as I can get things straight with HDtracks downloads (I'm having trouble with it).

beerchug.gif

Aug 22, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #146 of 148
@jude seems Dr. Chesky is not doing binaural no more... or being active on the forums... found this... may be of interest to Head-Fi.org too...
This reminded me about SYN, actually, more exactly, about what the crazy Schiit people could be doing with a future SYN... of the future.

A future with full surround, with just 2 speakers, doing sound hula hoops, concentric balls of sound around your head, with 360 degree surround density, to replace the current, totally wrong and corrupted (by the, but not limited to, McGurk effect), stereo and surround reproduction industry...

all of that and much more in that interview with David Chesky on EnjoyTheMusic by Steven R. Rochlin... about... wait for it... the truth! (about audio reproduction of course )...

featuring the work of Dr. Edgar Choueiri (E.Y. Choueiri Binaural Audio Through Loudspeakers (Ch 5). Immersive Sound: The Art and Science of Binaural and Multi-Channel Audio . Focal Press; 1st edition (October 2017)).

Cheers!

12145369.jpg

p.s. @Jason Stoddard yup, no wine, sooorryyy... not

Sep 14, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #147 of 148
Same here. However, it applies to pretty much -any- binaural album I have listened to, not just this one. They all seem to put the whole stage backwards a certain amount compared to regular stereo (ex.: Ottmar Liebert's Up Close, an excellent album) And I have never heard -any- album (binaural or stereo) that puts the sound really, truly -in front- of you.

Listening to the SPL's Phonitor demo, crossfeed-based solutions don't make much of difference either.

The Phonitor can make any album into binauaral, that's what the Matrix does. It's very subtle and needs some playing around with per album or even per song when each song is recorded differently. And it is hard to hear on most of the headphones I have. On the HD 800s (not S) the effects of the Matrix were immediately discernible though.

The only album I have listened to that seems to have the least issue with the above is the Cowboy Junkies Live one, but that was a hybrid mix putting together the binaural recording for ambiance with standard microphone feeds off the board.

If the point is making bad recordings (bad in the spatial sense) sound good on headphones, then the Phonitor 2 is probably as good as it gets; next would be a Meier amp with cross-feed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back