7 Year long search for the perfect upgrade... I want to upgrade from my Sennheiser HD598/ZMF Aeolus
May 3, 2023 at 2:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

melibond

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'd like to reach out for help. I've tried and owned many headphones since when I first bought my Sennheiser HD598, but, I haven't found anything that I like more than them.

I currently have a ZMF Aeolus that I've been using for the past few years. I've been content with it, and, even deeply appreciative at times, but, I brought out my Sennheiser HD598 yesterday, and, I haven't gone back to them since.
I love bass, and, I love warmth. The ZMF Aeolus was praised for this, which is why I bought it, but, I can say that the difference is night and day between them. There is some bass that I don't even hear on the ZMF Aeolus when comparing to the HD598.
What I love about the ZMF Aeolus, is the detail, and natural sound when it comes to vocals, and instruments (imaging is great too). But, when it comes to soundstage, it's very small. Like a bubble as big as my head, or, a little bit bigger.
When playing games, in scenarios where explosions or gunshots occur, with the HD598, I can feel the bass in my chest, and, when explosions happen, I can feel the bass massaging my head/vibrate my brain. Bullets flying by have a real sense of space and distance. With the Aeolus, the bullet flies by too quickly for me to feel it go by or sense the distance it travelled from. (I edited this part. To be clearer.)
I've owned many headphones before the Aeolus. Some I can remember are the Audio Technica MX50, Sennheiser HD700 (which I heavily modded), and the rest I got up to find are the AT AD900X the Fostex THX00 (Modified with a mod kit), and Koss Porta Pro. I may've tried one or two other headphones, ah yes, the Focal Clear, or Utopia, I think. I had it for a few weeks. And, from what I'm finding on my amazon orders, the AT ATH-ADX 5000 (I remember it).
So, I'm considering on selling my ZMF Aeolus, and, reinvesting the money elsewhere. Potentially, something that sounds similar to the HD598 but with better detail, and intimacy, since, I love that about the ZMF Aeolus. If I don't find something, I'll maybe sell the ZMF Aeolus nonetheless, or, use it, but, rarely. I love it, a lot. The first time I bought it (used), I had to send it back after a day, and, it was very emotional (money reasons). I fell in love with how they move me. But, so much movement is left to the side, without the necessary soundstage and sensory bass.

I'd appreciate it a lot, if You could help me.
Edit : I am finding myself back to the Aeolus, but, I recognize what I love about the HD598...
I love the detail of the Aeolus, but, I love the soundstage of the HD598. I love the imaging and clear space between vocals and instruments in the Aeolus, but, without the soundstage for it, the air is too tight, and, I even feel clostrophobic at times. And, the last detail is the bass. I want to be able to feel gunshots in my chest, and, explosions to vibrate my skull, while sensing the depth of the explosion and distance of travelled bullets.

I realize that I'm not explaining well. Sorry.

Maybe, all I'm really looking for is something like the ZMF Aeolus, but, with better bass, and, bigger soundstage.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back