The New Chord Quartet MScaler Discussion Thread
May 16, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #121 of 200
Maybe fight for used choral mscalers lol .... not sure i can wait that long

May 16, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #123 of 200
Everyone reading this thread is a volunteer, if they buy any of the Scalers.

Anyone would think they were forced to buy them, with a gun in their backs.
Considering the expected sound quality gain…I am forced to (happily) buy😄

May 16, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #124 of 200
Another one

I like the part where Rob says “It’s scalin’ time!!!”

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #125 of 200
Everyone reading this thread is a volunteer, if they buy any of the Scalers.

Anyone would think they were forced to buy them, with a gun in their backs.
I am not supposed to deny or confirm if said gun is behind my back ...

May 16, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #126 of 200
Hmm, so did I, ie. I bought an Mscaler to go with my Qutest also as soon as it was launched and although even with the supplied bnc cables there was an easily audible improvement in SQ over Qutest on its own, I also went through the VERY expensive but even more audible improvement of adding ferrited BNC cables Storm and Stream.
Both very expensive but good enough to make the final cost equal to paying for Qutest two times worth it for me.
I posted my take on the upcoming Quartet scaler over at the Qutest thread a couple of days ago.
My money is also most likely to say in my pocket .
But in quite strong defence of Rob's mscaling tech as such ,as recently as yesterday I audioned a pair of electrostatic speakers that could/should potentially beat my pair having both bigger E- panels and 12" bass over the 10" in mine. But although I played some of my reference material were I have been at the recording sessions, I have to say that the some 6k € CD player from Gryphon used did not stand a chance against mscaled CD in a similarly mid- sized room as mine .
It exposed all the flaws I hear with non mscaled cd hard,sterile and at loud levels almost painful to hear compared to how I am used to hear things in both my system and know how it sounded live. Whether the Request ML speakers are better than mine would have to be decided under better conditions than cd only. And ideally in my room and system. Until then my money stays firmly in my pocket. I am as the saying goes quite a "happy camper" as things stand. But I will definitely audition the Quartet Scaler when an opportunity to do so comes. My mscaling experience made me this former Atheist a firm Believer. But i agree with you," RF voodoo "should have been fixed in the first place.
And I can't help suspecting that all the psu discussions here made Rob think twice about power supplies before launching Quartet Scaler.

Cheers CC
It is exactly the same thing that happened to me, I also listened to Gryphon, it was to me a complete waste of money, my Parasound with M scaler/TT-2 blew all their stuff away, and yes I can afford their stuff it was still a waste, it didn't move me one bit.

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #127 of 200
No matter how good it sounds tweaks will abound. Best allow for an additional couple thousand when budgeting.

May 16, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #128 of 200
I wonder how much the 4 million taps will compare to the million on Mscaler? I like how RF is being mitigated with Filter and 3 stages of isolation. Interesting that they went with a separate power supply. Wondering if its linear or not. So 15k - 20k ... I need to hear it first ...

I really want comparisons with current mscaler. Hope its more night and day than original mscaler which I didn't hear a huge difference when I owned one ...

May 17, 2024 at 1:38 AM Post #130 of 200
John Darko was there too..
Skip to about 10:20 of the clip

New fact: Quartet has a 10 band EQ 😀

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 2:12 AM Post #131 of 200
I think it’s great that here will be an upgrade that doesn’t mean I have to replace my DAVE. I think most of the MScaler and DAVE criticisms are minor, really they are “set and forget it” products. I have used the remote to change inputs and just don’t see any issues with that. It’s not complicated or clunky. I don’t remember ball colors though but again these aren’t settings you’d be changing often. If reasonably affordable I’ll be getting the Quartet Scaler and power supply. I just don’t think there’s a newer or more advanced DAC, different yes, but not necessarily a leap in functionality or tech. I think it speaks volumes that so many other brands have implemented FPGAs. It’s also rare that designers are as open as RW and willing to put themselves out there. I’ve owned 4 Chord products and while the Poly was clunky they all sounded damn good.

May 17, 2024 at 3:40 AM Post #133 of 200
Perfect, absolutely perfect
Yes that’s absolutely great! I like 10 band a lot. After trying all the parametric eq compensation profiles, I have to say that they color the sound too much. A tiny peak here, a tiny dip there… this destroys the house sound and is never accurate to everyone’s ear. I am back to mild adjustments with 10 band eq according to my preferences and it sounds great.

May 17, 2024 at 3:51 AM Post #134 of 200
May 17, 2024 at 4:45 AM Post #135 of 200
Yes that’s absolutely great! I like 10 band a lot. After trying all the parametric eq compensation profiles, I have to say that they color the sound too much. A tiny peak here, a tiny dip there… this destroys the house sound and is never accurate to everyone’s ear. I am back to mild adjustments with 10 band eq according to my preferences and it sounds great.
Let’s just hope it has some save slots. Adjusting that 10 band eq every time I change headphone or to speakers would be a pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back