Mid Fi - General chat for all discussions and general chat a Thread for all.
May 1, 2024 at 10:54 PM Post #331 of 377
lol, time to pack it up y'all, mid-fi is dead! 🤣

"It’s time to forget everything you thought you knew
about price-to-performance in audio,
because mid-fi is dead."

May 1, 2024 at 11:18 PM Post #332 of 377
I don't have a preferred frequency graph. My main preference is.. iems that give me goosebumps.

Totally agree. Our brain has the uncanny ability to “Eq” itself as well. Unless there is a bad peak, significant imbalance, or maybe some other problems not evident on the graph, I find that most IEM would eventually render orchestra right, whilst still imbuing their unique colouration on the sound. What matters is whether that colouration can bring additional sense of detail or dynamic or stage or whatever.

because mid-fi is dead."

DMS has some spicy hot takes lately 😂

May 1, 2024 at 11:21 PM Post #333 of 377

because mid-fi is dead."

Don't be saying that, people around here can get a bit sensitive to that kinda talk

May 1, 2024 at 11:27 PM Post #334 of 377
DMS has some spicy hot takes lately 😂

He makes some interesting points, though I wouldn't agree that mid-fi is dead. I do think that everything has gotten better over time, at every price point, in a rising tide lifts all boats kind of way.

Don't be saying that, people around here can get a bit sensitive to that kinda talk

🤣

May 1, 2024 at 11:35 PM Post #335 of 377
He makes some interesting points, though I wouldn't agree that mid-fi is dead. I do think that everything has gotten better over time, at every price point, in a rising tide lifts all boats kind of way.
Or trickle down audionomics if you will 😉

May 2, 2024 at 2:41 AM Post #336 of 377
For me I usually prefer warmth due to treble sensitivity. But the absolute most important factor is the vocal presentation. If there is shout or sibilance or if the timbre is off then I'm instantly taken out of my happy place. Bass is 2nd most important but honestly if I need a basshead set it's more for fun so the vocals aren't as important anyways.
It's funny how different people use different aspects of music to make a first evaluation. My first two things are electric distorted guitars (honk? Enough bite?) and cymbals (natural or peaks and dips).

May 2, 2024 at 3:44 AM Post #337 of 377
My first filter for new IEM - transparency, second - resolution, third - tonal tuning.
Then I need good dynamics and details.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 4:14 AM Post #338 of 377
AüR Audio Aure & Venture Electronics SIE

I believe I could easily stop hunting the rainbow-spitting audio dragon with these two.

1000013249.jpg

... not happening yet, though.

May 2, 2024 at 4:20 AM Post #339 of 377

I believe I could easily stop hunting the rainbow-spitting audio dragon with these two.

1000013249.jpg

Looks great!
But dragon live more deeper in rabbit hole :)

May 2, 2024 at 4:20 AM Post #340 of 377
It's funny how different people use different aspects of music to make a first evaluation. My first two things are electric distorted guitars (honk? Enough bite?) and cymbals (natural or peaks and dips).

My priority:
  1. Fit: if it is a nightmare to seal, it’s likely ⚰️
  2. Soundstage and imaging. If it’s boring, it’s ⚰️
  3. Tonal balance and comfort: if it’s piercing, it’s ⚰️
  4. Dynamic: if it sounds dead, it’s likely ⚰️
The ones that are not ⚰️ would be reviewed, where I find more reasons to make it ⚰️

The ones that are somewhat alright goes to headfi review and usually gets 3/5-ish.

The ones that are very much alive after all the nitpicking get a strong recommendation .

The ones that impress me would see me talking about them all the time on forums.

Edit: boy, it sounds elitism. It was meant to be on a lighter note 😂

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 4:36 AM Post #341 of 377
My priority:
  1. Fit: if it is a nightmare to seal, it’s likely ⚰️
  2. Soundstage and imaging. If it’s boring, it’s ⚰️
  3. Tonal balance and comfort: if it’s piercing, it’s ⚰️
  4. Dynamic: if it sounds dead, it’s likely ⚰️
The ones that are not ⚰️ would be reviewed, where I find more reasons to make it ⚰️

The ones that are somewhat alright goes to headfi review and usually gets 3/5-ish.

The ones that are very much alive after all the nitpicking get a strong recommendation .

The ones that impress me would see me talking about them all the time on forums.

Edit: boy, it sounds elitism. It was meant to be on a lighter note 😂
Aural elitism is acceptable around here :)

May 2, 2024 at 5:48 AM Post #343 of 377

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 5:50 AM Post #344 of 377
It was about time...
The middle class has been non-existent...for so long now...mid-fi hung around for quite longer :)

Cheers!
I did check up my midfi: all of my IEMs & DAPs are in their places.
:)

May 2, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #345 of 377

1000013249.jpg

Keep hunting my friend!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back