ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
May 15, 2024 at 2:53 AM Post #7,261 of 7,268
Once I have the CC on hand I plan to compare quite a bit to my DCA Stealth, along with the VC & AC and look forward to sharing impressions. Though I already prefer the VC & AC over the Stealth, I think another closed planar in the same price range will be the more fair and useful comparison. The Stealth is certainly extremely different from the CO and while I really enjoy it, it doesn't grab me emotionally in the way that all of the ZMFs do, though I'm not a big fan of Harman tuning.
I have a subtle inkling that you might depart from your Stealth soon. :)

May 15, 2024 at 5:12 AM Post #7,263 of 7,268
Just curious has anyone tried the caldera closed pads on the caldera open?
If so would love to know any impressions of them!
I asked this a few days back in the CC thread and @erics75 was kind enough to offer some impressions here

May 15, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #7,264 of 7,268
I used to slightly prefer the suede pads to the thick on the Caldera, but after listening today I can confidently say the thick pads are easily the best pad for my taste. The clarity and bass increase are sooooo nice. So damn good.
I'm with you, the thick pads are addicting. I've tried all the supplied pads and keep coming back to them.

May 15, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #7,266 of 7,268
After letting my Caldera's break in for a while with the stock pads, I gave the thick pads a try, and I think they'll be staying! They really do add just a little bit of extra oomph that pushes the Caldera from great to exceptional for me.

100% Thick pads enjoyers unite!

May 15, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #7,268 of 7,268
I've had about a week of time with the CO demo unit and what a week. The clarity, separation, and tone are amazing. I generally prefer dynamic drivers but the CO is challenging that hard. I still prefer a darker overall tuning for every day use, but the CO's air and clarity are a breath of fresh air when I'm in the mood for a change. I see the Caldera and Atrium models as an amazing complimentary set of ZMFs for those who want variety. The Atriums are darker, thicker, more euphonic and romantic sounding. The Calderas faster, clearer, and all around more of a analytical listen, while still being highly musical and engaging.

The CO in particular is making me revisit my playlists, digging deep into tracks I've known most of my life, to find hidden bits of detail here and there. I'm really enjoying it so far, and know at the end of this demo either the CC or CO will remain with me. I'll just sell one of the kiddos to fund it! :smiling_imp:

I tend to listen mostly to "fun" music (code word for crappy studio quality), with a handful of audiophile worthy test tracks. But truth be told those tracks are boring the heck out of me. Anyone got some killer tracks they can share that will show off the full capabilities of the CO? Sharing is caring!
Yup--the Caldera open was a revelation to me when I first heard it. In my experience, planars don't have as much resolution as the CO without being hyped, edgy, and bright. They also don't soundstage anything like the CO.

As good as the stock pads are, I reached a higher plane with the lambskin thicks. Those pads are on the CO for good....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back