ZMF Caldera Closed
May 15, 2024 at 7:46 AM Post #646 of 655
These headphones are continuing to blow my mind! The speed, impact, and texture are first class, and the staging is so open and layered that it's stunning. The speed helps keep everything in focus, and nothing sounds too diffused even though the staging is ridiculously grand. While listening, you can clearly tell these headphones were a labor of love, as everything top to bottom is just so right. That excellent balance top to bottom with a warm leaning tilt, is perfection for my preferences. The reverb and decay seem to go on forever, and the sound is effortless with speed and warmth combined. I love being able to feel the music, and these headphones definitely deliver that in spades. Zach has truly created something special, and I can't think of a single thing I would like to change.

I am using the stock hybrid pads, and have the CC paired up with the Aegis, and honestly I don't think you will find a better pairing.

Long live the CC's! :grin:

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #647 of 655
These headphones are continuing to blow my mind! The speed, impact, and texture are first class, and the staging is so open and layered that it's stunning. The speed helps keep everything in focus, and nothing sounds too diffused even though the staging is ridiculously grand. While listening, you can clearly tell these headphones were a labor of love, as everything top to bottom is just so right. That excellent balance top to bottom with a warm leaning tilt, is perfection for my preferences. The reverb and decay seem to go on forever, and the sound is effortless with speed and warmth combined. I love being able to feel the music, and these headphones definitely deliver that in spades. Zach has truly created something special, and I can't think of a single thing I would like to change.

I am using the stock hybrid pads, and have the CC paired up with the Aegis, and honestly I don't think you will find a better pairing.

Long live the CC's! :grin:
OK, Wes, you’re REALLY going to make my months ahead until CJ SoCal challenging, aren’t you?! 😉

Seriously though, great to hear and huge congrats to Zach, Bevin, Dave, and the whole ZMF team on another triumphant release! 🎉🌋

May 15, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #649 of 655
It will be very useful if someone could share his experience with a DAP, allowing people who may want to use it on the go.
I just got my CC delivered right now, box still not opened, letting it Cool down for a bit. However my main listening is with a DAP, the Cayin N30LE AP and with the Caldera Open (CO) it was phenomenal, staging 3D, detail and vividness, best settings in the N30LE for CO was Tube Classic, Hyper-mode, and gain Hdb, volume at about 40, on some music 36 is plenty. Hyper-mode is a special class A static current mode on the N30LE
So I expect it to drive the CC just as well.
I tested the CO also on the Cayin N8ii , N7, N6ii-RO1 and the new N3ultra, only the N3ultra showed some weakness driving the high frequency properly but the rest of the sound spectrum was exciting
Will share impressions with CC on this thread.
Truly the Calderas are phenomenal headphones

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #650 of 655
I just got my CC delivered right now, box still not opened, letting it Cool down for a bit. However my main listening is with a DAP, the Cayin N30LE AP and with the Caldera Open (CO) it was phenomenal, staging 3D, detail and vividness, best settings in the N30LE for CO was Tube Classic, Hyper-mode, and gain Mdb, volume at about 40, on some music 36 is plenty. Hyper-mode is a special class A static current mode on the N30LE
I tested the CO also on the Cayin N8ii , N7, N6ii-RO1 and the new N3ultra, only the N3ultra showed some weakness driving the high frequency properly but the rest of the sound spectrum was exciting
Very cool!

I expect to use my future CC with my Sony WM-1A at my desk (balanced/4.4 mm), and I’m sure the lower impedance planar drivers will be really dynamic with the Sony.

May 15, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #651 of 655
You seems to be a great Cayin's fan, N30LE is very expansive and unfortunately not many people could afford it, N8ii is not convenient on the go (too big), could you tell us more about the pairing with the N7 and N6ii-R01, it will be very interesting and useful to know.

May 15, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #652 of 655
You seems to be a great Cayin's fan, N30LE is very expansive and unfortunately not many people could afford it, N8ii is not convenient on the go (too big), could you tell us more about the pairing with the N7 and N6ii-R01, it will be very interesting and useful to know.
Ok I sure will
Right now first listen on N3ULTRA(much of the same circuit as the N30LE but uses a JAN tube rather than the Nutube of N30LE, and a few changes to keep the size small), since I am still at work, it's meaty, rich, wide and just lovely, more later on the N7

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 6:02 PM Post #653 of 655
I just got my CC delivered right now, box still not opened, letting it Cool down for a bit. However my main listening is with a DAP, the Cayin N30LE AP and with the Caldera Open (CO) it was phenomenal, staging 3D, detail and vividness, best settings in the N30LE for CO was Tube Classic, Hyper-mode, and gain Hdb, volume at about 40, on some music 36 is plenty. Hyper-mode is a special class A static current mode on the N30LE
Same experience with the Kann Ultra with my CO. Feel like the CO was driven fully compared to my desktop SS.

May 15, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #655 of 655
The stage with the Kann Ultra was not narrow with CO ? I tested it the DCA E3 and did not sound well at all.
Not at all. Stages better on my HA-6A, but I didn’t feel I was missing anything with the Ultra compared to my Jotunheim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back