Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
May 8, 2024 at 11:51 PM Post #7,307 of 7,320
Easily the best UM IEM I've owned!
1000142285.jpg

May 9, 2024 at 12:40 AM Post #7,309 of 7,320
May 12, 2024 at 4:01 AM Post #7,311 of 7,320
I'm sitting here at 32000 ft enjoying some inflight wifi and my new Mentors. The fit to my ear is excellent and isolation is very good using Crystal tips. Yesterday I listened via my LP6K which is a decidedly slightly warm but fairly neutral source and I came to the conclusion the the stock cable was nice but the mentors could use the added bass lift afforded by the Code 24. I'm travelling with the Shanling M6 21 PRO (I love this dap) which has the warmth of the Shanling House Sound in Spades, and the stock Deep of Universe cable, with this source, this cable is superb, even up in the air where noise could obfuscate the low end. Lots of bass bite, delicious mids and tons of sparkle. I've already had a couple of offers to buy the OEM cable and I've been contemplating it, but with a warmer source and even with the Lotoo, this cable with this IEM is growing on me.
Let’s get it straight Sir, it looks like Mentor blows away Mest MK 2 which just one slam, right? :)

May 12, 2024 at 4:27 AM Post #7,314 of 7,320
But in terms of detail, speed, clarity and soundstage?
Idk, I might be the wrong person to ask. I found Mentor to be quite capable, but ultimately very boring. I only tried out and owned the MEST Indigo a.k.a MEST MKIII and it still is one of the best sounding IEMs I have heard. Totally subjective topic though.

May 12, 2024 at 6:08 AM Post #7,315 of 7,320
Idk, I might be the wrong person to ask. I found Mentor to be quite capable, but ultimately very boring. I only tried out and owned the MEST Indigo a.k.a MEST MKIII and it still is one of the best sounding IEMs I have heard. Totally subjective topic though.
Yep, ineeed, true dat but the difference in price must be also determinanted by something

May 12, 2024 at 6:19 AM Post #7,317 of 7,320
Does it? 😅 UM has some ridiculous pricing my man.
Idk, got Mest mk2 brand New for the second Time lol from Musictech and they are Awesome as always but I’m feeling like I will miss something if I don’t get Mentors, like an Endgame thing, Mest is already considered as a ToTl set but…

May 12, 2024 at 6:26 AM Post #7,318 of 7,320
Idk, got Mest mk2 brand New for the second Time lol from Musictech and they are Awesome as always but I’m feeling like I will miss something if I don’t get Mentors, like an Endgame thing, Mest is already considered as a ToTl set but…
Again, they sound totally different. I would take MEST any day over Mentor. UM works with FOMO.

May 12, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #7,319 of 7,320
But in terms of detail, speed, clarity and soundstage?
You'd only miss something if Mentor happens to coincide with your preference. Mentor is an endgame level IEM but if you're preferred genre is something it doesn't specialize (the most) at, then you would be missing something if you got the Mentor. You will miss something if you don't get the IEM that works best with your genres.

Mentor brings musical immersion via bass and lower mids to anything with bass and synth sounds. The more layering in the song, the more immersive with Mentor. Mentor doesn't bring the golden warmth for orchestral, nor does it bring the super airy vocals for acoustic, but it makes modern tracks much more enjoyable. Different IEMs for different genres (although Mentor is a capable allrounder). Mentor is not sub-bass emphasized, and bass is known as elastic and textured. For genres that want slow decay or bloomy bass, you would desire better bass from DD or planar, but if not, you would think Mentor has perfect bass. This is why in some circles Mentor's bass is rated 10/10 for elastic bass, while in others it's rated 6 or 7 for bass. Note that DD bass can also lose DD stereotyped characteristics if tuned similarly.

Difference between Mentor and some other mid-bass emphasis IEMs is Mentor does not have the congestion weakness nor do male vocals take a hit. The typical congestion can sound immersive at the severe cost of technicals, but Mentor takes that immersion but without the congested feeling. If listening to acoustic songs, Mest "might" be better depending on preference (but Mest sounds cold in comparison so it's more genre specific - I'd go with another IEM though). mest indigo atm reigns #1 for presenting (the most) ethereal, clean high female vocals but it's less immersive for other genres (if you can find a warmer/thicker DAP that can synergize well with mest, then problem could be solved/mitigated). Mid-bass is much more controlled and textured on Mentor, and with good fit, actually I don't miss sub-bass on Mentor.

Note since Mentor is all BA, eartips, fit and positioning are crucial for sound. Even with the the same eartips, the thickness of notes is dramatically different depending on how I put on the Mentor. If I just push in and twist up, the sound can get too thick for some tracks while great for other tracks. If push in, twist up, pinch ear lobe and lift/tilt nozzle upward, then the sound becomes much more balanced. This is a cons compared to DD which is much less picky about fit, angle and positioning.

On eartips, changing eartips can lose the thickness and warmth, (for example, making Mentor sound technical but bland). Tried almost all popular eartips and chi-fi ones too. Even eletech baroque (best comfort) makes treble too aggressive and loses warmth for me. Correir Brass loses bass, etc. I had to go back to stock blue stem eartips (luckily 2nd most comfortable for me).

For me, Mentor is all-rounder but not "the best" at every genre. After hearing it, I would consider I missed out on something if I didn't, but it's not the only IEM this applies to. A pros is that Mentor does everything well with minimal coloration except for that mid-bass and lower-mids immersion that it slips in every track, so I can basically listen to all my songs on shuffle.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 12:19 AM Post #7,320 of 7,320
You'd only miss something if Mentor happens to coincide with your preference. Mentor is an endgame level IEM but if you're preferred genre is something it doesn't specialize (the most) at, then you would be missing something if you got the Mentor. You will miss something if you don't get the IEM that works best with your genres.

Mentor brings musical immersion via bass and lower mids to anything with bass and synth sounds. The more layering in the song, the more immersive with Mentor. Mentor doesn't bring the golden warmth for orchestral, nor does it bring the super airy vocals for acoustic, but it makes modern tracks much more enjoyable. Different IEMs for different genres (although Mentor is a capable allrounder). Mentor is not sub-bass emphasized, and bass is known as elastic and textured. For genres that want slow decay or bloomy bass, you would desire better bass from DD or planar, but if not, you would think Mentor has perfect bass. This is why in some circles Mentor's bass is rated 10/10 for elastic bass, while in others it's rated 6 or 7 for bass. Note that DD bass can also lose DD stereotyped characteristics if tuned similarly.

Difference between Mentor and some other mid-bass emphasis IEMs is Mentor does not have the congestion weakness nor do male vocals take a hit. The typical congestion can sound immersive at the severe cost of technicals, but Mentor takes that immersion but without the congested feeling. If listening to acoustic songs, Mest "might" be better depending on preference (but Mest sounds cold in comparison so it's more genre specific - I'd go with another IEM though). mest indigo atm reigns #1 for presenting (the most) ethereal, clean high female vocals but it's less immersive for other genres (if you can find a warmer/thicker DAP that can synergize well with mest, then problem could be solved/mitigated). Mid-bass is much more controlled and textured on Mentor, and with good fit, actually I don't miss sub-bass on Mentor.

Note since Mentor is all BA, eartips, fit and positioning are crucial for sound. Even with the the same eartips, the thickness of notes is dramatically different depending on how I put on the Mentor. If I just push in and twist up, the sound can get too thick for some tracks while great for other tracks. If push in, twist up, pinch ear lobe and lift/tilt nozzle upward, then the sound becomes much more balanced. This is a cons compared to DD which is much less picky about fit, angle and positioning.

On eartips, changing eartips can lose the thickness and warmth, (for example, making Mentor sound technical but bland). Tried almost all popular eartips and chi-fi ones too. Even eletech baroque (best comfort) makes treble too aggressive and loses warmth for me. Correir Brass loses bass, etc. I had to go back to stock blue stem eartips (luckily 2nd most comfortable for me).

For me, Mentor is all-rounder but not "the best" at every genre. After hearing it, I would consider I missed out on something if I didn't, but it's not the only IEM this applies to. A pros is that Mentor does everything well with minimal coloration except for that mid-bass and lower-mids immersion that it slips in every track, so I can basically listen to all my songs on shuffle.
Woah, now I’m going to definietly buy it More than ever, Mest mk 2 is crazy Good but Mentor is in another league…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back