Trafomatic Head 2
May 8, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #301 of 306
Some more time with the Head 2 SE
Definite improvement (or my perception getting adjusted, i dont know - whatever)

I tried Hd800S with the 300ohm setting, fantastic control, and impactful bass. (really!)
One strength I found is the placement of instruments, like they appear from unexpected points of the perceived stage and surprised me a couple of times.
It is also powerful, easily driving the d8000 pro and hs800s within their corresponding impedance settings. I haven't had need to pass 10 o clock so far.

I am still missing the tube magic, that euphoria that I can get from DNA Starlett, but I have started to enjoy it a lot.

PS: It is still early days. And I am no expert.

May 9, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #303 of 306
The SE has different ECC88 tubes i believe, im not sure atm which they but i read somewhere that were Mullards and if thats the case they're good tubes.
If i have some spare time this weekend i'll open it and take a peek.

Some more time with the Head 2 SE
Definite improvement (or my perception getting adjusted, i dont know - whatever)

I tried Hd800S with the 300ohm setting, fantastic control, and impactful bass. (really!)
One strength I found is the placement of instruments, like they appear from unexpected points of the perceived stage and surprised me a couple of times.
It is also powerful, easily driving the d8000 pro and hs800s within their corresponding impedance settings. I haven't had need to pass 10 o clock so far.

I am still missing the tube magic, that euphoria that I can get from DNA Starlett, but I have started to enjoy it a lot.

PS: It is still early days. And I am no expert.
Are you using the stock power chord? If so throw it out and use a good quality one, that made significant impact on mine

May 9, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #304 of 306
thanks for the comments, too early to tube roll, but at some point I will take a peek myself as I believe I do have a matched pair of 6922s somewhere.

May 14, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #305 of 306
Just received the HEAD 2 SE. It is massive.

I will be honest, first impressions are not stellar with Holo May & d8000 pro le, but is still too early.

I believe this deserves an update, I am around hour 50. I have made some tube changes, the included output tubes in the SE version are Mullard ECC88 and is the best of the lot compared to what I could find at home. (EH and some Russian ones)

For most I have been listening to it with a D8000ProLE, also spent some time with HD800S.
Power is of no issue whatsoever.

Sound as I can describe it is not overly warm for a tube amp, leans more towards a neutral sound, but still possesses that touch of smoothness with no sibilance or roughness at the top. (my reference points are Phonitor XE for SS, and Donald North Starlett for tube)

Soundstage is fantastic.
Control of bass is fantastic.

All in all I think it is a brilliant amp and I am over the moon with the purchase as my impressions are improving day by day.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back