The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
May 12, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #3,661 of 3,675
Exactly, very wise point.

Most of the time now (as I noted in a post yesterday) I really wouldn’t change a thing in my current setup, and will simply add a Caldera Closed with a Norne Audio cable in a few months.

To make room for that, I’ll reluctantly sell my Bocote Eikon and its matching stand… the poor thing isn’t getting much listening time these days as the Atrium Closed scratches the sub-bass itch when it hits.
You may want to take a hard look at your amp if you get the Caldera. The Caldera has a 60 ohm impedance and may sound a little compressed with the OTL WA2. Having never owned the WA2, I don’t know how well it powers moderate impedance headphones, but in this case, I recommend trying before buying. The Caldera is fairly efficient and I would have no qualms with most transformer coupled tube or SS amps, but OTLs are definitely case by case.

May 12, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #3,662 of 3,675
I assume you’re referring to the current Bifrost 2/64. It’s a top notch DAC. Some people like the 2 a little better compared to the 2/64, but both are excellent.

I have a 2 and a Yggy LIM- the LIM is a little less thick sounding and is more detailed / clear than the BF2. Comparing the Bifrost 2 to my older DACs (Schiit Modi+ and Topping D50) both the 2 and the LIM are thicker, more natural and more lively in their presentation.

Hope that helps, and I should add that while the differences are audible, they’re small. You’ll hear a much bigger difference between a tube amp and SS amp or between headphones. I wouldn’t worry too much about the DAC until you’ve settled on an amp and gotten to know it so you can select a DAC that pairs well with it.

Yeah, I ended up opting for the Bifrost 2/64 with the HA-3A, since the Yggy is a bit out of my price range as of now. Looking forward to hearing it.

May 12, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #3,663 of 3,675
You may want to take a hard look at your amp if you get the Caldera. The Caldera has a 60 ohm impedance and may sound a little compressed with the OTL WA2.
100 percent, thank you!

My intent is to use my Ray Samuels Audio The Apache as the main amp for the Caldera Closed. It should be fantastic with the planar.

(If the WA2 works OK with the CC, great, but I am skeptical like you. 😊)

May 13, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #3,664 of 3,675
A (periodic) friendly reminder of
IMG_8044.jpeg
how great Beyerdynamic A20 (100-ohm output impedance) is with ZMF dynamic-driver headphones (shown: Eikon [Camphor]).

May 13, 2024 at 9:39 PM Post #3,666 of 3,675
May 13, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #3,667 of 3,675
The HA-3A & Bifrost finally arrived! Listening to it on my Calderas, and I honestly can't tell if I'm tearing up because of the hole in my wallet, or at how amazing it sounds.

I've never been great at describing sound but generally speaking, the soundstage and separation feels like it just expanded tenfold. At the same time, it also just feels so much more intimate (?) I really don't know how to put it in words apart from that it's fascinating.

May 14, 2024 at 3:27 AM Post #3,668 of 3,675
... what was the accompanying gear?
Merason Frerot DAC with either Auteur or AC.

I wonder if this amp might pair better with Bifrost 2. That’s my next experiment.

Listening now, my impression is this doesn’t have the resolution or cleanliness of my Archel 3, and I can approximate the tonality of it with the Archel’s tone controls. This was using Atrium Closed.

Further listening…yeah, I think the “darker” BF2 might really help here. Could just be a lack of synergy.

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 6:52 AM Post #3,669 of 3,675
Further listening…yeah, I think the “darker” BF2 might really help here. Could just be a lack of synergy.
If there is one thing I’ve learned on my audio journey, it’s that synergy is the key to getting from good (or even very good) to great sound.

And once you have it and have ANY luck being content and happy with what you have- “musical nirvana” lies (for me) with shifting focus: Simply letting go of the way your gear facilitates the presentation of the performance to being swept away by the emotions of the music.

If your gear (and mental state, so to speak) allows you to do that, and you permit yourself to, congratulations. 😉 You not only saved time, money, and effort, but gained a lot of fun as well.

Then again, some of us love the journey itself. So you may read the above and shake your head and chuckle. And that’s cool too! If we all experienced this obsession hobby the same way, Head-Fi would be a boring community.

May 14, 2024 at 10:22 PM Post #3,671 of 3,675
Wise words from a wise duck (holding a bunny in his avatar)
I emerged from the Head-Fi rabbit hole with the bunny intact and have the AI art to prove it… 😉

May 14, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #3,672 of 3,675
I emerged from the Head-Fi rabbit hole with the bunny intact and have the AI art to prove it… 😉
.... 👎 you're supposed to emerge with a NIB / NOS quad of GEC 6AS7G .... 🤷🏻‍♂️😲

May 14, 2024 at 11:58 PM Post #3,673 of 3,675
.... 👎 you're supposed to emerge with a NIB / NOS quad of GEC 6AS7G .... 🤷🏻‍♂️😲
I made the bunny eat them for safekeeping during our tunneling escape. 😁

No, just kidding. I only made him eat two pairs of Tung-Sol 5998s… and the tubes emerged unscathed!

…and then I discovered that he had a pair of Telefunken G-73Rs hidden away in his cheeks! Imagine my joy…

IMG_3125.jpeg

May 15, 2024 at 12:15 AM Post #3,674 of 3,675
I made the bunny eat them for safekeeping during our tunneling escape. 😁

No, just kidding. I only made him eat two pairs of Tung-Sol 5998s… and the tubes emerged unscathed!

…and then I discovered that he had a pair of Telefunken G-73Rs hidden away in his cheeks! Imagine my joy…

IMG_3125.jpeg
AudioBunny or AudioDuck?
Are you having an identity crisis?
IMG_9353.jpeg

May 15, 2024 at 12:56 AM Post #3,675 of 3,675
AudioBunny or AudioDuck?
Are you having an identity crisis?
IMG_9353.jpeg
Fortunately not… the Duck part comes from my Alma Mater, the Oregon Ducks. I bleed green out of one arm and yellow out the other.
💚😊💛

IMG_3570.jpeg
IMG_3571.jpeg
IMG_3572.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back