The ultimate headphone amp? A monster SET.
Dec 2, 2018 at 10:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

astrostar59

Banned
Member of the Trade: Aries Cerat Espana, Auriculares High-End
AKA Headstage, headphoneweekend
I have ordered this Aries Cerat SET integrated amplifier called the Genus for my speaker system, and currently run the Violectric V281 headphone amp to my LCD4s. BUT the Genus also has a true headphone output from the output stage with both high and low impedance setting.

The best sound on any headphone I have heard to date is from the Malvalve headphone amplifier, which was a 22 tube monster with both normal and electrostatic output. On the 009s and the LCD4s that amp was a revelation, smoothness and timbre to die for, with incredible bass power and dynamics. The midrange was heavenly. But the Malvalve is insanely complex, too many tubes and gave out as much heat as a space heater. It was also 14K euros.

Well, I can confirm right here, the Aries Cerat is a match to the Malvalve. But it is much simpler with 2 gains stages with the Seimens E280F and the big bottle RCA 813 power tubes. The amplifier arrives in around 4 weeks, and I will put up a dedicated headphone review on it using the LCD4s.

If anyone is in Spain and wants to hear it, PM me, you are most welcome.

For now here's some photos of it:

Aries_Cerat_Genus_11.jpg
Aries_Cerat_Genus_15.jpg
Aries_Cerat_Genus_14.jpg
Aries_Cerat_Genus_13.jpg
Aries_Cerat_Genus_10.jpg
Aries_Cerat_Genus_12.jpg
Aries_Cerat_Genus_08.jpg
Aries_Cerat_Genus_07.jpg
Aries_Cerat_Genus_06.jpg
Aries_Cerat_Genus_09.jpg
Aries_Cerat_Genus_03.jpg
Aries_Cerat_Genus_05.jpg
Aries_Cerat_Genus_04.jpg
Aries_Cerat_Genus_02.jpg

Attachments

• Aries_Cerat_Genus_01.jpg
    Aries_Cerat_Genus_01.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 4
This amp looks a little bit more expensive than the V281.

It is 15K euros. So about the same as the Malvalve but is a much better designed amplifier than that amp. The sound is heavenly. The Genus is a true 25 watt class A SET with serious power and drive, unlike many SET amps I have heard. The headphone output is a nice feature. So IMO it is a great amp for someone who also uses good quality speakers as well.

May 1, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #4 of 4
Anyone one head fi even running a genus with their headphones ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back