The PENON official thread
May 12, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #13,801 of 13,806
image.png
anyone compared the Quattro and the Twilight? This graph is telling me I should consider the Quattro again..

I have both and use them daily and they are very different. Quattro is subbass leaning while Twilight leans towards the midbass. Technicalities are way better on the Twilight, with a bigger sound stage and better layering. Mids are more forward on the Twilight and are generally clean. Quattro mids come across recessed and slightly coloured by the bass. The treble is much more complete on the Twilight. Quattro treble is under-emphasised in some areas giving the impression that the high notes are missing some parts to them.

Both share the quality of having very natural timbre. However, tuning wise they are very different and the Twilight is a much better all-rounder. Quattro is warm and smooth and you can turn up the volume to get a deep sound stage (deep not wide) and a very euphonic sound with some of the best subbass rumble i’ve heard.

May 12, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #13,802 of 13,806
I have both and use them daily and they are very different. Quattro is subbass leaning while Twilight leans towards the midbass. Technicalities are way better on the Twilight, with a bigger sound stage and better layering. Mids are more forward on the Twilight and are generally clean. Quattro mids come across recessed and slightly coloured by the bass. The treble is much more complete on the Twilight. Quattro treble is under-emphasised in some areas giving the impression that the high notes are missing some parts to them.

Both share the quality of having very natural timbre. However, tuning wise they are very different and the Twilight is a much better all-rounder. Quattro is warm and smooth and you can turn up the volume to get a deep sound stage (deep not wide) and a very euphonic sound with some of the best subbass rumble i’ve heard.
Got to try the Twilights...

May 12, 2024 at 10:04 PM Post #13,804 of 13,806

Very much appreciate your thoughts; the Twilight sounds like more my jam, would like to demo them both one day though.

May 13, 2024 at 1:30 AM Post #13,805 of 13,806
The Penon Turbo is a 6 BA set (2 vented Sonion BAs for bass, 2 Knowles BA for mids and 2 Sonions for treble).

Turbo 1.jpg

It has 3 tuning switches coupled with a bass boost switch. The Turbo can be tuned from U-shaped to V-shaped to even a basshead L-shaped tonality, so versatility is a feather in its cap.

Turbo 2.jpg

Graphs below. The first number 1/0 refers to the bass boost switch toggled on or off, respectively. The other 3 digits refer to the switch settings 1/2/3 on the Turbo. All switches off is an invalid tuning according to Penon's website.

Penon Turbo.jpg

For a pure BA setup, the vented subwoofers help to let it move air and decay much more than a traditional BA bass. The bass hits hard with a thump on the bassier settings, though bass texturing is average (it is speedy thankfully).

Like most multi-BA setups, the Turbo fares very well for technicalities, with an expansive soundstage and accurate imaging, with good micro-details sprinkled in, especially on the brighter settings. Definitely competitive in the midFI bracket when it comes to technical chops.

There's some BA timbre in the upper frequencies, but treble and upper mids are generally smooth and non-fatiguing.
Additionally, the Turbo is well fitting and easily driven. With passive isolation that hits 26 dB, this will also be a suitable IEM for stage monitoring or even for use in noisy environments.

Promising IEM, will do further testing with the various switch configurations and report back with comparisons against other pure BA sets in the midFI range.

May 13, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #13,806 of 13,806
IMG_5578.jpeg

Here we go! Gave them a quick whirl out of the box then tossed them on the burner for a couple hours while I finished some work. Now coming back to them for a bit. As some of you know, Volt was what brought me to Penon (it’s still my user pic) and I can see why Voltage is its successor.

It’s classic midcentric Penon musicality with a phat slab of bass - bolder, deeper, already grippier and more detailed - and what’s quite clear to me that its technicals are already playing on a different level. There’s a real sense of spatiality here, clear imaging, layering and positional cues, as well as better texture and detail.

As with all the Penons I have known - quite a few by now - they will require a long burn in, not only the DDs but even more so the ESTs, and I can’t wait to see where these go. Superb job, @Penon. Those of you who have yours on the way, you’re in for a treat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back