The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
May 13, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #22,472 of 22,482
The CRBN was my least favorite estat when I had some. The upped the bass, but the resolution was a bit veiled for an estat. It wasn’t bad though, just not up to X9K standards, which also has great bass for an estat and great resolution.

To be fair the X9000 is 50% more expensive then the CRBN, and the CRBN is very amp dependent, someone in their review of the CRBN said they couldn't stand the "tiny soundstage"

........I don't know what amp/DAC they were using on their CRBN but the soundstage on it rivals any other dynamic/planar with a good soundstage I have heard besides the HD800 which is the king.

May 13, 2024 at 10:06 AM Post #22,473 of 22,482
To be fair the X9000 is 50% more expensive then the CRBN, and the CRBN is very amp dependent, someone in their review of the CRBN said they couldn't stand the "tiny soundstage"

........I don't know what amp/DAC they were using on their CRBN but the soundstage on it rivals any other dynamic/planar with a good soundstage I have heard besides the HD800 which is the king.
I had it off a 3ES Elite with Tak tubes. It was good, just not great. The resolution was an issue. It felt veiled for an estat. It was basically a 007mk1 but not as good. But if you like planars and want a planar sounding estat it would be a good choice. It’s just regular planars are better and regular estats are better. It’s a no win solution for Audeze. Great first attempt though

May 13, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #22,474 of 22,482

I would agree that CRBN’s soundstage on my setup is huge and spacious. The overall sound is highly resolving as well (do note that I’m using Bob Katz’ EQ which improves the tonality). What I love most about the CRBN is female vocals, they sound very very lifelike.

May 13, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #22,475 of 22,482
The LCD4 headphones will always be classics.
The LCD-4 is definitely a classic. It was very amazing. I wish I never sold mine

May 13, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #22,477 of 22,482
The LCD-4 is definitely a classic. It was very amazing. I wish I never sold mine
I try to not look back towards headphones i really liked and sold nevertheless. LCD-4, AH-D9200, Verite Open, all very great cans but in the end there was something better, i made the promise to myself to never buy something a second time that i already had. I trust myself that there was a big enough reason for me to have sold it.
I try to look forward, not back.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #22,478 of 22,482
I try to not look back towards headphones i really liked and sold nevertheless. LCD-4, AH-D9200, Verite Open, all very great cans but in the end there was something better, i made the promise to myself to never buy something a second time that i already had. I trust myself that there was a big enough reason for me to have sold it.
I try to look forward, not back.
Only once have I rebought headphones. And within half an hour I remembered why I sold them the last time. Not a mistake I'll make again.

May 14, 2024 at 1:56 AM Post #22,479 of 22,482
Only once have I rebought headphones. And within half an hour I remembered why I sold them the last time. Not a mistake I'll make again.
I bought Utopia twice and I won't make the mistake of selling it again 😅

May 14, 2024 at 2:19 AM Post #22,480 of 22,482
I always wanted to try the LCD4 but I couldn't get past the glued on pads and wooden build. Wooden LCD3 I once owned started cracking and disintegrating around hinges. Plus the weight, occasional driver failures and mixed record for customer service and I was always going for a different set ...

4z would've solved the wood issue but apparently it doesn't have the same magic 😑

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 2:25 AM Post #22,482 of 22,482
I always wanted to try the LCD4 but I couldn't get past the glued on pads and wooden build. Wooden LCD3 I once owned started cracking and disintegrating around hinges. Plus the weight, occasional driver failures and mixed record for customer service and I was always going for a different set ...

4z would've solved the wood issue but apparently it doesn't have the same magic 😑
I feel more comfortable when wearing tc than lcd 4. Lcd 4 is the heaviest hp ive tried , sound is too dark and low res compared with those hp like utopia, sus and tc which let me tried only couple hour and i returned by the next day.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back