The Ethernet cables, Switches and Network related sound thread. Share your listening experience only.
May 12, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #2,191 of 2,196
@tholt

All switches offer galvanic isolation between the input and output sides of course. It’s a question of degree, and there is more going on in a good switch like the EtherRegen than galvanic isolation (and I don’t mean clocking).

The “extender” I bought was a powerline network extender not wifi extender
[/USER]
Switches don't have a designated input and output, all the ports are interchangeable. All switches have transformers, but they do not completely isolate in the way the EtherRegen does. I don't know of any other switch that completely isolates inputs from outputs like the ER.

"The transformers in Ethernet ports are galvanic isolators—they block DC—they also block low-source-impedance AC leakage. However, high-source-impedance leakage sails right through them."
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...enson_EtherREGEN_white_paper.pdf?v=1583429386

I will never have a powerline extender in my home, because it injects a high frequency signal into the electrical system, which must then be dealt with by every audio component connected to the electrical system.

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #2,192 of 2,196
Switches don't have a designated input and output, all the ports are interchangeable. All switches have transformers, but they do not completely isolate in the way the EtherRegen does. I don't know of any other switch that completely isolates inputs from outputs like the ER.

"The transformers in Ethernet ports are galvanic isolators—they block DC—they also block low-source-impedance AC leakage. However, high-source-impedance leakage sails right through them."
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...enson_EtherREGEN_white_paper.pdf?v=1583429386

I will never have a powerline extender in my home, because it injects a high frequency signal into the electrical system, which must then be dealt with by every audio component connected to the electrical system.
I understand the principles and why the ER has such a loyal following; I was pointing out (1) that galvanic isolation is not just an ER thing and also (2) that total galvanic isolation may not be enough. For example, if a case has holes in it for cooling then RFI can enter the case and if a switch has LEDs then it will be generating additional RFI of its own. I wasn’t previously talking about just the ER and I’m not now, I’m merely pointing out some principles folk might like to consider beyond galvanic isolation when choosing a switch.

There are several aspects of that paper which are arguable but that’s not for here.

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 7:29 PM Post #2,193 of 2,196
Apologies, my bad. The “extender” I found was a powerline network extender not wifi extender - it’s in my man-cave apartment not my main home. I use a first switch 0.5m after this extender, then a stupidly long 20m of Cat6 (soon Cat8) and then into second switch with linear PSU just before streamer. Sounds fabulous but I get that this will vary a lot from home to home.
Yes, my extender is a wifi extender (with 4 ethernet ports). It's the unfortunate reality and I'm hoping I can maximize SQ as much as possible despite that being my case. I do have LPSUs on both the main modem/router and the extender and I've turned off wifi broadcasting from the extender. I've got the extender accepting both 2.4g and 5g wireless bands from the main router.

I just purchased an Ether Regen and will connect as recommended to start:
  • Wifi extender > ~3m ethernet cable > ER > 0.5m ethernet cable > server/streamer
Depending on how that goes, I can experiment with inserting the SOtM isolator somewhere within that chain

May 13, 2024 at 6:44 AM Post #2,194 of 2,196
Yes, my extender is a wifi extender (with 4 ethernet ports). It's the unfortunate reality and I'm hoping I can maximize SQ as much as possible despite that being my case. I do have LPSUs on both the main modem/router and the extender and I've turned off wifi broadcasting from the extender. I've got the extender accepting both 2.4g and 5g wireless bands from the main router.

• Wifi extender > ~3m ethernet cable > ER > 0.5m ethernet cable > server/streamer
Depending on how that goes, I can experiment with inserting the SOtM isolator somewhere within that chain
I like the probability of improved SQ by limiting the extender to receive only. Makes sense.
I know it will have a cheapish SMPS.
But isolators before and after may improve things.

Will try putting a re-clocked switch between my modem and wifi router.
See what that does.

And have bought a couple of DXE ISO+.
Will try these, as well as my Stack Audio SmoothLan, Pink Faun, and Acoustic Revive RLI-1GB-Triple-C LAn Isolators.
Have enough to put at router end and system end.

Someone mentioned the possibility of a second wifi router to replace the extender.
Would mean an extra ethernet cable, and linear power supply. But could see that possibly a step up.

I'm looking at getting an EtherRegen Gen2 when it's released.
May try optical to it, to see if there is an improvement.
Will have to talk nicely to my friend down the road to see if I can borrow his Teradak T-212.

May 13, 2024 at 6:52 AM Post #2,195 of 2,196

Sounds like a great plan.

You might find it enlightening to first install the same switch where you originally intended = just after the extender and have a listen. Then move it to the above position just before the server/streamer; ost folk doing this will experience a clearly audible improvement in sound quality. Digitally, the circuit is identical of course... and wherever it is it will clean up any noise from the extender, but in the pre-server/streamer position it will also clean up any additional noise picked up by the 3m cable.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #2,196 of 2,196
Sounds like a great plan.

You might find it enlightening to first install the same switch where you originally intended = just after the extender and have a listen. Then move it to the above position just before the server/streamer; ost folk doing this will experience a clearly audible improvement in sound quality. Digitally, the circuit is identical of course... and wherever it is it will clean up any noise from the extender, but in the pre-server/streamer position it will also clean up any additional noise picked up by the 3m cable.

Enjoy.
Will be easy enough to change positions along the chain with the switch. It would actually be easier to have the switch closer to the extender vs the streamer because the linear power supply is located closer to the extender. But I suspect you're right and that the switch makes sense closest to the streamer, in which case I'll use a long DC cable to connect it to the power supply.

I sincerely appreciate @TheFlash , @audiobomber and @greenblured comments thus far! They've been really helpful. I'm excited to put these next pieces in place and hopefully hear audible results 🤞🏼.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back