THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
May 14, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #3,256 of 3,264
Just received my Composer. Yes it is as good as I had it in my mind from listening twice. Right out from the Fiio M17 it sounds like a Stx 009 with more bass and warmth. Resolution, separation and placement of instruments is about the same level from memory. Next weekend I can make a direct comparison on my Paltauf-System.
Because of it's perfect balance it is so easy to listen to music without getting tired. All the other dynamic and magnetostic headphones I have with me, look pretty old now. They do nice thing here and there, but something is always missing.
At the moment I don't see any reason for EQ.
My head is just big enough for the headband. Shouldn't be smaller. This could be a problem for smaller people.
Bhave to go to listen ....
20240514_170619.jpg

May 14, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #3,257 of 3,264
I was at High End Munich on Saturday and had a very pleasant chat with Paul Weinreich, the engineer behind the Full Score One.

I won't bore you with any more headphone impressions, but have you heard the bass yet?

_DSC1575 copy.jpg_DSC1577 copy.jpg

Ok, I actually want to talk about the Full Score One, and more specifically the True Transient Technology.
Paul did his very best to explain to me the science behind this function and it's purpose.
More critically, he also provided me some abstract hints as to what to listen out for (without actually giving the game away) when making comparisons while mashing the switch on and off.
With some idea of what he might be talking about I could actually VERY quickly hear precisely what changes were taking place.

Skipping to the juicy bit - the TTT button DOES work.
It has a very subtle yet noticeable effect that can most easily be discerned when paying attention to percussive reverb.

TLDR
- turning the button ON gives you the fully-detailed, insightful and FASTER sound.
- turning the button OFF gives the listener a break. Literally. It SLOWS DOWN the speed of the amplifier giving a softer presentation that let's you relax and not get force-fed all the details all the time. (this is the dumbed-down version of what is actually going on in the amp).
It's such a small difference, but one that I think can make a huge difference, especially with the Composer, which has a highly detailed and punchy sound.

Paul shared his paper on the Full Score One, it can be found here in the Downloads section, if anyone's interested in reading it:
https://de.austrian.audio/kopfhoerer/fullscoreone/

The most interesting anecdote from our conversation was that if you simply plugged the amplifier into an oscilloscope while playing a sine wave, turning the TTT on and off should instantly inform you of the speed change taking place in the transients.
I don't fully understand all the science and tech behind this, or how one could draw those conclusions, but it's interesting nobody has performed such an irrefutable test yet.

Hopefully one day a 3rd party with the right equipment and expertise can perform these tests, not only to give further insight about what this technology is doing, but how it changes the sound and why it's an important aspect of amplifier design.
The question is about the price. You can get a Jotunheim, power for nearly any headphone, similiar topology (discrete, class AB) and really excellent sound. Designed by some of the best people in the industry. It costs about a third the price. Plus option to have a built-in multibit dac or phonostage. Of course the case work isn't as good. Anyway, so far I am finding the Composer sounds better on slightly warmer amps, especially tooobs. But generally speaking the composer is so transparent that any change in the chain is noticable. So of course there is a button on the full score one and on the composer you can hear the difference when you press it.

I could totally change my tune about the Full Score One if I heard one. So take this with a grain of salt. I am only sceptical about the price.

May 14, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #3,258 of 3,264
Just received my Composer. Yes it is as good as I had it in my mind from listening twice. Right out from the Fiio M17 it sounds like a Stx 009 with more bass and warmth. Resolution, separation and placement of instruments is about the same level from memory. Next weekend I can make a direct comparison on my Paltauf-System.
Because of it's perfect balance it is so easy to listen to music without getting tired. All the other dynamic and magnetostic headphones I have with me, look pretty old now. They do nice thing here and there, but something is always missing.
At the moment I don't see any reason for EQ.
My head is just big enough for the headband. Shouldn't be smaller. This could be a problem for smaller people.
Bhave to go to listen ....
20240514_170619.jpg
Congratulations!

May 14, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #3,259 of 3,264
I was at High End Munich on Saturday and had a very pleasant chat with Paul Weinreich, the engineer behind the Full Score One.

I won't bore you with any more headphone impressions, but have you heard the bass yet?

Full Score one is a very good headphone amp!
This is an ‘inaudible amplifier’ - which means very, very close to the ideal of ‘a pice wire with gain’.

I've been listening with this for a while now, even with different headphones.

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #3,260 of 3,264
Full Score one is a very good headphone amp!
This is an ‘inaudible amplifier’ - which means very, very close to the ideal of ‘a pice wire with gain’.
The question is whether or not the price in today's market is justified. Having heard the Jotunheim 2, I can say that it is also an excellent amplifier. Plus schiit are much more transparent about the amplifier specifications... It's a very competitive market.

May 14, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #3,261 of 3,264
The question is about the price. You can get a Jotunheim, power for nearly any headphone, similiar topology (discrete, class AB)
Jotunheim full discrete with comparable complex circuit + DC protection circuit + complex power supply unit?

More about ->>

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #3,263 of 3,264
Jotunheim full discrete with comparable complex circuit + DC protection circuit + complex power supply unit?

More about ->>

You can read about the Jot on the schiit website. Fully Balanced, discrete, preamp functionality, modular upgardes, a bunch of trickle down tech from schiit's higher end stuff. And lots of marketing buzz words like the one's you used. It doesn't matter. You already bought the score one, and love it. So enjoy the tunes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back