THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Jun 8, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #3,391 of 3,397
Some OT ahead...

Yes, getting used to a headphone definitely is possible. The farther off the current experience a headphone is, the longer this will take.
I'm currently facing a similar problem: I try to decide between 3 Schiit amps (namely the Asgard 3, the Valhalla 2 and the Lyr+) mainly for my Grados. Can't try them out anywhere, and don't want to order all three to send two back. There's not so much money on the line as with a Composer or the Raal, and I think I'll just go with the Asgard, which looks like the most versatile option while minimizing risk buying blind.

Another story that comes down to the same pattern: I bought my GS3000x a while ago, had some initial problems (2 times defective drivers, first one even with cuts on the wood, so one exchange and one repair) and did not really like them. My local shop would take them back, which I gladly accepted. I tried them again and again over the following weeks (they had integrated them into their demo). At last I took them with me again. Now I just love them. Not because they changed, but because I got used to them. In this case I'm not sure if it would have worked out that way had I not had the option of returning it, allowing me to reset my perception and start from new.

Anyway, long story short: I'm happy it worked out for you. That Raal model I heard last year in Munich and quite liked it (did not hear it for long, but at least in one of those damped rooms). I really don't appreciate their recent price hike with their new model though. 10k is a joke. But the Ca-1a has a fitting price for a special headphone I think.
The CA-1a is an exceptional phone when you consider the sound quality for the price. But, I don’t accept your ‘10K is a joke’ comment unless you’ve heard Immanis in comparison to the Shang Sr or Spirit Valkyria and have also denounced the price of those as an even bigger joke, as they’re both more expensive than Immanis. I must also advise you that the CA-1a is sold by Raal-Requisite out of Ventura, CA. Immanis is sold by Raal 1995 through a series of regional and national dealers, an entirely different business model. The CA-1a has 2 ribbon drivers, 1 per side, Immanis has 6 ribbon drivers, 3 per side. Immanis is at least 2 levels above the CA-1a in terms of sound quality; I own both and I know this to be true. It all comes down to what price/value you place on being astounded by the music you listen to. I’m 70 years of age and I’ve never experienced the sound that I’m currently hearing through my Immanis; this is why for me your ‘10K is a joke’ comment is worthless. Hear it first before making such comments.
Edit: please don’t take these words personally, I’m not ‘attacking’ you the person, I’m merely responding to the words you used.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #3,392 of 3,397
The CA-1a is an exceptional phone when you consider the sound quality for the price. But, I don’t accept your ‘10K is a joke’ comment unless you’ve heard Immanis in comparison to the Shang Sr or Spirit Valkyria and have also denounced the price of those as an even bigger joke, as they’re both more expensive than Immanis. I must also advise you that the CA-1a is sold by Raal-Requisite out of Ventura, CA. Immanis is sold by Raal 1995 through a series of regional and national dealers, an entirely different business model. The CA-1a has 2 ribbon drivers, 1 per side, Immanis has 6 ribbon drivers, 3 per side. Immanis is at least 2 levels above the CA-1a in terms of sound quality; I own both and I know this to be true. It all comes down to what price/value you place on being astounded by the music you listen to. I’m 70 years of age and I’ve never experienced the sound that I’m currently hearing through my Immanis; this is why for me your ‘10K is a joke’ comment is worthless. Hear it first before making such comments.
Edit: please don’t take these words personally, I’m not ‘attacking’ you the person, I’m merely responding to the words you used.
Happy that you like yours, but sorry, I don’t take that kind of advice.
I stand by my statement. The others you mentioned are on a similar level of absurd to me. If anybody likes them — fine. I don’t like that price pushing.

Jun 8, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #3,393 of 3,397
As you bought Immanis, you approved it's price tag. I guess Immanis is priced in line with og Susvara, as many buyers propably already have Star 8 silver cable and transformer box(if needed) so the price is about 7800-7900 € of which you propably get a nice best price offer.
What I've read, Immanis's sound quality is reviewed as phenomenal. So, the upwards creeping price tags of totl headphones might well be acceptabe when appreciating the best possible sound quality in high end.
Have great moments with your Immanis!

Jun 8, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #3,394 of 3,397
I stand by my statement. The others you mentioned are on a similar level of absurd to me. If anybody likes them — fine. I don’t like that price pushing.
Compared to the estimated production costs many totl headphones are hugely pricey. Market behaviour determines of course the prices, if new top headphones don't sell well, the prices should come down to cover the RD expenses. E.g og Susvara has had exceptionally long lifespan, it has sold well and the prices have been high. What happens after Sus Unveiled enters the market, we'll see.

Jun 8, 2024 at 5:52 PM Post #3,395 of 3,397
Not sure what kind of advice I was giving. I don’t see that I was giving any advice, I was just stating my position relative to yours. Be happy with your decisions in life and I’ll be happy with mine.

Jun 8, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #3,396 of 3,397
Nice to see you found your way home again after all that trouble-making elsewhere….

ps 🤭

Don't worry....even if it doesn't seem like it....I'm everywhere 😎

NOMAX

PS.😉

Jun 8, 2024 at 6:58 PM Post #3,397 of 3,397
Some OT ahead...

Yes, getting used to a headphone definitely is possible. The farther off the current experience a headphone is, the longer this will take.
I'm currently facing a similar problem: I try to decide between 3 Schiit amps (namely the Asgard 3, the Valhalla 2 and the Lyr+) mainly for my Grados. Can't try them out anywhere, and don't want to order all three to send two back. There's not so much money on the line as with a Composer or the Raal, and I think I'll just go with the Asgard, which looks like the most versatile option while minimizing risk buying blind.

Another story that comes down to the same pattern: I bought my GS3000x a while ago, had some initial problems (2 times defective drivers, first one even with cuts on the wood, so one exchange and one repair) and did not really like them. My local shop would take them back, which I gladly accepted. I tried them again and again over the following weeks (they had integrated them into their demo). At last I took them with me again. Now I just love them. Not because they changed, but because I got used to them. In this case I'm not sure if it would have worked out that way had I not had the option of returning it, allowing me to reset my perception and start from new.

Anyway, long story short: I'm happy it worked out for you. That Raal model I heard last year in Munich and quite liked it (did not hear it for long, but at least in one of those damped rooms). I really don't appreciate their recent price hike with their new model though. 10k is a joke. But the Ca-1a has a fitting price for a special headphone I think.
While I've also suggested it's best not to buy blind, I've always accepted this is really just a way to reduce risk rather than avoiding it altogether. It usually takes me quite a while to settle on my own preferences - I've been known to buy and sell a component more than once before deciding I should have kept it! My experience with the Composer is reasonably typical for me - some flip-flopping after extended listening. It's probably fair to say I never arrive at a final position. Reading the initial and later impressions of others is interesting I find where they reflect changing feelings about the component.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back