Tempotec V3 DAP - small, powerful, functional with Hiby OS
May 15, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #646 of 655
Anyone bought V3D? I thought it will be cheaper then V3 but it looks that I was wrong. I'm trying get answer from TempoTec why V3D cost more but it's hard to communicate with them. Any information what cause price difference?

May 15, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #647 of 655
Anyone bought V3D? I thought it will be cheaper then V3 but it looks that I was wrong. I'm trying get answer from TempoTec why V3D cost more but it's hard to communicate with them. Any information what cause price difference?
Link?

May 23, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #649 of 655
Here is my firmware mod (minor changes). I still hope that TempoTec will release new firmware with fixes all of bugs https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tem...-functional-with-hiby-os.971088/post-18049093.
I can do fix only these minors:
- excluded flag file /usr/resource/dac_out_more_than_384k_fail from firmware to support 705kHz and 786kHz output to external USB DAC
Now it can play 705kHz and 786kHz FLAC with output to USB DAC FoxLess DA1.
- excluded flag file /usr/resource/bt_more_than_192k_fail from the firmware to support to play >192kHz PCM with Bluetooth.
Now it can play >192kHz PCM over Bluetooth.
- replaced bluetooth firmware on BCM4343A1_001.002.009.0122.0482.hcd (kind of update, internal build label is Wistron_Indigo2_BCM43438A1_UART_26MHz_wlbga_eLG_lite_BT51-0122) Don't see any significant changes, BTW I do not often use BT on V3.
- replaced fonts by XVortex - taken them from snoopy112's HibyR3 V3.4 firmware mod (his modded fonts are without Asian ligatures)
- few unimportant translation fixes
- optimized graphical resources (png files from GUI theme) and few binaries like in snoopy112's fw mods.
Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/5lqen5mqxuhmxrk/mod_fonts_new.zip/file
same mod but stock fonts (if you prefer that)
Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/qsgn6cdsnszo49n/stock_fonts_new.zip/file
How to install: extract archive, copy v3_analog.upt to root of your microSD card. Go to System -> Firmware Update -> Via SD-card.
Or you can run the update from powered off state: just hold two buttons, 'Power' button and 'Forward' button (<<) until V3 is powered on and Updater V1.1 is appeared on the screen. Wait until it's finished.
You always can revert on original firmware v1.0 v3_analog.upt the same way.

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 10:21 PM Post #650 of 655
I just saw the V3D starting to preorder here in Taiwan for about $312 USD. the existing V3 is about $218 here.

May 23, 2024 at 10:28 PM Post #651 of 655
Thanks. Unfortunately I still don't know what is done better in V3D over V3 to justify price difference. I've got only "it's different, and it need external dac, can't be use alone".
I just suspect if I need it only for transport through usb then V3 is fine.

May 24, 2024 at 3:42 AM Post #652 of 655
Hi, has anyone got an issue - I've been running play the music from menu Music/Files/Sd-card/ ...folder (play through folders, play mode - loop list are activated) and when in selected folder had finished playing last file device stopped playing and reloaded with losing position.

May 24, 2024 at 7:07 AM Post #653 of 655
My V3 has some annoying issues:

1. Player menu sometimes randomly disconnect my SD card, so I can't reach my music files for a while. After navigating forward and backward in menus or after restarting V3 it detects my SD card again. I think that it is system glitch or bug, because I tried different SD cards and had the same issue from time to time.

2. Tidal music app disconnects user login data every time when I restart V3. Each time when I power on my V3 I have to type Tidal username and password again. Also Tidal app has noticeable lower playback sound quality compared to when I'm using Tidal from my Smartphone connect to V3 via usb as a D.A.C.

3. The most annoying issue is volume level control harware or software glitch. System automaticaly keeps increasing or decreasing volume level to the max or to the zero level. This happens when I quickly push volume + or - buttons to increase or decrease volume for 5 or more steps at one time. This does not happen when I push volume + or - buttons slowly and only couple steps. I set my max volume much lower because of this issue, preventing not to damage my hearing or headphones.

Despite of these issues I really like V3 sound quality and how small and powerful this little DAP is for the price. I'm using it mostly as a DAP when going outside for a walk, but also often using it as a DAC connected to my Smartphone and playing my local and Tidal music files with UAPP or Neutron, to increase sound quality even more. I was really surprised how good it can drive my Focal Elegia and Clear headphones via 4.4 balanced output at High Gain and only 50% volume level. The sound is musical, well controlled and with quite good level of details and technicalities, regarding its price. This DAP reminds me my old DAP "Zishan DSD AK4497" - it was also very musical, quite powerful with good technicalities while keeping the small size factor, which I really love.

I wish Tempotec some day could release top tier DAP with ESS9039PRO or AK4499EX with powerful amplification section, keeping similar compact design, musical sound signature and affordable price. 👌👌👌 I wish all the best for this company in the future.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #654 of 655
Player menu sometimes randomly disconnect my SD card, so I can't reach my music files for a while. After navigating forward and backward in menus or after restarting V3 it detects my SD card again. I think that it is system glitch or bug, because I tried different SD cards and had the same issue from time to time.
I have this problem sometimes too. It often happened when V3 is in the pocket and never happened when V3 is on the table or near to me on the couch. I guess it probably can be related to electrostatic problem. BTW I don't have any case, do you have one? Should I bought the case for V3?

May 24, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #655 of 655
My V3 has some annoying issues:

1. Player menu sometimes randomly disconnect my SD card, so I can't reach my music files for a while. After navigating forward and backward in menus or after restarting V3 it detects my SD card again. I think that it is system glitch or bug, because I tried different SD cards and had the same issue from time to time.

2. Tidal music app disconnects user login data every time when I restart V3. Each time when I power on my V3 I have to type Tidal username and password again. Also Tidal app has noticeable lower playback sound quality compared to when I'm using Tidal from my Smartphone connect to V3 via usb as a D.A.C.

3. The most annoying issue is volume level control harware or software glitch. System automaticaly keeps increasing or decreasing volume level to the max or to the zero level. This happens when I quickly push volume + or - buttons to increase or decrease volume for 5 or more steps at one time. This does not happen when I push volume + or - buttons slowly and only couple steps. I set my max volume much lower because of this issue, preventing not to damage my hearing or headphones.

Despite of these issues I really like V3 sound quality and how small and powerful this little DAP is for the price. I'm using it mostly as a DAP when going outside for a walk, but also often using it as a DAC connected to my Smartphone and playing my local and Tidal music files with UAPP or Neutron, to increase sound quality even more. I was really surprised how good it can drive my Focal Elegia and Clear headphones via 4.4 balanced output at High Gain and only 50% volume level. The sound is musical, well controlled and with quite good level of details and technicalities, regarding its price. This DAP reminds me my old DAP "Zishan DSD AK4497" - it was also very musical, quite powerful with good technicalities while keeping the small size factor, which I really love.

I wish Tempotec some day could release top tier DAP with ESS9039PRO or AK4499EX with powerful amplification section, keeping similar compact design, musical sound signature and affordable price. 👌👌👌 I wish all the best for this company in the future.
I've never had any problems reading the SD or the volumen with the V3 even before the update. Before 1.0, the UI once got frozen. But now is perfect. What I've never tried is to log in to Tidal or Qobuz.
I have this problem sometimes too. It often happened when V3 is in the pocket and never happened when V3 is on the table or near to me on the couch. I guess it probably can be related to electrostatic problem. BTW I don't have any case, do you have one? Should I bought the case for V3?
Get your case. It is well built, better than the V6.

Attachments

• 20240524_114932.jpg
    20240524_114932.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back