SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 14, 2024 at 7:27 AM Post #15,676 of 15,683
I have the 1AM2 which I almost exclusively use only on my off days. The ZX507 is, to me, the sweet spot for sound quality, portability/pocketability and handiness/convenience, as well as aesthetics, in terms of daily use. ZX707 falls far behind the 507 for those considerations/purposes viewed as a whole.
Agree, the ZX507 is a nice size to carry around. I still have a ZX507 and a ZX300. Though I've become lazy, and when outside, use a WF-1000XM5 (TWS), with an iPhone. It works well vial BT connected to the A306 also, which is a nice compact solution.

May 14, 2024 at 7:47 AM Post #15,677 of 15,683
Some details in this discussion from 2012
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-eu-volume-cap-mystery.600111/post-8211599

In short EU passed laws to protect people's hearing. This is a wrong use of law, impractical, and impossible, which I see as no different than passing a law on what/how much people can eat so they will not get obese. But regardless, a law it is.

But it is a mess, as mandating a specific decibel limit, without taking into consideration that different amps/headphones could need more or less power for the same decibel output. So manufacturers (large ones that have a lot of revenue that can be penalized) have implemented a cap, mostly with the goal to reduce the risk of large fines, and they err on the side of caution. The law itself is badly defined, as the DAP manufacturer has no way of knowing what headphone/earphone the user will use, so have no way to tell what the decibel output will be. So the implementation is often brute force, as the EU enforcement could be arbitrary, so companies choose not to take chances with the implementation. They will err on the side of too much, rather than not enough.

Another question people ask is why so many small DAP companies do not implement a volume cap. The general understanding is that they are too small (footprint/revenue) to be targeted by the EU for extra revenue, and they can always just pull out of the market at any time, if they have to. In addition, even the distribution network could be grey market, so they can say they are not officially releasing products into the EU.

People also ask why the manufacturer does not provide a way to defeat the volume cap, like with a setting, alternate Firmware, etc. The answer is obvious, of course. Any bypass provided by a manufacturer would absolutely be interpreted as breaking the law, and would leave the company open to punitive fines.

That this law is stupid, and badly/not thought out properly? Yes, it absolutely is. But anybody who tries to argue with the government will lose. First by spending a fortune on lawyers and courts, and then by forced product changes/recalls, and penalties.

That the EU passes many mandates, and regularly assesses large fines against corporates, should not be news to anybody. A quick search online will find many examples.
What a detailed response! Much appreciated. 🍺

May 14, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #15,678 of 15,683
A306 plus XBA-N3... 90% of AM2 plus Z1R... and 25% of the price... :)
I wonder if most people in this thread would agree with this percentage about the difference between the a306 and the AM2. I know that sometimes, in this hobby, the quest is just to get that final 10%. But, I really want to know the sound of the Sony house. I have some DAPs and I've had others... but I've never had a Sony... Having a collection of IEMs... like listening to music and not having a Sony DAP? This cannot happen under my own laws. 😂

May 14, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #15,679 of 15,683
I have another question:
I'm in Europe.
My DAP use case will truly only be with my IEM collection.
I use desktop amp for my open back headphones. And in extreme cases, if I need to use a DAP with headphones, I can take advantage of the power of the DX300.

So, my simple question is:
Can I live with an AM2 with the gain limitation imposed by the EU if I am going to use only IEMs?
Is there a difference in dynamics or overall sound when using high gain on the AM2?
I don't know if it will be easy to get an Uncapped version.
I would have to deal with imports and taxes.
And maybe I can get a European version at a good price.

So, would you buy a version without the high gain, if only this option existed?

As an example, I only use low gain with my IEMs on the DX300. But, of course, the DX300 has much more power.
But, I also have good volume on the M300, which doesn't have a gain option, for example... despite not having much dynamics and quality.

Anyway, do I lose anything in terms of sound quality when using the limited EU option only on my IEMs?

May 14, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #15,680 of 15,683
Is there a difference in dynamics or overall sound when using high gain on the AM2?
No. Not in my experience.
So, would you buy a version without the high gain, if only this option existed?

Mm probably not ..if I had to get one I 'd get the full package/options..
Anyway, do I lose anything in terms of sound quality when using the limited EU option only on my IEMs?
Not really in my exp ( 1am2 with gain cap )

May 14, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #15,681 of 15,683
I wonder if most people in this thread would agree with this percentage about the difference between the a306 and the AM2. I know that sometimes, in this hobby, the quest is just to get that final 10%. But, I really want to know the sound of the Sony house.
In fact, Sony house paradigm sound is quite peculiar ,.. worth a listen for sure .

May 14, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #15,682 of 15,683
The 'capped' 1am2 is not that shy of power..not for IEMs.. Anyhow , since there's option , it's better to account for that day that you'd want to try that headphones / anything on it , and you may be left asking for else ( more power ) ; that day you would be happy to have option to do and try it on high gain

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #15,683 of 15,683
I agree with the above, the capped WM1Am2 sounds amazing and easily drives my IEMs with plenty of headroom (64 Volur, Hisenior Mega5est, Campfire Ara).
I actually compared it with the Cayin N7 while I owned both at the same time and chose the Sony, but I only intended to use it with IEMs so didn’t need much power.

I would however recommend finding an uncapped one if you can to be honest as it just covers you for more headphones if you need it in the future.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back