SONY IER-Z1R
May 10, 2024 at 2:25 AM Post #15,286 of 15,290
Yes, you describe the sound well. Most speak of the bass but it's actually Z1R treble that makes it the best all rounder I've heard, in my opinion. Both fits are 'correct', I can use Sony S tips for a deep fit, or M tips for a shallower seal. I get a good seal on both (easy to test seal, use a track with bass drums like Hotel California and check that they hit like they should).

As long as you're only inserting the nozzle up to the teardrop ridge on the shell, you're doing it right. Try shove it any further, like some people oddly try to do, and you'll have all sorts of fit issues. Look at the shape of the shell - the teardrop bulge just below the nozzle corresponds with the same cavity shape in our ears. It's literally designed to 'slot in', but you can also push it slightly further out with a larger tip if you don't mind the earpieces balancing on the tip itself.

As above, yes you can get a good seal.with both, one deeper, one shallower. Most say treble is less splashy with a deeper fit. I wear it that way because it's more comfortable and the nozzle is thin enough to do so. With IEMs with thicker nozzles I only have a shallow fit as an option.
I’m in the position where I can only get a good seal with L or LL tips and at the same time that is a deep fit. With anything smaller I can’t get a fit at all and there don’t exist a tip that is large enough for me to get a shallow fit. But then agsin I have a very large ear canal and cavity, the shells of my JH13 ciem are the same size as the whole body of the Z1R.

I don’t have any comfort issues and can use the Z1R the whole day though normally the longest I use it is about 4 hours (the duration of a Wagner opera)

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 2:38 AM Post #15,287 of 15,290
In the very beginning i had fit issues with the IER-Z1R for which i found workarounds, but nothing was really comfortable for a long listening session.

The only thing i considered comfortable was when i tried the foam i used on my IER-M9. I went for a different size, but in the end, i could wear it quite comfortable with my good ol COMPLY TZ-200.

Especially they did no longer move after inserting them and so just stayed in place which helped a lot

May 10, 2024 at 3:08 AM Post #15,288 of 15,290
Team shallow fit for the 2mm of extra soundstage
IMG_0696.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0696.jpeg
    IMG_0696.jpeg
    51.2 KB · Views: 0
May 10, 2024 at 3:10 AM Post #15,289 of 15,290
6kHz vs 12kHz resonance team, pick your poison.

May 10, 2024 at 3:53 AM Post #15,290 of 15,290
Have you tried something in between? I'd find it hard to believe you can get a proper seal with both SS and L... (?)
Oh yes, I have tried M size with the IER M9's stock silicon hybrids (they're the same, right?) as this z1r unit is a bit old with some of its stock tips missing.

I was able to get a good seal with them as well, and it was a very slight in-between when going for a deeper and shallower fit. I was just curious on the whole conversation between shallower and deeper fits, and I guess I played around with the ss and L tips because those were the stock accessories that were still there for me to use in the unit that I received lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back