Sony budget earphone discussion thread (MH750, MH755, MH1C, EX300, etc)
Apr 17, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #2,537 of 2,546
will give this one a try when i find the time for the procedure. what foam tips do you use, original sony ones?where to buy?and in reverse sounds to me that they become smaller towards the iem??
i really liked the e 5000 sound signature whise but had to let it go due to the huge power requirements/low volumes in portable setting
Comply T-500 medium or large, depending on what fits you best.

No it's the opposite, it's better in reverse because that way the tip won't cover the IEM nozzle when they're in your ear.

Apr 19, 2024 at 5:54 AM Post #2,538 of 2,546
Comply T-500 medium or large, depending on what fits you best.

No it's the opposite, it's better in reverse because that way the tip won't cover the IEM nozzle when they're in your ear.
have you tried the official sony foam tips? have you tried other silicon sony tips? with the t 500 it says the average lifespan is about 2-3 months, kind of a dealbreaker for me when they degrade that quickly. the silicon tips that came with eg my Sony XBA 40 are still going strong and can be soap washed for renewed comfort..

Apr 19, 2024 at 9:29 AM Post #2,539 of 2,546
have you tried the official sony foam tips? have you tried other silicon sony tips? with the t 500 it says the average lifespan is about 2-3 months, kind of a dealbreaker for me when they degrade that quickly. the silicon tips that came with eg my Sony XBA 40 are still going strong and can be soap washed for renewed comfort..
Yes I tried other silicon tips on other IEMs, but I always found they add a metallic tinge to the sound compared to foam tips. You're right with the lifespan of Comply tips.

If you want to try silicon tips, I found the regular JVC Spiral Dots to sound the most natural (least amount of metallic tinge) compared to other silicon tips I've tried (Spiral Dot++, SpinFits, Sony Hybrid, Final E and a couple of others that I don't remember off the back of my head)

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #2,540 of 2,546
Yes I tried other silicon tips on other IEMs, but I always found they add a metallic tinge to the sound compared to foam tips. You're right with the lifespan of Comply tips.

If you want to try silicon tips, I found the regular JVC Spiral Dots to sound the most natural (least amount of metallic tinge) compared to other silicon tips I've tried (Spiral Dot++, SpinFits, Sony Hybrid, Final E and a couple of others that I don't remember off the back of my head)
Great, I just ordered Spiral++ in 2 sizes a couple of months ago that I found inferior to the stock Sony Silicon Tips (too much treble elevation, kind of harsh with mh750) and now you are saying I have to order some Spiral + tips.. at least I know my size now:)
Just for kicks will try these comply tips also. Is it essential to use these exact version or other comply tips ok to? It looks like the ones you recommended are not "compatible" with any Sony model

Apr 22, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #2,541 of 2,546
Great, I just ordered Spiral++ in 2 sizes a couple of months ago that I found inferior to the stock Sony Silicon Tips (too much treble elevation, kind of harsh with mh750) and now you are saying I have to order some Spiral + tips.. at least I know my size now:)
Just for kicks will try these comply tips also. Is it essential to use these exact version or other comply tips ok to? It looks like the ones you recommended are not "compatible" with any Sony model
I meant regular Spiral Dot tips aka EP-FX9, not the + version because that one and the ++ have a different material then the regular Spiral Dots.

You could use other versions of Comply tips, as long as the hole in the tip is atleast as big as the nozzle of the MH750. I found T-500 in reverse to give me the best seal.

Apr 27, 2024 at 8:57 AM Post #2,542 of 2,546
KakaoTalk_20240427_203458004.jpg

I tried the Symphonium Meteor recently.

Right from the start, something felt off about the midrange.

The MH755 has a straightforward, smart tuning that feels spot-on.

The Meteor has great clarity, excellent consistency between drivers, and good dynamics, but a weird midrange messes it all up. The more I listen, the more I appreciate its consistency and dynamics, making it sound somewhat appealing, but it's not something I'd love forever. This feeling reminds me of the Dorado 2020. I think a score around 4.5 would be good.

On the other hand, the Dusk(3.5mm analog, not a DSP cable) has an excellent midrange, better than the top 1%, but it unnecessarily follows trends like 64audio with too much emphasis on the high treble, making vocals and instruments sound a bit sharp and messing up the tone. The coherence between drivers is lacking, especially in dynamics, making it sound relatively flat in a dynamic sense. Still, after comparing them recently to the em6l, magic one, volume, performer8, hype2, and quintet, I found that both the quintet and dusk appealed to me the most. These two are worth a score similar to the MH755(5.0).

I'm considering the Symphonium Crimson as my next IEM. Hoping for a score of 5.5 or higher!

+++
I would like to downgrade Meteor from 4.5 to 4.0. The Meteor has a noticeably worse midrange than the N3ap, and has a similar immersion feel to Project Refine's Driver A ($22 IEM).

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 9:29 PM Post #2,543 of 2,546
KakaoTalk_20240427_203458004.jpg

I tried the Symphonium Meteor recently.

Right from the start, something felt off about the midrange.

The MH755 has a straightforward, smart tuning that feels spot-on.

The Meteor has great clarity, excellent consistency between drivers, and good dynamics, but a weird midrange messes it all up. The more I listen, the more I appreciate its consistency and dynamics, making it sound somewhat appealing, but it's not something I'd love forever. This feeling reminds me of the Dorado 2020. I think a score around 4.5 would be good.

On the other hand, the Dusk(3.5mm analog, not a DSP cable) has an excellent midrange, better than the top 1%, but it unnecessarily follows trends like 64audio with too much emphasis on the high treble, making vocals and instruments sound a bit sharp and messing up the tone. The coherence between drivers is lacking, especially in dynamics, making it sound relatively flat in a dynamic sense. Still, after comparing them recently to the em6l, magic one, volume, performer8, hype2, and quintet, I found that both the quintet and dusk appealed to me the most. These two are worth a score similar to the MH755(5.0).

I'm considering the Symphonium Crimson as my next IEM. Hoping for a score of 5.5 or higher!

+++
I would like to downgrade Meteor from 4.5 to 4.0. The Meteor has a noticeably worse midrange than the N3ap, and has a similar immersion feel to Project Refine's Driver A ($22 IEM).
I don't know for sure if your posts are serious or not, but they're certainly entertaining!

May 4, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #2,544 of 2,546
KakaoTalk_20240504_220848803.jpg

The Symphonium Crimson sounds noticeably less weird in the midrange than the Meteor.

I am dissatisfied with the trend in IEMs these days.
The high-treble emphasis, which seems to be inspired by 64Audio, creates a slight popping sound at the end of vocals and instruments, and has a negative effect on the tone. This is prominent on Crinacle Dusk, and a similar approach was taken on Symphonium Crimson. I'm so sad...

Crimson has a cleaner midrange compared to Meteor. Resolution is still good, although there's no noticeable improvement, and consistency between drivers is less impressive than with the Meteor. I think it's a trade-off for low-mid.

Dynamics are also excellent. The driver doesn't feel any effort in producing the sound and it feels leisurely.

The bass quality of the Crimson is a few steps behind the MH755, and the consistency and tone of the MH755 also feel better. The clear winner is the MH755.

A suitable rival to the Crimson is the WF-1000xm5. The Crimson's performance excellence is offset by the xm5's tonal excellence. Both are great. But the MH755 is better.

The current immersion scorecard is as follows:

5.5 - Life Partner
Hyla Sarda (51)
IER-Z1R (67)
KSC75 (80)
Hidition Waltz (49)

5 - Very Excellent
MH755 (63)
Hidition NT1 (55)
ATH-R70X(Stock pad) (H90)
Crinacle Dusk (63)

4.5 - Excellent
Symphonium Crimson (H57)
Samsung Galaxy Buds 2 pro
Moondrop CHU
XBA-N3 (53)
WF-1000xm5
Xelento (49)

4 - Great
MDR-MA900
Symphonium Meteor (H50)
Quarks DSP
DriverA3
ATH-R70X(Leatherette pad)

3.5 - Good
HE400se
LG C-type bundle
CU&Cresyn C-type
Samsung EO-IG955
7Hz Zero
Crinacle Zero:RED
Final ze3000

3 - Not that bad
Sony MDR-E9LP
WH-1000xm5
Ucotech ES903MK2
Beyerdynamic Beatbyrd
Quarks
Tanchjim Zero
CCA CRA

2.5 - A little bad
Cresyn C107S

2 - Bad
Phiaton MS300BA
Iriver ICP-005i
Cowon EG2

1 - Garbage
Iriver ICP-001i
samsung EO-IG955(fake)

May 6, 2024 at 5:47 AM Post #2,545 of 2,546
Hi all,
One of my MH755 earphones started sounding lower than the other, so I took their black filter mesh out for a cleaning. I tried with a toothbrush and isopropyl alcohol first, but that didn't help, so I soaked them in warm water with baking soda for a while. They are clean now and no longer clogged. However - one of the two filter mesh basically doesn't have any glue left on it and won't glue back to the earphone. The mesh is also incredibly small in size, which makes it very hard to glue it back like you would do with something else. I tried using Moment universal glue, which turned out to be really inappropriate for use with such a small item and started to spread everywhere and create a mess, so I soaked the mesh again to clean it from the mess I created 🙃 And now the mesh itself has started deteriorating on the edges (photo below)
https://i.postimg.cc/JmDG4k6M/20240505-125828.jpg
I read online that the filter mesh actually has an effect on sound quality and I have to say that they do sound kinda better to me with the mesh on (article on mesh impact here - https://www.audioreviews.org/lets-talk-nozzle-mesh-screens-dw/ )
Having all that in mind - what glue would you suggest I use in order to glue back this already partly damaged filter mesh? Or - which is arguably the better alternative - can you recommend a website from where I could just order some replacement mesh for the MH755? I suppose that I need to order exactly the same mesh as the original in the headphones in order to keep their original sound, which may prove tricky to find.

May 8, 2024 at 4:50 AM Post #2,546 of 2,546
KakaoTalk_20240508_173246455.jpg

I got MH750 from Sony Xperia Community.

Volume 63 on the MH755 is equivalent to volume 65 on the MH750.

Basically, the performance of the two is very similar. There is a slight tonal difference.

The MH750's balance is tilted a little more downward.

I like the MH755 better. Treble is more pleasantly emphasized, and the relatively cleaner emphasis on sub-bass makes the kick drum sweeter.

It's very enjoyable to listen to both in turns. These easily beat at least half of the hundreds and thousands of dollar IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back