Shanling M5 Ultra - High-End MTouch Portable Player - Releasing in April 2024
May 8, 2024 at 4:49 AM Post #136 of 144
So I also have a question about Tidal as to how it works on the player. I've never had Tidal. So I have to create a Tidal account on my cell phone or computer and then scan the player and then I'm logged in? Apparently I can't open an account on the player itself.
Thanks for some Information. :beerchug:

May 8, 2024 at 6:59 AM Post #137 of 144
Tidal integration is fine. You scan the QR code once to register the M5U as a new device for your Tidal account. That's all it needs. The next time you start Tidal it will not ask again (don't know for how long the logged in state will be active).
Just got my M5U today and switching from a M3X I'm really impressed. The resolution is much better, more dynamic and simply more fun to listen to. I have an over-ear headset (Meze 109 Pro) and this combination seems to work great. I'm really impressed and didn't think the difference would be so big.
The UI responds much, much faster. On a cold start, the M5U is there very quickly - no comparison to the minute wait on the M3X. So - I have to keep trying and listening... :wink:

May 8, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #138 of 144
On my side for streaming I use iphone 13 pro max and AirPlay to m5u. I stream only Spotify and always been a huge lover of Spotify nothing pleased me more and all my favourite music is there.

What I found is that AirPlay sounds better then Bluetooth and usb dac mode is the ultimate best sounding way for streaming. My 13 pro max don’t work well with my m5u in usb dac, it doesn’t connect @Shanling I tested it with my wm1zm2 and android phone and no problems everything is working. So with IPhone you only get AirPlay as option. My H5 worked flawlessly with my 13 pro max in usb dac…

Also tested from my sony in ldac hq (990kbps) and AirPlay still sounds better to my ears. Its wifi vs Bluetooth.

I really like the way m5u ui is done is simple fast and reliable not a single hick-up yet no hard reset either. Standby mode is very neet, battery longevity is impressive as well.
M5u is impressive even if its not android its super easy to stream into it, Bluetooth, airplay, dlna, usb dac. Internal music files sound amazing very high quality.

A quick update on my m5u burn in, I have to say its very impressive soundstage has opened up and while background is black it still has very good extensions and expansion in notes. You can feel that fade away effect so good.
The bass got ultra fun, so detailed so deep, so addictive just love it love it so much, I am starting to love my m5u more then the H5 😄
The elna silmic capacitors are very impressive in sound character and starting to love them more than the Sony's. Simply delightfully amazing and so good. M5u just ticks all my favourite cravings in music such a gem. 😇🥰

May 8, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #139 of 144
I love the M5U more and more every day. I've listened to more hours of music in the 8 days I've had it than I did in four months with the Sony WM1 AM 2. Good thing it went away with almost no loss. I won't cry a tear after that. To be honest, I'm glad the M5U came out. And yes, it gets better and better the more hours it burns in. I'm now at 165. It's really addictive!!! Just a quick listen isn't possible. :smiley: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:beerchug:

May 14, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #141 of 144
Hello all, I have the shanling m3 ultra which was fine for 80% of my headphones but struggled with my nicer closed back headphone, the DCA Aeon nior 2 ballanced.. and a fee others.. but focusing on the DCA because the closed back desine is good to on the go, but it requires power.

I mainly use the m3 for tidal on the go with mainly the of use of downloaded music on the Tidal App. Spend alot of time away from wifi and cell coverage.

I got my m5 ultra today, I updated the firmware, tidal is now there.. I linked my acc and that worked great.

The two issues I have.

With tidal linked it is absent all options to download on tidal app.. is this not an option for the m5 ultra.. is it comming?

The other is the sound cuts out at about 85% and the amp trips, need to do a reset to get it to work again.. I'm pretty sure this is a protect feature, as that 85 on hi gain is on really difficult headphones. the dca aeons go to loud levels with low distortion.. about the max of my listen level..then it peak and reaches its limit and trips. it pushed every thing else just fine..

but the biggest issue is the tidal download issue

Only had it an hour but may have to send it back as the only real feature I got it for is not there.

May 15, 2024 at 6:30 AM Post #143 of 144
My m5u is coming to my place soon so hopefully I will share my impressions as well as a comparison with m6u this weekend

Users who are viewing this thread

Back