Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
May 13, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #8,791 of 8,800
I am new to the HD800s and I have to say that I am happily surprised. I find the bass to be great, super enjoyable, clear, deep soundstage, super comfortable, etc... an amazing headphone on my book!

I am lucky I was able to try it on my chain. I imagine the bass may vary a lot depending on your particular chain, but for me the sound I am getting from the Decware ZMF OTL + HD800S checks all my boxes! :dt880smile:

May 13, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #8,792 of 8,800
I am new to the HD800s and I have to say that I am happily surprised. I find the bass to be great, super enjoyable, clear, deep soundstage, super comfortable, etc... an amazing headphone on my book!

I am lucky I was able to try it on my chain. I imagine the bass may vary a lot depending on your particular chain, but for me the sound I am getting from the Decware ZMF OTL + HD800S checks all my boxes! :dt880smile:
My tube amp is nowhere near as grand as the price of yours suggests, but my humble Little Dot mk4 does a remarkable job feeding bass to the 800s. Not huge quantity (I actually have to tune the bass down 2db using the mojo2 eq), but great, tight & controlled. More than enough for most genres. If I need more, then its time to switch to the lcd-x.

May 14, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #8,793 of 8,800

In my point of view, Sennheiser HD 800 S is the best buy in all of hi-fi and head-fi. An amazing product with outstanding value for money.

May 14, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #8,794 of 8,800
In my point of view, Sennheiser HD 800 S is the best buy in all of hi-fi and head-fi. An amazing product with outstanding value for money.
In today's uber expensive, ever increasing prices, you have a point. But just maaaybe the drop 6xx when you can get it around 200 USD might be the best buy. And then there are the entry level iems where for less then a 100 bucks you get a taste of hifi. But of course, for high end headphones, the HD800S have an really good price/performance ratio.

May 14, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #8,795 of 8,800
In today's uber expensive, ever increasing prices, you have a point. But just maaaybe the drop 6xx when you can get it around 200 USD might be the best buy. And then there are the entry level iems where for less then a 100 bucks you get a taste of hifi. But of course, for high end headphones, the HD800S have an really good price/performance ratio.
NO - hard no on the 6xx in comparison - where's the high frequencies? where's the air? MIA for the 6xx.

May 14, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #8,796 of 8,800
NO - hard no on the 6xx in comparison - where's the high frequencies? where's the air? MIA for the 6xx.
It's not a comparision. The HD800S is a better headphone. But bang for the buck? 99% of humanity would be super happy with the 6XX, that's why drop has sold 200k of them. Plus there whatever hundred of thousands senn has sold.

May 14, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #8,798 of 8,800
99% of humanity does not come here....
I'm not arguing that it's not a bargain, but say the AT MSR7b bests it and so does the HD-580, easily.
Sorry, my personal disappointment with the 6XX has colored my opinion of its place in this realm.
I didn't like either as much as the 6xx. But as always ymmv

May 14, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #8,799 of 8,800
I didn't like either as much as the 6xx. But as always ymmv
Interesting thing about each of those two headphones was the transformation each underwent with a cable upgrade (more so than with any other phones in many years of experience - a way in which they correspond). The stock cable was replaced on the HD-580 with the first of the Cardas headphone cables and every aspect of the 580's was opened wide up and then those phones full virtues made sense and were obvious. Worst stock cable ever.
Similarly with the AT MSR-7b's, but not quite as pronounced, the substitution of the AT braided brown cable (single ended) for the stock one made me wonder why AT chose to sabotage the SQ of their phones - or at least should offer some sort of audiophile package with a discounted price for that +$100 cable. They came alive.

May 14, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #8,800 of 8,800
If we include non-current phones, I think the Sony MDR-MA900 is also worthy of mention. Around $200AUS (good used) for terrific phones that will work with anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back