Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
May 8, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #2,011 of 2,024
My Rag 2 just came in today and I'm liking it a lot so far. But have a question for anyone else with one. I hear a noticeable hissing on medium gain with the volume knob past 3:00 and on high gain past 12:00. Maybe I'm just using too sensitive headphones (HD 660s)? These volumes are wayyy to high for normal listening with these headphones anyways just curious if this is normal.
The only time I've ever heard any noise or hiss is when I used very sensitive IEMs (lol).

When you unplug your source, is it still hissing?

May 8, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #2,012 of 2,024
I have zero audible background noise on any gain / volume setting in SE mode as well.

May 9, 2024 at 12:43 AM Post #2,013 of 2,024
Thanks for the replies y’all. I sat down with the amp earlier and investigated and here’s what I’ve figured out:
  • Unplugging the source or changing the input to one that isn’t in use has no effect on the static noise I’m hearing
  • It’s only audible on medium/high gain. On medium it’s very quiet but still apparent at normal listening volume. At 3:00 it starts to get louder. On high it’s extremely apparent at any volume.
  • Adjusting the volume past 3:00 on medium/high gain makes a “sizzling” sound in the headphones. Almost like I’m hearing the relays clicking in the audio. It’s hard to explain but extremely noticeable on some headphones and not as noticeable on others…
From what everyone is saying it sounds like there might be an issue with my unit. Should I contact Schiit? For reference like I mentioned earlier I first heard it with my 660s but I also tried it with my Argons which are allegedly harder to drive and it was still very noticeable with those as well - even on the balanced output…

May 9, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #2,015 of 2,024
It sounds like the amp need checking, thats to bad, fortunately Schiit have very good customer service. Have you tried another wall socket on a different line?
Took it to a completely different room of the house, plugged it in with no input and still hear background noise :frowning2:

Looks like I'll be emailing schiit support. Real shame since I love everything else about this amp.

May 9, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #2,016 of 2,024
I blew an op-amp in my out of warranty unit and they replaced it for like 43 bucks. Minus 200 bucks shipping in both directions LOL

May 9, 2024 at 7:54 PM Post #2,018 of 2,024
Minus 200 bucks shipping in both directions LOL
What! No way… 🤣

(At the very least, items under warranty should only require shipping to be covered on the way back to Schiit for service, I believe!)

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 10:56 PM Post #2,019 of 2,024
What! No way… 🤣

(At the very least, items under warranty should only require shipping to be covered on the way back to Schiit for service, I believe!)
Mine wasn't under warranty. I had to pay to ship it to them on my own, and they charged me for shipping on the way back. I mean, it is what it is.

May 9, 2024 at 11:27 PM Post #2,020 of 2,024
Took it to a completely different room of the house, plugged it in with no input and still hear background noise :frowning2:

Looks like I'll be emailing schiit support. Real shame since I love everything else about this amp.
For what it’s worth, I just tried my Rag 2 with some IEMs and there is an audible background hiss, but I think we’ve been warned about that!

May 11, 2024 at 7:35 AM Post #2,021 of 2,024
For what it’s worth, I just tried my Rag 2 with some IEMs and there is an audible background hiss, but I think we’ve been warned about that!
Update: I do hear some sizzle in high gain with my Atriums through the SE port, independent of volume.

I think I might also hear the *faintest* bit of background noise in medium gain, but my tinnitus beats it out for attention. I’m planning to get a balanced cable for my ZMFs, so will report back once that arrives.

I don’t think I heard anything earlier because my house is rarely quiet enough (which makes me wonder what I was thinking with the open-backs)! 😅

May 12, 2024 at 12:37 AM Post #2,022 of 2,024
Update: I do hear some sizzle in high gain with my Atriums through the SE port, independent of volume.

I think I might also hear the *faintest* bit of background noise in medium gain, but my tinnitus beats it out for attention. I’m planning to get a balanced cable for my ZMFs, so will report back once that arrives.

I don’t think I heard anything earlier because my house is rarely quiet enough (which makes me wonder what I was thinking with the open-backs)! 😅
Thanks for taking the time to check! I understand this thing's primarily a speaker amp and maybe the fact that the headphone out is just the speaker power resisted down causes some noise? I plan on using it with speakers but I use headphones probably 70% of the time so I was hoping it would be great for them. Am I just being too picky about the slight background noise? This is the most I've spent on a source so far so I was hoping it wouldn't have anything wrong with it...

May 12, 2024 at 9:00 AM Post #2,023 of 2,024
Thanks for taking the time to check! I understand this thing's primarily a speaker amp and maybe the fact that the headphone out is just the speaker power resisted down causes some noise? I plan on using it with speakers but I use headphones probably 70% of the time so I was hoping it would be great for them. Am I just being too picky about the slight background noise? This is the most I've spent on a source so far so I was hoping it wouldn't have anything wrong with it...
If I could easily hear it (like I can on high gain) I would definitely be bothered. I’m not 100% convinced I can actually hear anything on medium gain by toggling the mute on and off, but my tinnitus sometimes comes and goes by the hour. 😂

Since yours seems to be very pronounced I’d still suspect there is an actual issue worth contacting Schiit about. Knowing how obsessive the head-fi crowd is, if this were a design spec I’m sure we’d be hearing more about it!

Update: balanced out does not seem to make a difference here. Coincidentally, I hear the sizzle in high gain mostly on the right channel, which is the same channel that produces an audible pop/click through headphones when switching gain levels. Not sure if that’s expected, or a bad sign… 🤔

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 10:21 PM Post #2,024 of 2,024
I had one for 15 days, I don't remember noise using headphones. I feel like Schiit actually thinks of it as a headphone amp that can power speakers. If you're looking for a monster headphone amp with speaker capability I say return it and see if they can identify the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back