Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jun 2, 2024 at 7:11 PM Post #7,891 of 7,898
As Raal 1995 headphones loom, here's my homage to the original, still the KING for my tastes and music and ohh the non-negotiable 'phones not touching my face.

JCAT USB card->Gustard X26Pro DAC->Jotunheim R->Raal SR1a
Pure silver balanced interconnects and Wywires Platinum headphone cables do help.

0602241357_HDR_1717362288525.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #7,892 of 7,898
As Raal 1995 headphones loom, here's my homage to the original, still the KING for my tastes and music and ohh the unnegotiable 'phones not touching my face.

JCAT USB card->Gustard X26Pro DAC->Jotunheim R->Raal SR1a
Pure silver balanced interconnects and Wywires Platinum headphone cables do help.

0602241357_HDR_1717362288525.jpg
I agree completely. The nearfield ear monitor configuration allows the soundstage to be uniquely large and speaker-like, even approximating the illusion of a live musical event in a performing space, while avoiding what I call closed cup compressive bass. It would take a lot to top these.

Jun 2, 2024 at 10:57 PM Post #7,893 of 7,898
the sr1a will always be the unicorn in the stable of Raal headphones because of its unique presentation....

Jun 3, 2024 at 11:37 PM Post #7,894 of 7,898
Gain / Freq / Q / Type / (comment)
.. dB / Hz
+5.5 / 130 / 0.8 / Shelf / (adjust bass gain to taste)
.. n.a. / 25 / 1.8 / High Pass / (High Q boost the lows SR1a is capable, removes below)
-2.0 / 2.1k / 1.5 / Peak / (vocal presence)
-1.0 / 6.3k / 3.5 / Peak / (harshness)
-2.5 / 9.1k / 5.0 / Peak / (Sibilants)

Geez man how on earth did i miss this post.
Thanks so much for sharing this EQ! I plugged it into Roon and gave it an appropriate -5.5dB preamp gain.
Lovely EQ parameters man… nicely done! Using it with SR1b and VM1a and its *chef’s kiss*!!

Patiently waiting for the Immanis… vm1a and SR1b is still phenomenal in my books!

Jun 10, 2024 at 10:45 PM Post #7,896 of 7,898
Anybody know if the Burson Audio Voyager powering the sr1a via the TI-1b interface box is a good combo? I’m debating on keeping my voyager or selling it for something better to drive the vr1a. Thanks for any input.
On paper, with 10W into 16 ohms XLR, I think you should have enough power with the new TI1a/b interfaces. However, not all amps that spec out actually work well with the Sr1a in particular. I have not heard that amplifier so cannot weigh in except to say it should? My suggestion would be to keep it long enough to try, and/or perhaps @Aleksandar R. could weigh in with a more technical answer. It is much safer to say it would work well with the new Raal 1995 headphones, but the Sr1a is more demanding.

Jun 10, 2024 at 10:46 PM Post #7,897 of 7,898
10 watts should be fine, whether it is a good fit I dont know

Jun 11, 2024 at 1:06 AM Post #7,898 of 7,898
Anybody know if the Burson Audio Voyager powering the sr1a via the TI-1b interface box is a good combo? I’m debating on keeping my voyager or selling it for something better to drive the vr1a. Thanks for any input.
Thanks very much for the question; I visited the Burson site to look at the full specs and was distracted by an attractive young lady. So thank you again. 🤭 As others have already said it “should” work ok, but I’ve got no experience with Burson Amps and I don’t recall seeing many in use with the SR-1a on these forums. I will say, over on the CA-1a thread there was a user who had one of the Topping amps which supposedly put out 17 watts ‘on paper’ but it failed miserably and kept shutting down with various ‘imminent nuclear meltdown’ messages etc. Actually the message he got was something to do with DC and it was being triggered by the CA-1a needing to pull more current than the amp could sustain. The point being that stating an amp is 10 watts Is one thing, stating under what load conditions this is achieved is also necessary. The SR-1a and CA-1a both need current to achieve dynamic performance, particularly in the bass region, and quite a few amplifiers have failed at this when ‘on paper’ they should have been ok. It does state on the web-site that the output stage does have a high current output but I was too distracted by the young lady to continue reading. Why not pm Alex and ask him directly; he’s usually around and always willing to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back