Prog rock
May 12, 2024 at 2:29 AM Post #4,471 of 4,480
As recommended by @MatW I've started going through the ProgPower Europe festival listings for bands I've not heard of and I'm really impressed with Swedish band, Darkwater and their most recent album, on Qobuz at least, Human (2019). Most of the bands I've given a listen have harsh vocals and that's something I can't stand, thankfully the vocalist here is excellent and really knows how to sing. Music is of the Symphony X, Dream Theater, Evergrey variety - definitely worth a listen. :darthsmile:

human.jpg

May 12, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #4,472 of 4,480
As recommended by @MatW I've started going through the ProgPower Europe festival listings for bands I've not heard of and I'm really impressed with Swedish band, Darkwater and their most recent album, on Qobuz at least, Human (2019). Most of the bands I've given a listen have harsh vocals and that's something I can't stand, thankfully the vocalist here is excellent and really knows how to sing. Music is of the Symphony X, Dream Theater, Evergrey variety - definitely worth a listen. :darthsmile:

Harsh vocals are an acquired taste I guess. When done right they give me goose bumps.

Two examples that I really love:

Please note their clean vocals prowess as well!

To compensate for these, here is a PPE alumn from my country, with lovely female vocals (although the English pronunciation may be off here and there):

1715554024539.png

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 8:13 PM Post #4,473 of 4,480
Harsh vocals are an acquired taste I guess. When done right they give me goose bumps.

Two examples that I really love:

Please note their clean vocals prowess as well!

To compensate for these, here is a PPE alumn from my country, with lovely female vocals (although the English pronunciation may be off here and there):

1715554024539.png

It might be an age thing, I'm 66 so my love of music grew in a time before harsh vocals existed, Black Sabbath and Judas Priest were the heavy metal gods of the time, so when harsh vocals came along I just didn't get it, it wasn't musical to my ears. I was just listening to the first Darkwater album and it has a fair amount of harsh vocals but they are almost gone by their second album and just used for occasional background effects - which I can handle. I guess the tl;dr is that I never got into death metal, possibly due to the first time I ever heard it: Napalm Death on the Friday Rock Show on Radio 1 back in the '80's - it was so bad I couldn't stop laughing and I just never got past that.

May 12, 2024 at 8:26 PM Post #4,474 of 4,480
It might be an age thing, I'm 66 so my love of music grew in a time before harsh vocals existed, Black Sabbath and Judas Priest were the heavy metal gods of the time, so when harsh vocals came along I just didn't get it, it wasn't musical to my ears. I was just listening to the first Darkwater album and it has a fair amount of harsh vocals but they are almost gone by their second album and just used for occasional background effects - which I can handle. I guess the tl;dr is that I never got into death metal, possibly due to the first time I ever heard it: Napalm Death on the Friday Rock Show on Radio 1 back in the '80's - it was so bad I couldn't stop laughing and I just never got past that.
Yes I guess you’re beyond salvation. 😊 And that’s fine. It just puts some awesome music beyond your reach but there is plenty to enjoy still.

May 12, 2024 at 8:51 PM Post #4,475 of 4,480
Yes I guess you’re beyond salvation. 😊 And that’s fine. It just puts some awesome music beyond your reach but there is plenty to enjoy still.
I totally agree with you, a lot of the music is fantastic but I just can't take death growls seriously no matter how hard I try. Probably the most extreme vocals I can listen to and enjoy is MuDvAyNe but that's about it, I can't even enjoy early Opeth and I really want to.
Giving that Necrologies album a listen now - Now that I really like :darthsmile:

May 13, 2024 at 2:08 AM Post #4,476 of 4,480
Once I'd given it a couple of listens I let Necrologies seed roon radio and after a while it came up with TheNightTimeProject and their album Pale Season (2019). They've been around since 2015 and were formed by former members of Katatonia. There's actually a little bit of harsh vocals in one of the songs and I didn't hit fast forward - I am trying :darthsmile:

paleseason.jpg

May 14, 2024 at 6:21 PM Post #4,479 of 4,480
New Bernth!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back