[ POLL ] [ Final Thread, I Promise ] - Which of the following stacks would you say is the most reliable, the most well-manufactured, and therefore worth its own price? (Prices are in landed $CAD)

The most "Worth-It" amp/DAC stack, in terms of reliability and manufacturing quality, against cost?

• SMSL HO200 / DO200 ($1000)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Topping L70 / E70 Velvet ($1130)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Apr 28, 2024 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

TyTB

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I promise this is my final post.

You have all been very kind, and I don't want to take advantage of the community by spamming threads (more than I already have).

With the community's help, I have narrowed a choice of amp and DAC stacks to a few brands, For use with Sennheiser HD800s, and a -15db Preamp EQ, on a PC Audio Setup.

My requirements changed a lot over the last few weeks as I learned new things, and dispelled my old misconceptions.

My priorities, in order:
  1. Reliability / Lifespan
  2. Transparency, detail retrieval, and, ideally, large sound-staging.
  3. Enough power to run the HD800s, with a -15 dB Preamp EQ, at peak levels of 115 dB.
  4. Clean, simple, boxy aesthetics, in black
My requirements:
  • The product line must have matching stackable power amps, or work visually with power amps of other brands
  • Must have a pre-amp switch on the headphone amp so I can disable speaker output when using headphones, and vice-versa
  • A target price point in Canadian dollars of around $1200 CAD or less, landed at my door.
Please do not question the pricing listed beside each poll option, I know they are different from what you'll find online. These are landed prices in Canadian dollars, factoring in some strange shipping methods and a potential duty-free trip to the US.

I am not concerned about the sonic differences between the stacks, as I do not think I will be able to hear the reported subtle differences in tonality and frequency response.

Please do not suggest the RME Adi-2. It is great, but at $2005 CAD landed, is too expensive.

Once again, thank you to everyone who stuck with me. You have all taught me a great deal, and I appreciate you taking the time to explain things to my indecisive self.

My profile picture is an apt representation of myself IRL.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 8:22 PM Post #2 of 5
I own the SMSL DO200 mk2 + HO200 stack and would happily recommend it, but honestly I feel like the new DO400 all-in-one is the better value at this point. It's an updated DO200 DAC plus integrated HO200 power, at ~2/3 the cost of separate components.

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 5
I've got four SMSL DO400's and they're really worth it. More power than you'll need, perfect channel matching, and doesn't run hot or even warm. The C200 is even less and will easily drive the HD800s (see profile photo). I just flashed all four with the new firmware and it went smoothly. They hit the mark on the DO400, really nice all in one.

Apr 28, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #4 of 5
The C200 is even less and will easily drive the HD800s
The C200 is on deep discount at amazon.ca right now (@TyTB I think you mentioned you're in Canada too)

Apr 29, 2024 at 12:48 AM Post #5 of 5
Interesting that you both recommend the SMSL products. I take it you feel their reliability and build quality is at least on-par with JDS and Schiit? Or do you just feel that they're cheap enough that it doesn't really matter if they die sooner?

If you HAD to reallocate your vote from the SMSL products to one of the other options, which would you support? The JDS Element III, or the Schiit stack?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back