Orthodynamic Roundup
May 24, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #27,166 of 27,180
Interesting that you've also got modded he500 and rp18 :wink:
But these days I'm much more into my e-stats, RR1 and SR-Lambda (normal bias).
It's the obvious next step, glad to see you're making the move, you won't regret it.
We have similar tastes … or do we?

Ive yet to understand how e-stats outperform in every metric. However, my rig may be bottleneck, and Ive only heard limited examples of each driver technology.

By my very limited experience, I think e-stats have less quality* bass. I prioritize bass over many other sonic qualities while you might appreciate other qualities more.

*By quality I mean quantity, distortion, transients, is my guess.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #27,167 of 27,180
We have similar tastes … or do we?

Ive yet to understand how e-stats outperform in every metric. However, my rig may be bottleneck, and Ive only heard limited examples of each driver technology.

By my very limited experience, I think e-stats have less quality* bass. I prioritize bass over many other sonic qualities while you might appreciate other qualities more.

*By quality I mean quantity, distortion, transients, is my guess.
Generally bass has always been one of the most important factors for my headphone listening.
E-stats do generally need a 'leg up', but proper amping and a little tone correction goes a very long way.
Proper Stax amps are measurably bassier than the speaker amp adapters/energizers.

May 24, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #27,168 of 27,180
Generally bass has always been one of the most important factors for my headphone listening.
E-stats do generally need a 'leg up', but proper amping and a little tone correction goes a very long way.
Proper Stax amps are measurably bassier than the speaker amp adapters/energizers.
Ive seen measurements of SRD-7 that demonstrate overall higher distortion and causing increased highs around 6-10kHz. The distortion can be somewhat improved by replacing worn out capacitators and other parts while the increased highs has been synergistic ime.

Anyways, we do share a lot of opinions like love for HE-500 and RP-18 so I trust that your experience with proper Stax amps will ring true for me as well. Ive been planning to get one to try but has been low priority is all. Just need to sell stuff for more funds like my SS-100 <- click for listing.

May 25, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #27,169 of 27,180
Peerless PMB 100

IMG_3457.jpeg
IMG_3459.jpegIMG_3464.jpegIMG_3468.jpegIMG_3469.jpegIMG_3470.jpegIMG_3471.jpeg
IMG_3473.jpeg

For more info see @GREQ:

I dont plan to mod these though installing some full-sized pads would be interesting. No, I think these are more interesting as a historical artifact. They do sound better than expected. Bass extension is reduced but get more open sound in return. The sound I imagine is very fit dependent … The drivers rest on my ears supraaurally.

Detachable cables?!

WOW...so cool!
That Sansui, too!

Cheers!

May 27, 2024 at 8:08 AM Post #27,170 of 27,180
Peerless PMB 100

IMG_3457.jpeg
IMG_3459.jpegIMG_3464.jpegIMG_3468.jpegIMG_3469.jpegIMG_3470.jpegIMG_3471.jpeg
IMG_3473.jpeg

For more info see @GREQ:

I dont plan to mod these though installing some full-sized pads would be interesting. No, I think these are more interesting as a historical artifact. They do sound better than expected. Bass extension is reduced but get more open sound in return. The sound I imagine is very fit dependent … The drivers rest on my ears supraaurally.

Detachable cables?!

Oh wow, I've never seen one with a box!

May 27, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #27,171 of 27,180
Oh wow, I've never seen one with a box!
Same. I barely see them at all let alone with a box. The seller guessed market value too low ($50 + shipping, BIN) and in the eBay description said “earpads are missing and will be about $50 to replace”.

IMG_3458.jpeg

Which reminds me, years ago I sold my CD music collection for very cheap to a local record store. Even though I backed it all up on hard drives and enjoyed supporting my local business, I partly regret selling as I enjoyed the art work and distinct memories they would provoke when picking up off the shelf. Road trips on the west coast always involved stopping at record stores, like Amoeba - Hollywood.

Last edited:
May 30, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #27,172 of 27,180
PMB 100

The foam pads from Grado are too thick and causes discomfort because stock “pads” no longer rest against face to relieve pressure from ears. Sounds pretty good though and hope that after am done padrolling can compare to Grado SR325x and Yamaha YHD-1.

So Im trying to make some pads from thin closed-cell foam that will improve seal and comfort against ears, and seal the baffle vents hopefully increasing bass extension. My first attempt using 2mm foam is too thin (see photo), but from memory an improvement. I have some 6mm that Ill try next.
IMG_3513.jpeg

Grado F-pads actually sound quite good (like a Yamaha YH-2 but more open) but the comfort is awful. I think what foam material I need is something similarly thick but super compliant (squishy), but Ill try materials I have on hand first.

Last edited:
May 30, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #27,173 of 27,180
I ended up accepting the design as is on those PMB 100. I did mess around with them a bit with trying pads and such but ended up leaving them as Jorg had designed them. I've got smaller ears so they just snuck inside so comfort was quite good for a Headspeaker / crash helmet. I ended up with a small rattle that drove me crazy and I put them into storage. I always quite liked them for being weird and for acoustical things with the natural cross talk and all seemed to work. Good find.

May 30, 2024 at 7:01 PM Post #27,174 of 27,180
I think e-stats have less quality* bass. I prioritize bass over many other sonic qualities while you might appreciate other qualities more.
As a group estats have the least mass to move - which means superb transients, and performance above ~350 Hz, also means they move the least air - hence less bass impact. I did find the DCA Voce to have enough bass quality to satisfy me - with a big estat amp - so not cheap.

planars move more air and respond to signals nearly as fast as estats (why they usually have good bass timbre/speed) but not the entire driver surface is driven, so they stop more slowly than estats - and not always in phase - if its 35 db or more under the signal, it's basically inaudible, but while I favor planars at my budget level, its not as neat and reactive as estats or ribbons

dynamics - esp closed backs designed to have more bass than the signal at 1k - say Fostex TH-900 Mk II (+8 db over under 300 Hz) have more bass, also don't stop on a dime - although with enough magnet power they can beat planars - so that long thick thing bassheads like is there, and in closed backs - reverberations, reflections, and cancellations.

ribbons are the only drivers that are driven evenly across the whole surface, they like estats have been great in treble use (like speaker tweeters) and it appears that Rall may have found a way to play bass the best in terms of speed and heft - see Immanis - not heard myself

AMT - both the HEDD 1 and 2 Seem to have a good amount of bass, and the technology is promising - very - but - I think more development is needed to be sure where they fit.

May 30, 2024 at 8:32 PM Post #27,175 of 27,180
I ended up accepting the design as is on those PMB 100. I did mess around with them a bit with trying pads and such but ended up leaving them as Jorg had designed them. I've got smaller ears so they just snuck inside so comfort was quite good for a Headspeaker / crash helmet. I ended up with a small rattle that drove me crazy and I put them into storage. I always quite liked them for being weird and for acoustical things with the natural cross talk and all seemed to work. Good find.
PMB 100 is deceptively comfortable for a helmetspeaker. I suspect that the original foam covers that have disintegrated over time (can see original look on box cover) may have been integral to the intended sound and comfort. Just the 2mm foam I applied improved comfort and bass quantity seemingly. I know the stock foams weren’t closed-cell because they covered drivers, but I imagine it helped provide some increased coupling of baffle and ears which couldve been a real difference maker however small.

I compared the PMB 100 to a “Yamaha YH-2 but more open”. I like YH-2 so am thinking I am lucky to have PMB 100.

I decided to try Yamaha YHD-1 again because its kindve similar enclosure to PMB 100: which is very open with supra foam pads. in transit

Past attempts:
My old YHD-1 post with some mehsures.
My old YHD-30i post with some mehsures.

fyi, I sold Sansui SS-100 to @Kabeer . Enjoy! I mostly use Grado from iPhone dongle these days because lazy so cant be bothered to mod another T50 sibling when I barely use my great RP18.

May 30, 2024 at 8:49 PM Post #27,176 of 27,180
planars move more air and respond to signals nearly as fast as estats (why they usually have good bass timbre/speed) but not the entire driver surface is driven, so they stop more slowly than estats
This is why I find Moondrop Para’s self-description interesting. However, from other’s impressions I get the impression they are bass-lite. I wonder why.

IMG_3523.jpeg

dynamics - esp closed backs designed to have more bass than the signal at 1k - say Fostex TH-900 Mk II (+8 db over under 300 Hz) have more bass, also don't stop on a dime - although with enough magnet power they can beat planars - so that long thick thing bassheads like is there, and in closed backs - reverberations, reflections, and cancellations.
I want a TH900 now.

ribbons are the only drivers that are driven evenly across the whole surface, they like estats have been great in treble use (like speaker tweeters) and it appears that Rall may have found a way to play bass the best in terms of speed and heft - see Immanis - not heard myself
Immanis looks next-level but way out of my budget. Ill wait until they’re vintage. :)

AMT - both the HEDD 1 and 2 Seem to have a good amount of bass, and the technology is promising - very - but - I think more development is needed to be sure where they fit.
Some claim Monoprice AMT uses the same driver or is produced in same place, unverified. Anyways, Monoprice AMT is what I imagine Hedd would sound like if it had a leaky baffle / pads. Monoprice AMT is like the inverse frequency response of Hedd. I like it but way heavy.

IMG_3524.jpeg

^ minidsp ears

May 30, 2024 at 9:01 PM Post #27,177 of 27,180
This is why I find Moondrop Para’s self-description interesting. However, from other’s impressions I get the impression they are bass-lite. I wonder why.
Lots of planars don't have strong bass - its about the design/materials. Fostex FH500RP has weak bass. I should have qualified it better. Let's go with the HFM HE-6 SE, LCD-3, LCD-4, and DCA E2
I want a TH900 now.
My buddy has the 909 but I haven't heard it yet. I dislike the 900 a great deal - over loaded bass, reticent mids, and wanky treble. Very V shaped "fun" signature and I don't do fun.
Immanis looks next-level but way out of my budget. Ill wait until they’re vintage.
I've been a huge ribbon guy for over 40 years (tweeters and Apogee/Magnepan R speakers) - I like the two earlier Ralls, the two new ones seem like a huge step up.
:)

Some claim Monoprice AMT uses the same driver or is produced in same place, unverified. Anyways, Monoprice AMT is what I imagine Hedd would sound like if it had a leaky baffle / pads. Monoprice AMT is like the inverse frequency response of Hedd. I like it but way heavy.
I think the Monoprice is almost unlistenable - maybe with heavy PEQ it could be good. From what I see its not the same driver, its not just a tuning issue.

May 31, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #27,179 of 27,180
I have 900mk2, and they provide lots of fun. But I have plans on getting JM XTC 2.5 closed.
It seems they could be a gem in everything TH900mk2 has, but even better because you can tune them to your preferences.

If you haven't already, perhaps it could be interesting to see those.

Cheers!
You mod them to your preferences? or JM mods them for you based on what?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back