New Dali iO-12 ANC Headphones – Impressions Thread
May 13, 2024 at 7:18 AM Post #1,126 of 1,130
Let me report on the experience of using io12 after changing the earpads in the past few weeks:

1) The earpads of io6 are very comfortable, but the back can't completely wrap the headphone cavity. The sound leaks, and the person sitting next to me will hear the sound of my headphones. This provides some "open back"-like hearing, but at the same time, the noise reduction ability is reduced. Moreover, the amount of low frequency has been reduced. This is in line with my expectations. I bought io6 earmuffs to weaken some low-frequency overtones of io12.

2) For long-term use, io6 earmuffs oppress the ears, which is not as comfortable as io12 earmuffs. But it is more convenient to carry after io6 earmuffs. I easily put the headphones into a Small cowhide bag and carry them with me.

3) Finally, I changed back to the original io12 earmuffs. I carefully judge my own use, which is more used indoors for a long time, or when walking outdoors. The more comfortable and Better sound insulation io12 earmuffs are more in line with my use. I adjust the low-frequency problem through eq.

Again, my preference for low frequency is different from everyone. Many people do not think that there are too many low frequency overtones of io12. Most people like the low frequency of io12 very much.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #1,127 of 1,130
In the interim, you need to literally get Creative as in something like this to get the preferred AptX Adaptive (automatic selection of AptX, AptX HD AptX LL) which Samsung just refuses to offer...
Firstly, to avoid false expectations, aptX Adaptive doesn't do automatic selection as you described above. Here's excerpt from Creative BT-W5 product page:
When connected, the codec allows you to prioritize between a selection of dynamic bit-rate (High Quality) or dynamic latency (Low Latency) adaptation based on your needs. aptX Adaptive (High Quality) is selected by default. The selection is accessible within the Creative app.
But don't be too excited about LL - many headphones around struggle to work in that mode (incl. IO-12).

Secondly, SSC is technically very similar to what aptX Adaptive (and LC3) does, i.e. it utilizes dynamic bitrate and supports game mode (aka LL). And in fact, both are proprietary, but I do agree that SSC is much more closed (intentionally?). See Understanding Bluetooth Codecs by SoundGuys in case of brief interest.

May 14, 2024 at 5:22 AM Post #1,128 of 1,130
After spending a few days with my new Dalli io-12, I must say I’m in love :) Sitting with my Tidal track selection, I’m rediscovering every detail in the music I thought I knew already. I’ve found that using the bit-perfect output from my Samsung S23 Ultra via USB-C directly to Dali’s DAC provides the best sound clarity and detail. However, I have two questions:

1) I noticed that the volume buttons only work in BT mode. They don't seem to function when I use the USB-C cable. Am I missing a setting on the phone that can enable it, or it is normal?

2) Can anybody check the bitrates and the (bit/kHz) received by the headphones in BT mode when AptX Adaptive is used?
The thing is there are three revisions of AptX Adaptive (2.0, 2.1, and 2.2)

The first one, r2.0 introduced with the Snapdragon 855, was limited to 24-bit bit depth 48khz sampling rate and have a variable bitrate between 279 - 420 kbit/s
The second revision, r2.1 introduced with Snapdragon 888, increase the bitrate limits to 860 kbit/s with 96khz sampling rate
The third revision, r2.2, - includes AptX Loosless and reaches bitrate 1.2 Mbit/s

when I asked local dealer the answer was not 100%:

---
"Version 2.0 of AptX, the basic version, is not included, but since this is managed by a licensing element incorporated into the headphones, it is unclear whether it is version 2.1 or 2.2.
AptX Lossless itself is not available on the iO12 due to the use of Texas Instruments chips, as currently only Snapdragon chips offer this feature."
---

Since AptX Lossless isn't supported by Dali (according to sources), I assume it uses revision 2.1 (860 kbit/s with 96kHz), which would be a much better option than AptX HD (576 kbps 24-bit/48kHz). However, I can't determine what the Dali receives from the source when using BT AptX Adaptive. AptX Adaptive seems somewhat confusing, as it encompasses various options—some worse than AptX HD and others much better—under the same codec name.

Thanks

May 14, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #1,129 of 1,130
Almost by accident last night I find this iO-12 Amazon.com comment/review (verified purchase) from 27th March 2024:

"There’s not much that I can say that hasn’t already been said about these headphones. I’d like to call myself an audiophile as I have many plug-in, audiophile headphones including the Sennheiser Hd820, Audeze LCD-X, Hifiman 560 etc., but I find myself on the go a lot lately so I started to purchase Bluetooth headphones to get rid of the wire outdoors.

I started with the Apple AirPod Max which, at the time I thought was groundbreaking for its level of ANC, Spatial Audio and ambient sound and overall quality of sound until I purchased the Master & Dynamics MW 75, which were much better in sound quality to me. Then I bought the Focal Bathys after all the rave reviews and was not disappointed. I decided to add the Mark Levinson‘s 5909 and at this point didn’t think anything could top my collection.

Boy, was I wrong. The Dali IO12 are absolutely perfection. They have the bass and the soundstage of the Focals and the stunning mid range of the Mark Levinson 5909. But somehow manage to put it all together in a way which is hard to explain unless you hear it. I’ve learned from history, not to say you simply can’t get any better. But, after listening to these headphones, for me, there’s no longer a need to get any better. This headphone is simply flawless. I don’t care that the ANC is not as good as the Apple’s or that the styling is not as unique as the Focal’s. I focus mainly on sound quality.

The lines are no longer blurred between corded, headphones and audiophile quality, it is completely shattered by these headphones.. I use.Qobuz for the higher resolution tracks on the go and I’m simply blown away by the quality. If you are disappointed in anyway by these headphones, it’s you, not the headphones. The price is high, but for audiophiles this is actually not that high, considering you can buy the Sennheiser HE-1 for $50,000. Trust me, if this is within your budget, get it. You will not be disappointed."

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #1,130 of 1,130
Thanks Angelom. I've been trying to talk myself out of picking up the Solitaire T again. Seeing new reviews reminding me how great my Dali iO-12 is helps LOL.

Now a little more serious reply from my reply of 2 days ago.

First, I don't know that you don't have your Solitaire T (ST) anymore!

Second, maybe you don't following this thread always, but if you go back in this thread, you will seeing that I purchasing the ST again in February 2024 (after selling my original one year old pair in November 2023). But in my mind I think I still missing some of the sonic qualities of the ST after 3 months with the iO-12.

So, after knowing very well that I will losing money if I buying again and possibly returning the ST, I still needing being not only 100% but 120% sure about my decision about keeping the Dalis or not. So, after buying a new pair of ST again, I testing and comparing more than 300 tracks and my results are little more accurate than my direct tests/comparisons in November of last year.

Result: I decide keeping the iO-12 again, BUT I must saying that, if we are only speaking about sound quality, my results (after more than 300 tracks) is that this is practically a tie (can't remember the exact percentages for both headphones, but I posting this results here some months ago). I already explaining why I still deciding keeping the iO-12 (same reasons, actually, as in Nov 2023, but with double testing and with very more tracks this time). BUT, equally, even when I think this really is a tie, both headphones have a different tonal balance and presentation (I also explaining this some months ago in this thread).

But even after all the above commutes, is very possible that you will still having curiosity about the ST, specially after the comments by some recent ST owners.

After saying all of this, I must adding this: After 1.5 years of the release of the ST, is very 'surprising' (not really!) that some prominent reviewers (that even posting in head-fi) don't speaking about this excellent headphone. And, a similar comment about the iO-12 after 6 months of releasing.

This reviewer has gripes, but the wrong gripes in my opinion…

https://musictech.com/reviews/consumer/dali-io-12-audiophile-headphones-review/

AptX adaptive and lossless are inaudible to human hearing…so that’s not a con. Plus this reviewer also says they aren’t portable. That’s not necessarily true. But oddly enough they list the battery as a pro? The battery at 35 hours (for the price of these) is a con, especially when you have the momentum sitting at 60 hours, the Shure aonic gen 2 at 45 hours, the Marshall at 100 hours and the soon to come noble audio Apollo at 80.

I seeing this 'review' 4-5 days ago but I deciding not posting a link here because I think is really mediocre, and not because he/she liking or not the iO-12, but because is even more mediocre in several aspects than average online 'reviews'. I already expressing more than one time here my opinion of vast majority of apparent reviews so is no need repeating what I saying several times already.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back