Need help deciding on a Headroom Amp
Sep 4, 2007 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

illkemist

100+ Head-Fier
Hi folks. I just started posting in the forums today. I posted in another forum and probably should have started here.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=258670

Edited: After some careful consideration and research, I've decided to upgrade to a Headroom Desktop amp. The only problem I'm having right now is deciding on modules. At this point, I really cannot spend over $1K on the amp so it narrows my options a bit. I've decided to use my current DAC until upgrading it becomes more cost effective.

From everything that I've read, any upgrade to the modules requires stepping up to the external PS. So what does that leave me? It seems as though the only option is the base Desktop amp.

Sep 6, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 6
Hello,

There are few options available here... The HeadRoom Desktop Amp in conjunction with the Astrodyne Power Supply will work quite nicely for all configurations except the Max DAC option, which remains a very 'power-hungry' D-A stage and needs the upscale Desktop Power Supply (DPS) to show the listener its full sonic potential -- In fact, the Max DAC sounds slightly 'off' to me in the Desktop Amp w/o the DPS
blink.gif

The linear-regulated AC power supply (wall wart) we provide with the Desktop Amp will be just dandy for properly powering all the electronics modules, including the Max module... Keep in mind it is the DAC that demands the serious juice, so a Desktop Amp without a DAC can effectively use the provided wall-wart with absolutely no worries!

Hope this helps a bit!
tongue.gif

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales & Product Manager

Sep 7, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by JorgeC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,

There are few options available here... The HeadRoom Desktop Amp in conjunction with the Astrodyne Power Supply will work quite nicely for all configurations except the Max DAC option, which remains a very 'power-hungry' D-A stage and needs the upscale Desktop Power Supply (DPS) to show the listener its full sonic potential -- In fact, the Max DAC sounds slightly 'off' to me in the Desktop Amp w/o the DPS
blink.gif

The linear-regulated AC power supply (wall wart) we provide with the Desktop Amp will be just dandy for properly powering all the electronics modules, including the Max module... Keep in mind it is the DAC that demands the serious juice, so a Desktop Amp without a DAC can effectively use the provided wall-wart with absolutely no worries!

Hope this helps a bit!
tongue.gif

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales & Product Manager

That's not quite 100%...
wink.gif

The linear regulated supply (original 'brick') can barely supply enough power for Max Modules and no DAC. It would be running at very near its theoretical maximum current output.

The Astrodyne has a much higher theoretical output power than the DPS does - the advantage of the DPS is therefore not in current delivery, and doesn't relate to the need for more 'power'. It is in the quality of the power it does provide. The only supply that does not have enough output for some of the configurations is the original 'brick' PSU. Both the Astrodyne and the DPS supply easily enough for all combinations, the difference simply being in the absolute quality of that power which is of course superior with the DPS.

It's getting very confusing with the 3 different supplies. If you could manage it, eliminating the original 'brick' from the desktop line would simplify things - all module and DAC combinations would 'work' with what would then be the 'stock' Astrodyne (which hopefully you could get a better deal on by buying more), and the DPS could be clarified as a purely sonic upgrade. That would seem to be more user friendly...

Sep 7, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

The HeadRoom Desktop Amp in conjunction with the Astrodyne Power Supply will work quite nicely for all configurations except the Max DAC option, which remains a very 'power-hungry' D-A stage and needs the upscale Desktop Power Supply (DPS) to show the listener its full sonic potential -- In fact, the Max DAC sounds slightly 'off' to me in the Desktop Amp w/o the DPS
blink.gif

I think you might want to double check that with Joe W, based on my experience even the balanced MAX DAC module isn't very current thirsty (less than a half amp on the + rail, much less on the -). D-A stages are very sensitive to ripple though and as such you're 100% correct that the better the power supply the better the sound coming out of the DAC section.

Sep 7, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Hello,

blink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's not quite 100%...
wink.gif

The linear regulated supply (original 'brick') can barely supply enough power for Max Modules and no DAC. It would be running at very near its theoretical maximum current output.

The Astrodyne has a much higher theoretical output power than the DPS does - the advantage of the DPS is therefore not in current delivery, and doesn't relate to the need for more 'power'. It is in the quality of the power it does provide. The only supply that does not have enough output for some of the configurations is the original 'brick' PSU. Both the Astrodyne and the DPS supply easily enough for all combinations, the difference simply being in the absolute quality of that power which is of course superior with the DPS.

Thanks for the input! Right now, I've got a 2007 Ultra Micro Amp on pre-order. After looking at the setups and the equipment I have on my desk right now, this is a perfect fit for me. Currently, I have a computer, cd player and multimedia speakers on my desk. The mini inputs really might have been the difference.

At some point, I will have to entertain my options for an amp with my HT setup. Fortunately, I will not need a DAC for that rig. So I'll definitely want to get the MAX Desktop at that point. Judging from TheSloth's comments, it might be wise to at least purchase the Astrodyne PS. Thanks again for the input.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 7, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's getting very confusing with the 3 different supplies. If you could manage it, eliminating the original 'brick' from the desktop line would simplify things - all module and DAC combinations would 'work' with what would then be the 'stock' Astrodyne (which hopefully you could get a better deal on by buying more), and the DPS could be clarified as a purely sonic upgrade. That would seem to be more user friendly...

Thanks for your comments, Sloth. We do have some plans we're currently working on to make things a little simpler. We will be adding our "recommended" power supply on to all amp pages, so people understand the next most reasonable power supply upgrade.

More importantly, we will be simplifying some of our product options by offering our most popular amps pre-configured with optimal options/supplies/etc. This means that a few additional amps will be offered but drastically less options on those pages; quite similar to our new Micro Line. (We will still happily build more unique configurations through our custom shop.)
More info to come soon, and I will make a post as these changes roll out!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back