Max Balanced vs Home Balanced
Aug 29, 2007 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Dreadhead

500+ Head-Fier
Hello All,

I have been into high end audio for a while (some Linn and Paradigm stuff) and now I've decided I'll never be rich enough to afford a "benchmark" in the big systems (or be able to convince my wife for that matter) so I've decided to buy the best of the best in headphone amps. I am looking at the Home with all the MAX modules or the Max (everything except the Alps) and I'm wondering what the major difference between the two in terms of sound quality will be. I'm going to do the balanced HD650's because I don't like "warm" headphones, I'm a cold and clinical kind of guy. I have some e500's and they are amazing so I'm thinking of taking the big plunge for the ultimate. I'm planning on using lossless WMA as my files of choice and foobar 2000 (up sampled with SRC) on a old laptop that is pretty quiet (downloaded a fan controller to make it really quiet until it melts). I'll start with USB (unless there is ground loop) then probably go to something from Empirical (unless you feel it's useless)after a while. Help and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

Aug 30, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #3 of 14
Hello DreadHead,

Welcome to HeadFi ... "Sorry About Your Wallet!!" (traditional 1st post head-fi greeting!)

There are no sonic differences between the HeadRoom Home and HeadRoom Max amps utilizing the same internals (electronics modules and/or DACs) ... The price difference is solely in the costs of the different black aluminum anodized chassis materials.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Jorge C.
HR Sales/Product Manager

Aug 31, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreadhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to do the balanced HD650's because I don't like "warm" headphones, I'm a cold and clinical kind of guy.

I would not describe the combination of a balanced HD 650 and the HR amps you mention as cold and clinical.

Aug 31, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by JorgeC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are no sonic differences between the HeadRoom Home and HeadRoom Max amps utilizing the same internals (electronics modules and/or DACs) ... The price difference is solely in the costs of the different black aluminum anodized chassis materials.

Far be it for me to contradict Jorge but there are a few subtle differences between the Home and MAX line, specifically in the power supply. See the two images below and note the left hand side of the pcb.

Home Balanced

0000013100_1982.jpg

MAX Balanced
0000014100_1895.jpg

Now if you configured both with the MAX electronics and MAX DAC modules the power supply differences would remain, unless of course Headroom upgrades those along with the electronics in the Home Balanced. I'll leave that to Jorge to research.
smily_headphones1.gif
And while improvements to the power supply may or may not make any sonic difference I'd certainly argue it adds value. I'm a big proponent of power supply design and just though it was worth noting. Also, one other minor difference is in the fabrication of the main board PCB, the MAX amp will have the tasty gold coated 2oz. copper traces, again I'm not sure if you get the MAX main board with the Home Balanced amp.

Hopefully that helps and doesn't confuse.

Nate

Aug 31, 2007 at 8:30 AM Post #6 of 14
Hello Again,

Thank you all for the replies!

The Monkey:
I guess I put it wrong. What I meant is that I want the original music to shine through not a "warmer" upper range (any number of reviews). Hence "cold" and clinical but in the good sense. Newbie mistake
icon10.gif

I just started learning to play the viola as an adult and I don't want something that brightens those damn show stealing violins. I need to be able to hear how bad I am
eggosmile.gif

Everyone Else:
Thanks for your replies. I was thinking that the power supply was different. I was wondering if it made any difference to the sonic performance (Headphones aren't heavy loads so if the signal is as clean then I would think they would be the same). $900 is a big difference for a casing and I have read somewhere that Headroom keeps their margin identical through out the product line so I would think that there has got to be something expensive in there and I'd love to find out what it is. Hopefully Tyll will come by and clear up the confusion.

Thanks,
Chris

Aug 31, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

I was thinking that the power supply was different. I was wondering if it made any difference to the sonic performance (Headphones aren't heavy loads so if the signal is as clean then I would think they would be the same).

Chris,

As I said before I think that power supplies make a big difference. All an amplifier is doing is taking voltage and, well, amplifying it. The less ripple and the speed with which the power supply can respond to varying demand is of vital importance. The MAX modules draw a lot more power than the home so it seems to me that you'd want to couple those modules with the best power supply you can. Now, I'm sure the Home PS circuitry is no slouch, but the MAX appears to use higher spec parts.

I see three things that are definitely different between the picture Home and MAX amps above. In the max it looks like you're getting better rectifier diodes (the parts just to the right of the transformers), higher quality film caps (all those red box shaped things) and larger power supply reservoir caps (just to the right of the heatsinks).

FWIW I've heard the balanced Home with MAX modules in it, it sounded fantastic and while I wouldn't say it sounded cold it did have great detail and separation.

Aug 31, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #8 of 14
The Max power supply has Blackgate caps, and the circuit board has 2 0z. gold traces. So yeah, there's a difference, but it's one of those 0.2% differences that may add up with all the other things, but in the end I find it hard to justify the cost difference. OK, it's a sexy aluminum front panel, and you can put that sweet Alps pot in there (which is really nice when you're not a fan of stepped attenuators; I prefer pots).

The Max is a statement piece, and you're paying for that. For most folks a Max moduled and DACed Home is the way to go. We tend to try to downsell folks rather than up sell them. We get less gear back in returns that way, and people do feel the value (price/preformance) factor even if they have big wallets.

But, if you've got the dough and love to eyeball top-notch gear in your system, by all means, buy a Max. It's not a bad value at all; just up on the diminishing returns curve like all gear of its ilk.

Sep 2, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #11 of 14
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for the replies. I now have a hard decision to make. Bragging is fun
biggrin.gif
. Actually because Headroom has a packaged system with the MAX but none with the maxed out home the price difference improves a bit. It's still there of course but it is smaller.

What do you guys think?

Chris

Sep 2, 2007 at 11:40 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for the replies. I now have a hard decision to make. Bragging is fun
biggrin.gif
. Actually because Headroom has a packaged system with the MAX but none with the maxed out home the price difference improves a bit. It's still there of course but it is smaller.

What do you guys think?

Chris

I think if you talked with them, they would set up a package price for the maxed out home.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 3, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #13 of 14
I have a Maxed home amp and love it! I was running an external Benchmark Dac1 as well. At first the internal Max dac was no contest compared to the more detailed Dac 1.But as the internal Max Dac burned in it was harder and harder to hear the Dac 1 as "better,"it became just different. I sold the Dac1 and have ordered an M192 Northstar for the i2s possibilities with a computer and modded Olive instead of a CDP. I think anyone wanting a power house amp with a smooth sweet sounding Dac, the Home Max is wonderful.

Sep 6, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #14 of 14
Hello All,

Sorry been away river camping the past few days... nice!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nate is, of course, perfectly right and correctly sussed out the different PS topologies between the Home Amp and Max amp, the slightly better rectifier in the Max being perhaps the most salient point ... I guess my answer to Dreadhead should have more precisely stated there's little or no "audible" sonic differences (imho!) between the two. That said, Black Gate caps are certainly some of the best audio parts money can buy so the added value there indeed remains a consideration for the discriminating... Er, i'd likely be just a bit nervous if i had to pick which amp was which in a blind listening test!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales & Product Manager

Users who are viewing this thread

Back