Ibasso Discrete portable DAC with R2R D16
May 4, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #466 of 478
In my opinion and experiences, the D16 is priced too cheap for it performances.
I would agree. For all that it does and components used, it could have been twice the price and still have been a good deal.

May 5, 2024 at 7:35 AM Post #467 of 478
I have a question regarding volume mgmt. When using the D16 line-out with the PB5, what’s the best method for adjusting the volume (or is the way @twister6 did it in his review the best one under all conditions)?

I use it the „twister-way“: D16 set to line-out, 4.4 to PB5. D16 Amp gain Low, DAC gain High. Digital Volume 95. Then I adjust volume to my desire with the PB5s stepped attenuator.

Am I doing this right? Or should I e.g. raise PB5 volume more and adjust volume with D16 digital knob or change any other setting with both devices combined so I get the best performance/headroom/dynamics etc.?

May 6, 2024 at 8:54 PM Post #468 of 478
Thanks to @Whitigir and @jamato8 for your answers.

I feel like D16 is the product that I'm looking for, at not-as-expensive-as-flagship-DAPs kind of price, superior DAC performance according to opinions I've seen in this thread that enables me to use it later on when I get to buy a desktop amp, and decent amplification stage in itself enough for most IEMs and quite decent range of headphones.

However, since I had no chance to listen to it myself, I am at the last stage of gaining confidence that it is really worth $1500.

I'm also still waiting for @twister6 for opinions...

May 6, 2024 at 10:51 PM Post #469 of 478
Thanks to @Whitigir and @jamato8 for your answers.

I feel like D16 is the product that I'm looking for, at not-as-expensive-as-flagship-DAPs kind of price, superior DAC performance according to opinions I've seen in this thread that enables me to use it later on when I get to buy a desktop amp, and decent amplification stage in itself enough for most IEMs and quite decent range of headphones.

However, since I had no chance to listen to it myself, I am at the last stage of gaining confidence that it is really worth $1500.

I'm also still waiting for @twister6 for opinions...

I already shared my opinions in D16/PB5 review :wink: This dac/amp is the beast and adding PB5 is like a cherry on top. And as I mentioned many times already, I think iBasso should seriously consider D16/PB5 combo for the DX400Max design :D

May 7, 2024 at 12:34 AM Post #470 of 478
I already shared my opinions in D16/PB5 review :wink: This dac/amp is the beast and adding PB5 is like a cherry on top. And as I mentioned many times already, I think iBasso should seriously consider D16/PB5 combo for the DX400Max design :D
I got two more questions to @twister6

1. In your review of D16, there was ‘price’ among its cons. Does this mean it is too expensive for the sound quality, or just that it is not cheap enough for many people?

2. Today I had a chance to listen to LPGT with the IEM I’m planning to use with D16. I would really appreciate it if you can give a comparison between LPGT and D16.
I tried to get my answer by reading your comparisons, D16 vs 320MAX and 320MAX vs LPGT but a direct comparison will help a lot!
I read your review again. Now I get that you do think D16 is absolutely worth its price!

I think I am going to make my mind after trying DX320 MAX Ti and checking whether I would like a sound with less bass and treble emphasis. I really hope I get a chance to try D16 out if possible.

May 10, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #471 of 478
I also own the DX320 MaxTi and love it as well but I found the PB5+D16 on another level with my HD800s.
I'm interested in the D16. How does the sound compared to the DX320 (not the Max)? I love the sound of DX320 with the stock amp. I really didn't like the iBasso analog products (I couldn't sell the Amp 14 fast enough and Amp 8 for the DX240 is gathering dust). I love their treatment of the Rohms where they took a little bit of the digital edge off, but it doesn't sound fuzzy like their non-digital products.

May 10, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #472 of 478
I'm interested in the D16. How does the sound compared to the DX320 (not the Max)? I love the sound of DX320 with the stock amp. I really didn't like the iBasso analog products (I couldn't sell the Amp 14 fast enough and Amp 8 for the DX240 is gathering dust). I love their treatment of the Rohms where they took a little bit of the digital edge off, but it doesn't sound fuzzy like their non-digital products.
The D16 is very analog sounding while still remained neutral. The dx320 is neutral and still somewhat digital In comparison

May 11, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #473 of 478
Yesterday my custom Black Dragon Mini coaxial cables from Moon Audio arrived. 3.5mm 4 pin to 2 pin and RCA to 3.5mm 2 pin. Now I can connect my Fiio M17 and M15s to the D16 coaxially. To my ears the sound is worse than via USB from the iPhone or iPad Pro. Maybe the cables have to burn first or the Fiio coaxial outputs are bad or the Fiio/Ibasso synergy is not right. A pity!
I actually didn't want to buy the DX 260, but now I'm having second thoughts.

May 11, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #474 of 478
Yesterday my custom Black Dragon Mini coaxial cables from Moon Audio arrived. 3.5mm 4 pin to 2 pin and RCA to 3.5mm 2 pin. Now I can connect my Fiio M17 and M15s to the D16 coaxially. To my ears the sound is worse than via USB from the iPhone or iPad Pro. Maybe the cables have to burn first or the Fiio coaxial outputs are bad or the Fiio/Ibasso synergy is not right. A pity!
Though it's not kind practise you can buy one with the usual 14 days EU return policy for demo...
What I am personally wondering about is how the newly outcoming DX180 will sound with it...
Will be smaller footprint and cheaper too

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #475 of 478
Is it (moonaudio) shielded Coax cables ?
Have you tried stock Coax cables ?

May 11, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #477 of 478
If I may ask, why not use only your iPhone instead of buying an expensive DAP that has a DAC and AMP for transport use only?

May 12, 2024 at 1:31 AM Post #478 of 478
Different players sound differently. Coax sends a digital signal. The cable should not really matter. The quality of the player does. However, with that being said, DX260 or DX320 Max should sound the same as the signal bypass the DAC and amp sections.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back