Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 12, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #18,527 of 18,534
May 12, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #18,528 of 18,534
@AndrewOld, I’m a huge fan of the Decca recordings from their golden years, and I have that very book by my listening station that came highly recommended to me by my friend from Oxford, UK, @dcp10. I can almost imagine that Rob Watts might have been contemplating those classic Decca sessions when he was designing the m scaler.

May 13, 2024 at 4:42 AM Post #18,529 of 18,534
@AndrewOld, I’m a huge fan of the Decca recordings from their golden years, and I have that very book by my listening station that came highly recommended to me by my friend from Oxford, UK, @dcp10. I can almost imagine that Rob Watts might have been contemplating those classic Decca sessions when he was designing the m scaler.
It maybe that people who listen on headphones a lot find earlier stereo recordings good because they were more biased to mono. If you check out pages 126-127 of that book you will see that the early Decca tree microphone arrangement evolved from a single mono microphone with a couple of outriggers.

May 13, 2024 at 6:29 AM Post #18,531 of 18,534
Does anyone else have really wobbly BNC outputs? One of my dual BNC outputs is very wobbly, the other day I got mono sound, not sure if its the BNC cable or the socket but no mechanical fixing can't be good long-term.

The threaded bit of the socket is meant to have a nut on it but for no other reason I can see other than poor design they are not fitted.

May 13, 2024 at 8:11 AM Post #18,532 of 18,534
Does anyone else have really wobbly BNC outputs? One of my dual BNC outputs is very wobbly, the other day I got mono sound, not sure if its the BNC cable or the socket but no mechanical fixing can't be good long-term.

The threaded bit of the socket is meant to have a nut on it but for no other reason I can see other than poor design they are not fitted.
That's weird, mines are solid. The soldering may have come undone, call Chord you should send that unit back to them for repair.

May 13, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #18,533 of 18,534

Which BNC cables do you use? It happened to me twice that a BNC cable supplied with Dave or Mscaler did not make good contact. Before shipping your Scaler do comparative tests.....

May 14, 2024 at 2:31 AM Post #18,534 of 18,534
Which BNC cables do you use? It happened to me twice that a BNC cable supplied with Dave or Mscaler did not make good contact. Before shipping your Scaler do comparative tests.....
Not sure exactly which ones they are, I threw the box away but something from Atlas. They are very thick and that's what worries me, they definity put a lot of strain on the BNC plugs on the MScaler. I know my dealer and Chord will sort it out if it has broken something so I suppose its not the end of the world.

Like this:

1715668269743.png

Thanks for your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back