how does vinyl work?
Nov 6, 2003 at 4:16 AM Post #2 of 11
style.jpg

Mitch

Nov 6, 2003 at 4:21 AM Post #3 of 11
wow...that's an extremly cool pix
thanks!

Nov 7, 2003 at 12:24 AM Post #4 of 11
WHOA! Cool! Nice electron microscope pic. Anyway, that still doesn't tell me how it works. Oh no! Howstuffworks doens't have an article either!

Nov 7, 2003 at 1:01 AM Post #5 of 11
Here is some info... http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question487.htm

The stylus (needle) rides in a groove that is cut with the same signal/wave that you would see on a scope - the original waveform. The needle/stylus generates a signal between coils (the cartridge)and that signal is passed onto a phono stage for amplification. That is a simple answer but I am only a vinyl junkie and not an engineer. I know this - It works really well.
If you have not had a chance to sit down and spend some time listening to a good vinyl set-up, do yourself a favor and find someone who has one. Sit yourself down and enjoy. If you want to come out here to Montana and listen to mine you can spend a whole day listening. No charge...

Todd

Nov 7, 2003 at 1:18 AM Post #6 of 11
Follow all the links at How Stuff Works to get some really good info about digital vs. analog.

Nov 9, 2003 at 12:10 AM Post #7 of 11
Cool picture.

How is stereo information preserved?

--Chris

Nov 9, 2003 at 12:13 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by hempcamp
Cool picture.

How is stereo information preserved?

--Chris

Mono LP's (and cartridges) respond to left/right groove modulations only (2 dimensional groove cutting), stereo uses vertical modulations as well (up/down -- 3d groove cutting).

The way the two are "told apart" by the cartridge has something to do with the position of the magnet(s) or coil(s), I believe there are two positioned at 45 degree angles or something like that.

Nov 9, 2003 at 4:46 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
wow, that pic makes vinyl look REALLY crappy, I mean...SOO ghetto!!!!

Yeah, but look at all that nice information in the groove! The picture shows how even a good digitization is a mere approximation of the rich reality!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back