Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
May 11, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #4,066 of 4,067
Well I can't speak to HQ Player since I don't use it at all these days.

I can speak to the laptop.

The device name does not tell us anything as that is just the name it was assigned out of the factory. Looks like it could be LAPTOP-(serial number).

The CPU was released in 2018 so this laptop is probably 5 to 6 years old. The specs say it's a 14nm with a TDP of 45W, and that is a power-hungry laptop. If a manufacturer tried to stick that CPU in a thin and light the CPU will thermally throttle under load. That CPU was made to be put in a big bulky laptop meant as a desktop replacement in its day. After 5 to 6 years depending on use the CPU performance may have degraded over time.

24gb of RAM is an odd number. That tells me it was installed with 16gb of RAM and someone installed another 8gb. RAM can be fickle, and for me as a rule I don't mix and match RAM. For example, my nephew put together a desktop with 16gb of RAM and wanted to upgrade to 32, so went out and purchased the exact same 16gb RAM kit. He put in into his machine. His PC would either not post or if it did get into windows would be unstable. I helped him troubleshoot and while both 16gb kits were good they did not play well with each other even though it was the same kit, same manufacturer, same timings.

To see if the PC is the source of your problems, I would ask myself how long it has been since Windows 10 has been refreshed. If you have never refreshed Windows since it was purchased, 5 to 6 years ago it's time to refresh the install. Meaning back up your data. After backing up your data go into Windows Update and under recovery reset the PC and choose to remove everything. Who knows what kind of leftover registry entries, or old .dll's could be messing with HQ player.

If this was a purchase from 2018 or 2019 there is a good chance it could be running a mechanical hard drive. Buy an SSD, clone it and swap it out. You will be amazed how much performance you gain by swapping from a mechanical to an SSD on older laptops.

Open up the laptop clean out all the dust from the fans and re-apply the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU if it has a dedicated GPU. There is a chance that after 5 to 6 years the thermal paste is starting to dry up.

Take out that 8gb stick of RAM and run it with 16.
I am thinking bout buying a new gaming laptop so maybe that would be a better option , as already this laptop does not play well games and now i think it is not doing a good job with hqp

maybe an alienware x16

May 11, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #4,067 of 4,067
I am thinking bout buying a new gaming laptop so maybe that would be a better option , as already this laptop does not play well games and now i think it is not doing a good job with hqp

maybe an alienware x16
Nooooo!

Stay away from Alienware. Since Dell purchased them Alienware has gone downhill for years.

I would also stay away from ASUS ROG brand these days. Thier warranty RMA process is a scam.

If you want to trust a complete stranger, PM me and I can give you advice on your purchase within your price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back