HiFiMan Susvara
May 11, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #25,681 of 25,688
Wished I had thought of that, even HIFIman did not suggest. I have a Lina Dac in my chain then and now. I had it set to 6V maybe it was too high etc.thx
FYI; Believe (according to Chord Specs) that my Chord DAVE outputs max approx. 4.4V via the unbalanced RCA's to my EF1000 and believe(according to CH Precision Specs) my CH P1 Phono Stage outputs max approx. 4.0V via the unbalanced RCA's to my EF1000 !

May 11, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #25,682 of 25,688
Sounds like a current and or voltage surge overload from your source component(s) into the EF1000 where the EF1000 has shut down to protect itself !
Also note that the EF1000 has a tube Pre-Amp not SS i.e. even more susceptible to overload issues and hence needs to be fully protected from them (as I'm sure Hifiman have done) !

May 11, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #25,683 of 25,688
FYI; Believe (according to Chord Specs) that my Chord DAVE outputs max approx. 4.4V via the unbalanced RCA's to my EF1000 and believe(according to CH Precision Specs) my CH P1 Phono Stage outputs max approx. 4.0V via the unbalanced RCA's to my EF1000 !
Thx, i keep your comments in mind if I acquire another EF1000……..which I probably will

May 12, 2024 at 1:39 AM Post #25,685 of 25,688
I just found out how you store your files reflects in quality of the sound on Susvara. It is bigger improvement than filters and cables.

ROON users. unfortunately are depended on the SMB for NAS/Fileservers. I could not find any support for ISCSI

It is no secret if you deep google SMB or NFS should have never been a thing in audiophile community.

ISCSI is also old, but it beats both for music on my system. It has no security, it has no bottleneck. It is block-level and it is fully open without any encryption. Just like an internal storage, but sound even better on SAN implementation.

Synology/FreeNAS/TrueNAS users: Do yourself this big favor. Thick Provision a share with no authentication, Single host, and test it for yourselfs.

You will hear the difference in the layers of the music. It is incredible improvement.

I also have a similar observation, but it can also be not just the implementation of the authentication, but also the quality of the storage and memory of the NAS/Fileservers. Storing music files on laptop and streaming it through Roon is at times more often than not worse sounding than Qobuz through Roon even though the files are purchased directly from Qobuz

May 12, 2024 at 3:44 AM Post #25,686 of 25,688
I also have a similar observation, but it can also be not just the implementation of the authentication, but also the quality of the storage and memory of the NAS/Fileservers. Storing music files on laptop and streaming it through Roon is at times more often than not worse sounding than Qobuz through Roon even though the files are purchased directly from Qobuz
Yes the storage, the controller, the chips on the SSD/NVME, plays a huge role! Thats why I am in love with the old Samsung 980 Pro over any EVO. The newer 990 Pro should be even better.

EVO is neutral sounding, 980 Pro has better texture on guitars. Thicker, more analog, sweeter.

You said memory, yes to that it has impact. Thats another rabbit hole I have not experimented with.

However the ISCSI is soo great I am ordering another DS124 for steam/EA/EPIC games

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #25,688 of 25,688
Susvara's earcups have been putting pressure on my ears and I'm experiencing aching on my inner top ear. How to fix this?
Change it to the universal Zmf ear pads. It will feel much better.

If your ear hurts try pressing on the mastoid, the bones bump behind the ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back