Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
May 28, 2024 at 9:39 AM Post #12,316 of 12,322
I mostly use Dunu SA6 and Audeze Maxwell (also own Fidelio X2 and Dunu 2000j, but don't use those at all).
There are no brands except Audeze and Focal in my country, so I am not even sure what my preferred sound signature is.
I've decided to try some more expensive headphones during my trip to Berlin.

I've chosen 1000se, Arya Organic and Meze Empyrean 2 as I wanted to check if I can hear the differences in this price range.
I've had around 30 minutes and listened to some prog rock (Floyd, King Crimson, Porcupine Tree), commercial metal (Sepultura) and black metal (Emperor, Dimmu Borgir, early Ulver, Burzum).
I did not like Empyrean 2 at all. The music sounded good, but it did not move me at all and I really did not like the fit (that was unexpected).
Arya Organic was better, it sounded "organic" and it was not as bright as I've expected.
1000se was a clear winner to me. It sounded magical and not at all in line with my expectations. Soundstage was wide, but not as wide as reviews led me to believe. It was also not piercingly bright even when playing something like Nattens Madrigal.

I am confused now. I expected something completely different based on the reviews that I've read.
I am not sure if the source influenced the results (Naim Uniti Atom was used).
Based on what I've heard, SE sounded like a clear winner, but I am worried that my dac/amp won't be a good fit (Schiit 2 uber stack).
My plan is to buy a refurbished Hifiman. I just have to decided if I should go with 1000se or if the 1000 Stealth will be good enough.

May 28, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #12,317 of 12,322
I am confused now. I expected something completely different based on the reviews that I've read.
That's why reviews should be taken with a grain of salt. Some of us can't test before buying but you did the smart thing, which is being patient enought to test when possible and make a reasonable purchase.

I have the Arya Organic (was not able to test the 1000SE) and while I do admit it's bright, it's nowhere as piercing as most reviews make it seem. And I love it for metal, it delivers!

May 29, 2024 at 2:51 AM Post #12,318 of 12,322
I mostly use Dunu SA6 and Audeze Maxwell (also own Fidelio X2 and Dunu 2000j, but don't use those at all).
There are no brands except Audeze and Focal in my country, so I am not even sure what my preferred sound signature is.

I've chosen 1000se, Arya Organic and Meze Empyrean 2 as I wanted to check if I can hear the differences in this price range.
I've had around 30 minutes and listened to some prog rock (Floyd, King Crimson, Porcupine Tree), commercial metal (Sepultura) and black metal (Emperor, Dimmu Borgir, early Ulver, Burzum).
I did not like Empyrean 2 at all. The music sounded good, but it did not move me at all and I really did not like the fit (that was unexpected).
Arya Organic was better, it sounded "organic" and it was not as bright as I've expected.
1000se was a clear winner to me. It sounded magical and not at all in line with my expectations. Soundstage was wide, but not as wide as reviews led me to believe. It was also not piercingly bright even when playing something like Nattens Madrigal.

Based on what I've heard, SE sounded like a clear winner, but I am worried that my dac/amp won't be a good fit (Schiit 2 uber stack).
My plan is to buy a refurbished Hifiman. I just have to decided if I should go with 1000se or if the 1000 Stealth will be good enough.
you likely have different sound signature preferences than what the reviewers do

May 29, 2024 at 3:43 AM Post #12,319 of 12,322
HifiMan Sundara will have the clarity, punch, and instrument separation that Metal requires.

May 29, 2024 at 4:21 AM Post #12,320 of 12,322

The HE1000 Stealth is a very nice headphone. The detail, the punchy and high quality bass, the speed. They sound a little more in your face than the SE imo. Great for many metal genres.

Treble CAN get fatigueing with harsh recordings. But overall a real great headphone for the money.

May 29, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #12,321 of 12,322
Overall I preferred the MG Pro by a lot! Everyone is saying that they should sound exactly the same as the MG but personally I preferred it! The MG Pro felt like the MG with added punch and a small bass shelf that seemed to be missing from the MG. All of the demos were fed by Naim Uniti Atom and the same cable was used. So I don’t know, maybe the pads on one of the two sets were more worn? The difference was beyond placebo and it was evident with all of my favourite music (Wintersun, Parkway Drive, Dream Theater, Soen etc).
I love my OG Clear Pros for metal. Took me awhile to find a pair for a decent price, but they were worth the wait. Also, I don't see Soen mentioned often. Outstanding band! Their newest album is a beast!

May 29, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #12,322 of 12,322
The Focal Clear OG is indeed nice for metal in my opinion. Punchy and clean sound with nice bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back