"Gaming" vs. Cheap DACs: Recommendations Please
Oct 23, 2022 at 9:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

miT

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

This is a separate request to my other thread as I have found a software workaround for that...

I have dug out my XBOX One X to see if I can get back into gaming and some needed decompression, but will at best be a very casual gamer.

If I do catch the bug, I plan to swap camps and build a gaming PC next year, which will obviously remove the restrictions I am currently limited by (i.e. TOSLINK input) and will be catered to with a high-end DAC / Amp due to being my main music system. This test is potentially a throwaway purchase, unless it proves worth it for gaming, hence the low investment.

For a budget of around £150, which "gaming" DAC / Amp would you recommend for the the best SQ (for the price) and enough power, with a TOSLINK input? I plan to try with both IEMs and my headphones, including my HD800S.

I have come across the Astro Mixamp Pro TR, and Soundblaster G6 and GC7, but I am unsure how they sound in the Head-Fi world, and what they can run power-wise...

I also found the Fosi Q5 today which strikes me as better (?), and tells me are probably lots of other cheap options out there I have no experience with (including the Schiit Fulla 3)... Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Tim

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #3 of 7
Find you a used Chord Mojo. You can game and have a good portable unit.
Thanks for the suggestion. I am only looking to spend around £150 at present, but I may be able to stretch to £300 if only a stack will power my HD800S. This is just a trial...

Unfortunately the Mojo 2 is too expensive for this, but I will keep it in mind if I need to upgrade after this trial.

I also already have the Qudelix 5k and Cayin RU6 which handle my portable requirements at present. They would have worked for this if Microsoft did not block USB audio!! Yet another reason why PC gaming is becoming far more appealing...

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 7
I am not sure if it makes a difference but I am going on holiday next week with the sole purpose of this test, hence I need to purchase in the next few days, otherwise I will only be able to use my IEMs as sound is currently via the controller output...

Oct 25, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #5 of 7
I have been doing some more research and may have a few options...

Any recommendations from personal experience would be appreciated please:

Fiio K5 Pro
Schiit Fulla 3e
Sound Blaster X G6
Topping E30 + L30 stack
JDS Labs Atom + stack (amp is currently unavailable)

Are any of those worth it?

What about FX Audio? Fosi Audio?

Thanks

Oct 28, 2022 at 4:37 AM Post #6 of 7
I can only describe my experience with the sound blasterx g6. Using it on my pc(usb) and xbox series x through toslink. I have a pair of modded fostex t50rp that i mostly game with, and my experience is that it runs them well. Sometimes i play with scout mode or sbx, but mostly not. Soundwise i cant help you more than it make my ears bleed and i love what it does with games and music. Battlefield 1,5 and 2042 sounds great, storygames also sounds wonderful and all in all i am pleased with it. Easy to get it up and running, i also use it on my work-pc to listen to music while working and when i am in conference calls from home.

Oct 28, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #7 of 7
I can only describe my experience with the sound blasterx g6. Using it on my pc(usb) and xbox series x through toslink. I have a pair of modded fostex t50rp that i mostly game with, and my experience is that it runs them well. Sometimes i play with scout mode or sbx, but mostly not. Soundwise i cant help you more than it make my ears bleed and i love what it does with games and music. Battlefield 1,5 and 2042 sounds great, storygames also sounds wonderful and all in all i am pleased with it. Easy to get it up and running, i also use it on my work-pc to listen to music while working and when i am in conference calls from home.
Haha, thanks mate. Bleeding from the ears is never a good sign, but I take it you are going for the full battlefield experience? 😂

I waited a bit long so my choice ended up being rushed and biased by availability as I needed in time to take on holiday with me on Monday.

Thanks guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back