For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
May 2, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #9,571 of 9,580
Yeah I tried both sockets with both tubes, equally stiff. There's no way I can get the other tube out without breaking it without tools. It's super stiff. The pins on both tubes were in perfect condition too, so something is up with the sockets I think.
Sorry about the troubles... CV4079s are delightful tubes. Can get stiff sockets to 'relax' their death grip with years of rolling.

Or... if you're in a rush... can use a small flat blade screwdriver to open up each socket a little. On close examination may notice a too closed or offset socket pin.

Or if you have a spare B9A noval adapter can use that to wear-in the 4079 adapter, by inserting/removing a few hundred times.

As you discovered, it's called tube rolling for a reason. Rolling (side-to-side) the tube into the socket is better than attempting to push straight into the socket.

Could also contact @Deyan about a custom CV4079 adapter.

May 2, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #9,572 of 9,580
Sorry about the troubles... CV4079s are delightful tubes. Can get stiff sockets to 'relax' their death grip with years of rolling.

Or... if you're in a rush... can use a small flat blade screwdriver to open up each socket a little. On close examination may notice a too closed or offset socket pin.

Or if you have a spare B9A noval adapter can use that to wear-in the 4079 adapter, by inserting/removing a few hundred times.

As you discovered, it's called tube rolling for a reason. Rolling (side-to-side) the tube into the socket is better than attempting to push straight into the socket.

Could also contact @Deyan about a custom CV4079 adapter.

I was just about to post an update. I used a super flat phillips screw driver to gently pry up the tubes (had I done it normally I'd break the other tube too). After inserting and removing them a couple of times the sockets feel relatively normal, and no way as stiff as the first time. In any case I ordered a couple of more so I'm looking forward to giving it another shot!

May 2, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #9,573 of 9,580
I was just about to post an update. I used a super flat phillips screw driver to gently pry up the tubes (had I done it normally I'd break the other tube too). After inserting and removing them a couple of times the sockets feel relatively normal, and no way as stiff as the first time. In any case I ordered a couple of more so I'm looking forward to giving it another shot!
That's good to hear. I was going to post that if a socket feels extra tight I'll work it with a socket saver rather than risk breaking a tube.

May 3, 2024 at 6:01 AM Post #9,574 of 9,580
I have a couple of the same CV4079 adapters from Xuling and agree that they are scary tight. I was so afraid a tube would shatter that I wore gloves the first time. As LobalWarming said, they will loosen somewhat over time. He's right that you want to rock the tube (slightly) from side to side when you put it in or take it out of the adapter.

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 6:39 AM Post #9,575 of 9,580
Comparing GEC variations

6as7g.jpg

May 14, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #9,578 of 9,580
You definitely need a round base one 😁
There's a few more than two :wink:
Those curved brown bases seem to be a real crowd pleaser...

Here's a curved base A1834 as a driver (via 6SN7 adapter) paired with curved base A1834 power tubes. No, the A1834 does not pair well with itself... at least it makes for fun pictures:
A1 70.png
A2 70.png

Back in the *J5 family with these Raytheon 12J5WGT. Very nice sound. These have a slight rounded corner at the base - not nearly as pronounced as the A1834 but noticeable up close.
A3 70.jpg

More brown base drivers - now paired with these Cossor OM5C (EF37A/6J7). I also tried the brown base Mullard 6J5G which caused my amp to overdose on warmth.
A4.jpg

Are there any curved brown base driver tubes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back