Focal Utopia General Discussion
May 13, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #20,626 of 20,634
Hard to tell extent of damage from the photo. Is the crack fully thru the cup gimbal/headband? In other words, will cup fall of or nearly fall off if u place on your head?

May 13, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #20,627 of 20,634
Does anyone has any experience with replacing Utopias frame ? Sounds crazy but I accidentally sat on right earcup...Seeing how much focal charges for new earpads I have little hope for a budget fix here...
I think that’s a min of $1k repair. Sorry 😢

May 13, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #20,628 of 20,634
I think that’s a min of $1k repair. Sorry 😢

I won't be surprised, but if it's carbon fiber it should be fixable. Maybe I should contact a workshop that fixes carbon fiber frames for bikes...lol

May 13, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #20,629 of 20,634
I won't be surprised, but if it's carbon fiber it should be fixable. Maybe I should contact a workshop that fixes carbon fiber frames for bikes...lol
That's a very good thought!

May 13, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #20,630 of 20,634
*picks up phone*
hakunamakaka: *mumbles*
Workshop guy: "Headphones!?!? Why don't you just get a new pair?"
Workshop guy: "HOW MUCH!?!?"

:-D

May 13, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #20,631 of 20,634
As someone who used to work as a composites manufacturing engineer for spacecraft, if the headband snapped you could get a really strong adhesive like E9394 and bond it back. It won’t look pretty (there will be a grey paste), but it’ll solve your issue

May 13, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #20,632 of 20,634
*picks up phone*
Workshop guy: "Headphones!?!? Why don't you just get a new pair?"
Workshop guy: "HOW MUCH!?!?"

:-D
I could imagine...workshop guy would probably think I'm trolling...
Did anyone tried to dissemble Utopia or any other focal. I can't find any videos and sending just a frame would be a better option for me and for bicycle repairman

May 13, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #20,633 of 20,634
As someone who used to work as a composites manufacturing engineer for spacecraft, if the headband snapped you could get a really strong adhesive like E9394 and bond it back. It won’t look pretty (there will be a grey paste), but it’ll solve your issue
Thanks I will look into that option. Do i need just rub that paste onto frame and leave it ?

In current times I don't feel attracted to the idea on spending mega buck for a headphone frame. Have a feeling that Focal would come up with some ridiculous number. At least drivers survived my abuse...never again leaving my headphones in bed and covering with bed sheet

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #20,634 of 20,634
Thanks I will look into that option. Do i need just rub that paste onto frame and leave it ?

In current times I don't feel attracted to the idea on spending mega buck for a headphone frame. Have a feeling that Focal would come up with some ridiculous number. At least drivers survived my abuse...never again leaving my headphones in bed and covering with bed sheet
Based on the picture showed, throughly apply it to that area that is cracked, not too much, not too little. But you should have a decent coat. You’ll need to let it sit for about 4 hours or so (ideally 8) but since the only force comes from putting in on your head you may not need to be that stringent.

I do want to be clear though, that if you choose to do this. Understand this a two part adhesive. You have mix it throughly (wooden stick No metal) and once throughly mixed you apply it.

But you could also find a shop and ask them to just apply an adhesive if you feel unsure doing it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back