FIIO Flagship all-in-one digital media streamer R9 Discussion & Impressions Thread
May 6, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #376 of 390
I meant for transportation and moving it around your home because the CA1000T might be a bit more awkward because of how small and dense/heavy it is. It's about the size of a receipt printer.
Ah that's what I thought. That said moving the R9 would also involve moving the power cord and disconnecting and then reconnecting any of the other rear connections, e.g. speaker connections, HDMI connections, USB connections, etc.
Home office desktop player by day and bedside player by night. I guess that could work since the R9 is compact and light enough to easily transport from one location to another.

May 6, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #377 of 390
I think Fiio R9 is Powerful on Paper. But Sadly...
I just brought AKG K1000, need to turn Max to have enough Volume..

I just wanted to say that the AKG K1000 is not at all for the R9, the AKG K1000 needs a very powerful amplifier
These statements are incorrect. The FiiO R9 is one of the most powerful desktop headphone amplifiers on the market and can deliver up to 7watts via a balanced connection and the "Ultra High" gain setting, which is more than enough power to drive the AKG K1000 headphones. If this is not the case for you then something is definitely wrong with your setup.

May 7, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #378 of 390
These statements are incorrect. The FiiO R9 is one of the most powerful desktop headphone amplifiers on the market and can deliver up to 7watts via a balanced connection and the "Ultra High" gain setting, which is more than enough power to drive the AKG K1000 headphones. If this is not the case for you then something is definitely wrong with your setup.
No, there is not enough volume, even lower then my IFi Zen Can, and my Yamaha Av amp Rx V6a.
I am really disappoint Fiio R9 on max gain can do. It like 6-10db lower the my other device.
And diffenly not drive AkG k1000 well, it lack of depth, Sound stage, and dynamic.

But Fiio R9 drive my HD800 really well on midium gain setting.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 11:55 PM Post #380 of 390
The FiiO R9 and K19 have now officially passed HDMI certification.
The R9 and K19 support HDMI audio decoding, HDMI OUT, and HDMI ARC functions. To utilize HDMI's patented technology and logo, products must obtain authorization from the HDMI Association and undergo compliant design until passing rigorous testing to achieve HDMI certification. At the inception of the R9 and K19 projects, we applied for membership in the HDMI Association, paid annual dues to become official members, and promptly sent mass production versions of the products to the HDMI Association's authorized testing center, ATC, for testing. Upon passing the tests, the testing organization forwards the results to the HDMI Association headquarters in the United States for review.
In addition to membership fees, each product sent for testing needs to pay testing fees and royalties (i.e., copyright fees). After more than six months of testing on various complex projects, the R9 and K19 have finally obtained HDMI certification, indicating the arduousness of this certification process.
It is worth noting that HDMI certification is not mandatory, but FiiO has consistently adhered to a user-oriented and responsible attitude, ensuring product compliance and broad compatibility, allowing users to better experience the enjoyment brought by HDMI functionality. To this end, we have overcome numerous difficulties and applied for HDMI certification for the R9, K19, and some subsequent new products (currently confidential). Hereby we would like to express special thanks to our team members for their efforts and perseverance.
Note: The HDMI-certified versions of the R9 and K19 are HDMI 1.4b; the certified machines are mass production versions, consistent with the ones currently in use by everyone.

img_v3_00an_74f9f770-280a-45a5-bab2-0e7891dfffdg.jpg

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 9, 2024 at 12:11 AM Post #381 of 390
The FiiO R9 and K19 have now officially passed HDMI certification.
The R9 and K19 support HDMI audio decoding, HDMI OUT, and HDMI ARC functions. To utilize HDMI's patented technology and logo, products must obtain authorization from the HDMI Association and undergo compliant design until passing rigorous testing to achieve HDMI certification. At the inception of the R9 and K19 projects, we applied for membership in the HDMI Association, paid annual dues to become official members, and promptly sent mass production versions of the products to the HDMI Association's authorized testing center, ATC, for testing. Upon passing the tests, the testing organization forwards the results to the HDMI Association headquarters in the United States for review.
In addition to membership fees, each product sent for testing needs to pay testing fees and royalties (i.e., copyright fees). After more than six months of testing on various complex projects, the R9 and K19 have finally obtained HDMI certification, indicating the arduousness of this certification process.
It is worth noting that HDMI certification is not mandatory, but FiiO has consistently adhered to a user-oriented and responsible attitude, ensuring product compliance and broad compatibility, allowing users to better experience the enjoyment brought by HDMI functionality. To this end, we have overcome numerous difficulties and applied for HDMI certification for the R9, K19, and some subsequent new products (currently confidential). Hereby we would like to express special thanks to our team members for their efforts and perseverance.
Note: The HDMI-certified versions of the R9 and K19 are HDMI 1.4b; the certified machines are mass production versions, consistent with the ones currently in use by everyone.

img_v3_00an_74f9f770-280a-45a5-bab2-0e7891dfffdg.jpg
Hi: I need some clarification with respect to this. I am an early purchaser of the R9, and I wanted to use HDMI to convey music from the DAC to my stereo. I was told that this was not possible. Not it appears that it is possible. Which is it? Do I have to exchange my unit for a more recent version of the R9, and if so, how do I do this. If not, will there be a firmware update to allow my unit to transmit the processed music through HDMI to my stereo. Please let me know as soon as possible how this will work. Mike Gutierrez, North Hollywood, California

May 9, 2024 at 12:41 AM Post #382 of 390
Hi: I need some clarification with respect to this. I am an early purchaser of the R9, and I wanted to use HDMI to convey music from the DAC to my stereo. I was told that this was not possible. Not it appears that it is possible. Which is it? Do I have to exchange my unit for a more recent version of the R9, and if so, how do I do this. If not, will there be a firmware update to allow my unit to transmit the processed music through HDMI to my stereo. Please let me know as soon as possible how this will work. Mike Gutierrez, North Hollywood, California
What you are asking for makes no sense, at least in the way you asked it (perhaps there is a misunderstanding?).

A DAC’s entire purpose is to convert Digital audio to Analog audio. It’s right there in the name - Digital-to-Analog Converter.

The HDMI format is for transferring digital data, not analog.

So if the R9’s DAC is in use, it will be converting the digital audio data to analog. At that point, it needs to be sent via an analog method to a device that expects analog music - whether that be directly to headphones, or to an external amplifier using RCA or perhaps balanced audio cable(s).

It would not be sent using HDMI.

If you really do want to use HDMI out from the R9, then it would remain in a digital format, until the receiving device can do it’s own digital-to-analog conversion using it’s own DAC. The DAC in the R9 would not be involved at all.

Regardless of where it ends up happening, only one conversion should take place, since the source is digital, and we humans can’t hear digital audio. Our ears only work in analog.

May 9, 2024 at 6:52 AM Post #384 of 390
Good friends, here is a summary of what each filter that comes with the ESS 9038Pro Dac is used for in this case

Lowpass filter modeThere are seven different filters on the R9, you can choose themaccordingtoyour listening preferences. Filters are some effects that come with the original DAC chips, and theadjustment is subtle for the sound. The following is the hearing descriptionofsome filters, for reference only:Linear phase fast roll-off filter: the sound is full and mellow, the vocals areinthe behind, rich and full, with strong reverberation, suitable for pop music;Linear phase slow roll-off filter: the sound is clean, the vocals are in the front, clear and original, suitable for classical music;Minumum phase fast roll-off filter: The sound is thicker and mid-frequency;thick and warm, suitable for music with slower sound and rhythm;Minimum phase slow roll-off filter: The sound is warmer and mid-frequency;the sound field is large, suitable for large-scale music such as symphony;Apodizing fast roll-off filter: The sound is restored to the original sound; themusic has a strong texture and is suitable for fast-paced music;Hybrid fast roll-off minimum phase filter: The sound is full-bodied and suitablefor string instruments.Brick wall filter: The sound is warm and neutral in tone

May 9, 2024 at 7:14 AM Post #385 of 390
Ultra High Gain. Volume max.
I finally looked up the AKG K1000s, because I was not familiar with them. Those aren’t headphones, they are static “ear speakers”. They are clean as heck but need an insane amount of power. They need a speaker amplifier instead of a headphone amplifier (hence the term “ear speakers”), just like Stax do.

What you are trying to do right now is essentially the same as hooking up a pair of regular speakers to the headphone jack of the R9, and then complaining that there isn’t enough power.

Well yeah - that’s because they need WAY more than headphone amplifiers have, because they are not “headphones”

Try wiring them to the speaker outputs of a powerful speaker amp, and then you’ll be much more satisfied.

May 9, 2024 at 7:17 AM Post #386 of 390
I finally looked up the AKG K1000s, because I was not familiar with them. Those aren’t headphones, they are static “ear speakers”. They are clean as heck but need an insane amount of power. They need a speaker amplifier instead of a headphone amplifier (hence the term “ear speakers”), just like Stax do.

What you are trying to do right now is essentially the same as hooking up a pair of regular speakers to the headphone jack of the R9, and then complaining that there isn’t enough power.

Well yeah - that’s because they need WAY more than headphone amplifiers have, because they are not “headphones”

Try wiring them to the speaker outputs of a powerful speaker amp, and then you’ll be much more satisfied.
Do more research, a lot of headphone amp, drive it well. Thanks.

May 9, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #389 of 390
Do more research, a lot of headphone amp, drive it well. Thanks.
No, they can’t. Do your research.

The K1000’s have a sensitivity of 74db for 1 mW (free field). They, therefore, require a power amplifier to drive them.

This review backs this claim up: https://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue9/akg1000.htm

So stop bitching about the R9, and ACCEPT that your K1000’s require a power amplifier to drive them.

Attachments

• IMG_1546.jpeg
    IMG_1546.jpeg
    281.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back