Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
May 13, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #1,066 of 1,078
Now you have me thinking. Between the Dan Clark Audio E3 and the Meze Liric II, I was trying to figure out which headphone to buy. From what I understand the E3s are a great headphone. They're more detailed than the Liric II but offer less bass. I like bass so I was leaning toward the Liric which is also rated well. Well if the impact + could offset the less bass of the E3, it makes that headphone a really good option. 🤔
I'd go with the E3. I didn't like Liric II at all and E3 on a proper amp sound very nice and also deliver some nice bass.

May 13, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #1,067 of 1,078
I've also given the GSE a try in Munich and I was very impressed. Especially the spatial enhancement and impact+ both are very impressive and convince you to stay enabled all the time in an instant. Very much looking forward for the conversion pack to get available for purchase for my Wandla (target is some time in June apparently). If you already have Wandla, the GSE conversion is a no brainer in my opinion.

Also had a nice chat with the Oor Designer, who was very happy to be able to try the whole stack with my Mod House Tungsten. That combo definitely sounded very impressive.

1715572714531.png
The power cable connected to the Hypsos looks awesome 🤭 so fat! That one didn’t come in the box lol.

May 13, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #1,068 of 1,078
Here is me having fun and "faking" a Wandla GSE setup while I wait for the unit to arrive one day! 😅 Getting creative with the ADI-2/4 Pro SE settings: crossfeed and width and making my own impact+ setting with the EQ, having Hypsos powering the unit lol. Listening to the new Toki Asako CD 1 Peppermint Time - 20 Anniversary track 1: 美しい顔

Fun times while being hyped!!! lol :)

P.S: the 6K peak is for the HD800s.

Attachments

• RME+Hypsos.png
    RME+Hypsos.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
May 13, 2024 at 8:21 PM Post #1,069 of 1,078
Now you have me thinking. Between the Dan Clark Audio E3 and the Meze Liric II, I was trying to figure out which headphone to buy. From what I understand the E3s are a great headphone. They're more detailed than the Liric II but offer less bass. I like bass so I was leaning toward the Liric which is also rated well. Well if the impact + could offset the less bass of the E3, it makes that headphone a really good option. 🤔
Yeah this is an interesting point for sure. For me, a perceived lack of bass/sub-bass is something that continually frustrates, especially with EDM/electronica. I've been thinking about ZMF Atrium Closed on the basis that the one thing it definitely doesn't lack is (sub-)bass. But if Impact+ on GSE can compensate for this in a way that sounds natural then perhaps it opens up a bunch of other alternatives that are better generalists.

@GoldenSound just out of interest, do you use Impact+ on your Atrium Opens?

May 14, 2024 at 12:18 AM Post #1,070 of 1,078
If you want impact then forget the planars.....all of them😉

NOMAX

PS.Haven't heard one where the low end was really tight,compact and full at the same time 😎

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 1:52 AM Post #1,071 of 1,078

NOMAX

PS.Haven't heard one where the low end was really tight,compact and full at the same time 😎
1266 TC

May 14, 2024 at 2:46 AM Post #1,072 of 1,078

NOMAX

I would definitely suggest you to try the ZMF Caldera then! :sunglasses:

May 14, 2024 at 2:47 AM Post #1,073 of 1,078
Yeah this is an interesting point for sure. For me, a perceived lack of bass/sub-bass is something that continually frustrates, especially with EDM/electronica. I've been thinking about ZMF Atrium Closed on the basis that the one thing it definitely doesn't lack is (sub-)bass. But if Impact+ on GSE can compensate for this in a way that sounds natural then perhaps it opens up a bunch of other alternatives that are better generalists.

@GoldenSound just out of interest, do you use Impact+ on your Atrium Opens?
I don't generally use it with atrium, atrium is already a fairly bassy headphone.

Bass level preference is the area that varies most between listeners though so its gonna depend on the person

May 14, 2024 at 3:36 AM Post #1,075 of 1,078
May 14, 2024 at 3:59 AM Post #1,076 of 1,078
I don't generally use it with atrium, atrium is already a fairly bassy headphone.

Bass level preference is the area that varies most between listeners though so its gonna depend on the person
I would say no additional bass impact needed but I am eagerly waiting for the GSE software upgrade :)

Attachments

• IMG_0027.jpg
    IMG_0027.jpg
    844.3 KB · Views: 0
May 14, 2024 at 4:07 AM Post #1,077 of 1,078
Quick impressions from my side, using Utopia 2022 and mostly Feliks Audio Elise with upgraded tubes. I don't have Hypsos with me at the moment (but I did listen to it with before with previous Wandla). I have Oor as well and I did test it with new enchantments.

GoldenSound improvements are subtle but noticeable, actually a lot more than changing a HQ filter. These changes are not overdone and if you already like how Wandla sounds, then this will be a nice addition for you.

Impact+ is most noticeable right away because its basically and EQ change. I thought there is more to this filter than this but sadly it does not seem like it. This means with some headphones (like Utopia) lower tones will get muddy and way too punchy, but in some cases this change might be a nice addition.

Spatial Enhacement depends A LOT on the song used. You can hear a better instrument separation in most tracks, in others perceived soundstage (or room) gets bigger. Most of the time effect is nice to hear, and yes songs feel compressed after you turn this effect off aster using it for some time, but in some examples this effect can be a little too much as well, like when there is an echo or reverb used in track then it will get much more noticeable. Still, for me, this is by far the best new feature added to a Wandla. The fact that you actually want to use this feature says a lot about it compared to other similar implementations. Great work team @ Ferrum and @GoldenSound !

Tube Mode is very subtle and alter sound only a little bit. This does not emulate a real tube amp at all, and I think this was a wise design choice as change is very delicate, little bit analog-like without losing any details or so on.

Overall, even if these changes are subtle and asking/update price is a bit much, I would still recommend upgrading to GSE. You will get an improvement in sound, and better, you can support amazing work at Ferrum and from the GoldenSound. We need more initiatives like this to keep this hobby evolving. Once again, great job everyone!

PS. Sorry, I am new here and I couldn't edit original post where I wanted to post these few words :wink:

I95APoP.jpeg

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 5:45 AM Post #1,078 of 1,078
Quick impressions from my side, using Utopia 2022 and mostly Feliks Audio Elise with upgraded tubes. I don't have Hypsos with me at the moment (but I did listen to it with before with previous Wandla). I have Oor as well and I did test it with new enchantments.

GoldenSound improvements are subtle but noticeable, actually a lot more than changing a HQ filter. These changes are not overdone and if you already like Wandla sound, then this will be a nice addition for you.

Impact+ is most noticeable right away because its basically and EQ change. I thought there is more to this filter than this but sadly it does not seem like it. This means with some headphones (like Utopia) lower tones will get muddy and way too punchy, but in some cases this change might be a nice addition.

Spatial Enhacement depends A LOT on the song used. You can hear a better instrument separation in most tracks, in others perceived soundstage (or room) gets bigger. Most of the time effect is nice to hear, and yes songs feel compressed after you turn this effect off aster using it for some time, but in some examples this effect can be a little too much as well, like when there is an echo or reverb used in track then it will get much more noticeable. Still, for me, this is by far the best new feature added to a Wandla. The fact that you actually want to use this feature says a lot about it compared to other similar implementations. Great work team @ Ferrum and @GoldenSound !

Tube Mode is very subtle and alter sound only a little bit. This does not emulate a real tube amp at all, and I think this was a wise design choice as change is very delicate, little bit analog-like without losing any details or so on.

Overall, even if these changes are subtle and asking/update price is a bit much, I would still recommend upgrading to GSE. You will get an improvement in sound, and better, you can support amazing work at Ferrum and from the GoldenSound. We need more initiatives like this to keep this hobby evolving. Once again, great job everyone!

PS. Sorry, I am new here and I couldn't edit original post where I wanted to post these few words :wink:

I95APoP.jpeg

Great write up! Nice to have some real world impressions of the features. Quite curious how the Spatial Enhancement will do with the stage of IEMs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back