Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
May 10, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #40,606 of 40,613
Dug up some spiral dot ++'s I had laying around in ye olde tip bag and been listening a bit at work this morning. Some initial thoughts:

*Bass slightly reduced, but Raven has bass to burn. I still get those "omg I think I feel this in my spinal column" moments.
*Bass reduction has resulted in better mid clarity/separation. I think I'm also hearing them to be a bit more smooth through the upper mids.
*As mentioned above, Raven rides the line of treble harshness/sibilance with wider bore tips, and these are no exception. Strong "s" noises, underlying breathiness in female vocals, some cymbal ringing, bits of stick impact etc can be highlighted a bit too much now.
*Spatial aspects are strongly enhanced.

I switched back to Final E's and they felt claustrophobic in comparison. I think I'll keep the spiral dots on for now. I only had M's, so I've ordered the next size down to see if I can get a deeper fit and mess with that peak a bit more. Overall I think the spiral dots do a good job of highlighting what Raven does well, and nudge the sound signature in a more energetic or exciting direction (although at a cost). One thing is for certain, Raven certainly tip-rolls quite well. Much yet to be explored. :ksc75smile:
Exactly what I heard on the EVO :wink: but you explained it perfectly. Nailed it 200%. While they are different earpieces they respond the same to the tips.

It's why I went back to the Crystals because the tonality is just that bit better and shaving the edge off of the spatial aspects does focus things a bit better for a stronger attention to detail. Not more detail, but they're a little nearer for your full attention.

May 10, 2024 at 11:15 PM Post #40,607 of 40,613
Try spiral dot++'s for extra width and tamed bass, might make upper treble a little spicy but it's very cool on spatial info tracks.

Edit: I'll add some silly tracks for examples when I was swaping between crystals and ++ on the EVO
IU - Holssi 1:23 mark; whispered lyrics seem like they're arm's length behind you very Left/Right separated. On crystals, just great separation and still kind of get the effect.
Bibi - Hongdae R&B; second verse talk/sung 1:24 on crystals its ASMR style at the ear with backtracked whispers even further away. On ++, makes you feel like someone's in the room kinda surprisingly far away.
Young Posse - Macaroni Cheese; intro whispering only. Big difference in width between ++ and Cyrstals. This song is a meme. It's trash. But I did listen to it.

Overall I went back to the AZLA Crystals because they still have excellent all-around performance and the tonality is better with all tracks having more focus. The ++ made some female vocals a little grating on the EVO and threw off the tonality of string instruments a tad, but this could just be a brain burn-in issue you won't mind after sticking with a switch. The ++ make everything wide when sometimes it doesn't need to be but its really cool when stuff is recorded that way and you're like "woah".
You're spot on with the Spiral dot++'s. Immediate overall clarity improvement and sub-bass clean up. Can be a little spicy at higher listening levels but much more revealing than the Spinfit W1's. I also note that these have been the most comfortable tips yet with the Raven. My left year canal has hated me since the Ravens have arrived and the Sprial dot++'s have cleared up that discomfort.

May 11, 2024 at 12:41 AM Post #40,608 of 40,613
You're spot on with the Spiral dot++'s. Immediate overall clarity improvement and sub-bass clean up. Can be a little spicy at higher listening levels but much more revealing than the Spinfit W1's. I also note that these have been the most comfortable tips yet with the Raven. My left year canal has hated me since the Ravens have arrived and the Sprial dot++'s have cleared up that discomfort.
You might want to... sorry to say... look into split sizes 😭. But if those are comfy on both sides! Excellent!

May 11, 2024 at 12:49 AM Post #40,609 of 40,613
I'm trying out Spinfit CP145 here, likened it so far, bass's tightened up and reduced sparkle, coming from CP 100+.

May 11, 2024 at 8:09 AM Post #40,610 of 40,613
I'm trying out Spinfit CP145 here, likened it so far, bass's tightened up and reduced sparkle, coming from CP 100+.
Yup after trying out like 15 different tips the spinfit CP145’s are my winner. I will buy 2 more which are the spinfit Omni and azla origin and see if they’re the winner.

May 11, 2024 at 8:19 AM Post #40,611 of 40,613
Kindly share your impression of Raven on cp145 after Omni and azla origin

May 12, 2024 at 4:22 AM Post #40,612 of 40,613
Exactly what I heard on the EVO :wink: but you explained it perfectly. Nailed it 200%. While they are different earpieces they respond the same to the tips.

It's why I went back to the Crystals because the tonality is just that bit better and shaving the edge off of the spatial aspects does focus things a bit better for a stronger attention to detail. Not more detail, but they're a little nearer for your full attention.
for me crystals ( one size smaller than normal) is a BCD show

May 12, 2024 at 5:13 AM Post #40,613 of 40,613
for me crystals ( one size smaller than normal) is a BCD show
Why I run MS instead of M :) On Xelastec I HAVE to run MS (they're too big and too sticky to force). On crystals it's a choice.
With the Radon 6 MS are kind of a PITA because they don't stick in securely (they do when clean on initial input) as my skin oils get on the tips they slide out. But on the EVO they fit so snugly it's a deeper fit with better contact. The trade-off I make on the RN6 is that the MS are like detail on steroids while the M, even though they fit more securely and never slip out, create more "room" but without that millimeter's difference in depth throw-off tone and details. It's one of those things once you hear it you can't go back.

Makes me wonder how the CIEM guys have it 🤭

Users who are viewing this thread

Back